HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2014, 09:40 AM
Joined Feb 2012
187 Posts
Discussion
Looking for a large scale plan

Wanting build a large plane out of foam. Maybe 12to 16 ft ws.
Anyone know where I can find a plan? Maybe like the pink Floyd just a little smaller
mensite is offline Find More Posts by mensite
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2014, 12:02 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,465 Posts
Have you looked in the -- Giant Electric Planes forum -- many may not be foam, but any plane can be converted.

If you fancy something scale and multi motored -- Ivans Plans -- is a good place to look.

If you are going to make something big, make it worth the effort and a good looker. Not a lot of point in just making a 'big' model, because it's big.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Apr 03, 2014, 05:35 AM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Mar 2012
117 Posts
mensite, here is a set of links to test flite that shows what they have bult (monster build) foam built planes. These are everything you are asking for.
http://flitetest.com/articles/monste...-400th-episode
http://flitetest.com/articles/monster-build-tips
baronbernie is offline Find More Posts by baronbernie
Old Apr 03, 2014, 07:04 AM
PowerTower
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2009
944 Posts
Could you not just get a standard plan (for Pink Floyd or whatever) and scale-up ?
If your model plan is imperial and current W/S is say 36", just x4 all dimensions to get your 12ft W/S model. Or call each 1in measure 100mm (10cm) and you convert to metric at the same time
RWData is offline Find More Posts by RWData
Old Apr 03, 2014, 02:23 PM
Joined Feb 2012
187 Posts
Would that be the same for fus,elev. and rud
Old Apr 03, 2014, 03:13 PM
Joined Sep 2011
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensite View Post
Would that be the same for fus,elev. and rud
Well, try to be a clever guy and answer that for yourself. If you can't please don't insist for help here. Flying bigger stuff means bigger responsibility. For the sake and health of the folks around you ideally combined with at least basic intelligence.

Which, if you're serious about the above questions, you've already proven you should thoroughly work on first... 😝
mysticranger is offline Find More Posts by mysticranger
Old Apr 03, 2014, 05:47 PM
Joined Feb 2012
187 Posts
Wow asked honest question and get a smart donkey remark ...
I thought that's what this place is for . For People like us that don't know everything .
Old Apr 03, 2014, 05:53 PM
Marty Petri Sr.
Thailand, Uttaradit, Bo Thong
Joined Jun 2007
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWData View Post
Could you not just get a standard plan (for Pink Floyd or whatever) and scale-up ?
If your model plan is imperial and current W/S is say 36", just x4 all dimensions to get your 12ft W/S model. Or call each 1in measure 100mm (10cm) and you convert to metric at the same time
Mensite, yes the entire plan x4, beware what you are getting into, 8x the amount of foam, 8x the amount of glues, 8x++ the cost of electric components. 8x transport problems. 8x storage problems.

MysticRanger, absolutely no need for your rudeness.

Marty

Edit: Sorry 8x should have been 16x. See images
mbpetri is offline Find More Posts by mbpetri
Last edited by mbpetri; Apr 03, 2014 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Math error
Old Apr 03, 2014, 07:52 PM
Joined Feb 2012
187 Posts
Thanks man.. Appreciate the help
Old Apr 03, 2014, 08:41 PM
Old Fogey-ish
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,124 Posts
Mensite ,

What's the largest plane you've built so far ? My suggestion is - build a plane with maybe a 5 or 6 foot wingspan just for the learning experience . Then if it flies well try making a bigger one , maybe 10 or 12 foot wingspan , again for the learning experience . Then if all goes well with THAT one , go for the GIANT .

My largest scratch built so far is a 60" wingspan - definitely learned a lot building it , here it is

FT Old Fogey-ish with 60" wingspan (1 min 56 sec)

A bunch of guys ( I think in Sweden ) built this giant

BMF On Tour - GO BIG Mfk Falkens bidrag - 19. maj 2012 (13 min 16 sec)

Al
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Apr 03, 2014, 09:30 PM
Marty Petri Sr.
Thailand, Uttaradit, Bo Thong
Joined Jun 2007
545 Posts
I am just finishing a highly bashed Kadet Senior, 78" wing span. In best hindsight, I wish (from a $$$ point of view) that I had gone to 39".
So far, 5 sheets 3mm foam, 6 sheets 5mm foam, 1 sheet 3mm ply, 6 tubes of UHU POR, a lot of 5 min and 30 min epoxy, a little 3hr epoxy for wing joints, 6 standard size servos. You get the point, it adds up fast. My wife is not talking to me again
mbpetri is offline Find More Posts by mbpetri
Last edited by mbpetri; Apr 03, 2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2014, 10:02 PM
United States, UT, Garden City
Joined Aug 2011
403 Posts
Hey mensite, I think it's a great idea to try. I've never built one that big before, but I have doubled up the size of a couple of 40-50" foam ides and they worked awesome. They really float and take very little power compared to fuel planes of equivalent size.

What I've done is just doubled the 1/4" depron to 1/2 blue or pink foam from the hardware store. That is why I doubled the overall size of the plan. It takes no converting dimensions for odd dimensions such as 3/8" foam in the event of 150% scale up or 5/8" for 125%.

If you really want a12-16' plane then scale up a 4' span foamy by 300-400% and use either 3/4" or 1" foam respectively. It does take more glue and bigger electronics, but if you use cheap stuff from china it will work just fine. Definitely more money, but not too expensive compared to fuel planes with futaba radios!

I'm assuming you've already thought of the transportation and storage issue or you wouldn't have been trying to find a plan. I think that was a really condescending and rude response from the other guy on here and he definitely does not represent most of us. This is supposed to be fun and part of that is doing things that seem crazy! Me personally, I love big cheap foamies! Totally fun and they are usually funnier if they aren't hanger queens
gmwahl is offline Find More Posts by gmwahl
Old Apr 04, 2014, 03:12 AM
PowerTower
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2009
944 Posts
Mens... Look up the FunBat and consider building a big version
A flying friend (Headlessagain on RCG) built a 39" w/s, had a bit of an issue with it (the wing & fuse parted company at 300ft), but otherwise it was a fantastic model . As others have said, I think I would try say a 48" w/s before going massive.
RWData is offline Find More Posts by RWData
Old Apr 04, 2014, 07:08 AM
Joined Feb 2012
187 Posts
I have built 6 ft and it was sweet. I've built plenty of scratch built planes. Most from made up with no plans. Just something I came up with. Guys you know what I mean there is some about these dang planes. You want bigger . I just want to see if I can do it. Nothing like the pleasure of building it then seeing it up in the air. It's in your blood. Also I'm want to try to power it with a weed eater motor.
Old Apr 04, 2014, 07:13 AM
Joined Feb 2012
187 Posts
Old fogey that first video is sweet. I'd like to build that in a 10 or 12 ft