HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2014, 06:35 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,050 Posts
Question
Kyosho Fairwind Owners: we need you for a gigantic project!

It is my intention to organize a world-wide Fairwind sailing day/weekend later this year: one day where anybody and everybody owning a Kyosho Fairwind will sail locally and compete globally with Fairwind owners across the globe. It is like a sailing version of what the free-flight airplane hobbyists call a "postal contest". Only instead of sharing our local results by mail, we'll do it on the internet. Your level of ability is not an issue, your boat need not be expensively equipped, and your membership in any club fleet is not required, though we encourage clubs to participate.

WHAT WE NEED RIGHT NOW:

The "race" will be an upwind/downwind multi-lap race to see what your best time is, sailing any version of the Kyosho Fairwind, on a 50 or 100-meter straight downwind course. Because the winds on race day will be different in every participating location, In advance of the event, I need to create a sort of correction factor formula that corrects your time, based on local wind.

To make that formula, WE NEED DATA FROM YOU: SPECIFICALLY, TIME YOUR FAIRWIND RUNNING STRAIGHT DOWNWIND FOR EITHER 50 OR 100 METERS, AND POST YOUR course length, Fairwind TYPE, BOAT WEIGHT, and TIME AND THE LOCAL WIND SPEED DURING YOUR RUN, RIGHT HERE IN THIS THREAD. If you would please also mention if you are using stock or aftermarket/racing/home-made sails, that can help us too.

If we can get enough data points to create a reasonably fair wind correction formula, then I will announce the actual race date (with input from any interested participants). I will try to pick a date that lets people in Northern and Southern hemispheres and climates both participate, but being in the Midwestern US, I'm in a deep freeze right now so I'm counting on our sailing friends in Australia, New Zealand, and all over South America and Southern Africa to give us their data points NOW, as they sail.

Why are we doing this?

I'm just a huge fan of the Kyosho Fairwind. While the boat is currently in production limbo, the existing hulls out there must number in the thousands, and this event will be designed to bring Fairwind owners together online to show off our boats and promote them as a class that's still relevant to competitors and casual sport sailors alike. It might help revive production of the model so new fans can get them. A secondary goal will be to promote RC sailing to the general public thru news coverage of the world-wide competition.

How many chances will you have to compete internationally.... from your own local pond? For free?

PLEASE: help us with stage one of this project, and post your data points HERE... ASAP!

Thanks!
Aten W Arthog is offline Find More Posts by Aten W Arthog
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2014, 10:13 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,050 Posts
I KNOW there has to be SOME Fairwind owners here... c'mon!
Old Mar 06, 2014, 10:31 AM
Joined Feb 2012
100 Posts
I haven't timed my boat, but am interested. However, I do not look getting to the lake anytime soon since its still frozen over.
scottrc78 is offline Find More Posts by scottrc78
Old Mar 06, 2014, 12:12 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,050 Posts
Thanks for responding. I'm hoping those that sail in warmer climates year-'round can help us out with the data points.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:39 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,386 Posts
Aten
I think you are facing a daunting task with your worthy project. I say this because there seems to be a significant lull in interest in organized RC sailing. Could be due in part to severe weather in parts of the country or be the trying economic times we are in, or just a paradim shift and interests have changed?

I would agree there has to be a lot of Fairwinds out there. One would think a higher level of interest would be present. It maybe these boats have been around so long, owners have lost interest - don't know??

My boat is a bit unique in that it's been converted into a "motor sailor", so I can't race in official AMYA events - well I could, but once it was discovered to be a motor sailor, I am sure there'd be some ruffled feathers amoung the participants. Found those chaps can get a bit sensitive about the rules

I am afraid my lap times could shew the stats I had another stock FW lll but sold it to buddy in Canada.

Perhaps there will be more interest when winter has passed? My primary interest is in RC is sailing and think you have a terrific idea.

Like you I enjoy RC flying, but I just don't find it relaxing. It is fun for sure, but one mistake and your beautiful airplane comes home in a bag Not the case with RC sailboats, and to me, sailing is a truely relaxing pastime - gets exciting when racing is introduced or heavy weather conditions are present.

Oh, do you still have your Fiberglass Seawind? Like to see some pictures (if you still have it.) My first Seawind was the CF edition, sold that and now have two of the ABS models. Like many, sailors I have a number of boats that I enjoy - over the years I've had a number of different models but have distilled the fleet down to those that I consider my favorites.

There are few new boats I may try in the future, time will tell. Again good luck with your idea. I hope you get some interested parties!
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Mar 12, 2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:38 AM
Go Sabres!
Laurel, MD
Joined Aug 2004
778 Posts
Cool idea. I'd love to take my old Fairwind out. Even better if there were some other Fairwind owners nearby. Anybody in the DC/MD/VA area???
savall21 is offline Find More Posts by savall21
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:26 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,050 Posts
I would welcome your Motorized Fairwind to participate, as long as we have your word that you have disconnected the power to the prop for your timed speed run. The idea is to be as "Corinthian" and inclusive as possible. I'm still asking folks who can, due to warm weather, make a timed down-wind run of 50 or 100 meters with their Fairwind at a local pond, and post their times plus the local wind speed here.

The Seawind is still in dry dock; I recently picked up a second Fairwind and am trying to get those Fairwinds ready for my local season. If I have to get the data points by myself, I will, but I'd rather have some world-wide participation.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 01:24 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,386 Posts
Fair enough. Don't have to disconnect anything just wouldn't turn on the power.
We were careful to keep the weight the same as the stock boat and great care was taken to maintain the proper CG of the boat. Weight wise the boat is legal.

It is really fun to surprise folks with it when I travel to other lakes to sail. There is almost no sound generated accept when I "pour on the coals". Always fun to have something different.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Mar 12, 2014, 03:59 PM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
New Zealand, Northland, Totara North
Joined Feb 2012
480 Posts
Too complicated cant we just have a best looking boat competition!
D design is offline Find More Posts by D design
Old Apr 20, 2014, 06:11 PM
Joined Jan 2014
10 Posts
Hi, I just bought an old unassembeled Fairwind kit. Don't know when I will be able to sail it, but I would be interested in this project.
Mike Breatore is offline Find More Posts by Mike Breatore
Old Apr 20, 2014, 06:44 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,050 Posts
Welcome aboard, captain Mike! :-)

You're going to love how this boat sails, especially in light air, it looks VERY "scale".

There's plenty of advice on the web on how to build the boat from kit form. The Bakersfield thread is probably the most well-known. But if you have the instructions, really, it is simple.

Before you assemble anything, if you're really interested in making it look as perfect as possible, spend the time going over the bare hull before doing anything, sanding and filling the the seams, especially on the bow topsides and the fantail section, then prime and paint it. I use rattle-can Krylon Fusion brand, and I think it looks very good with little effort. You can go more work-intensive, but an awesome finish and a good finish look about the same ten feet offshore, is what I feel. :-)

When you Do get her built, I would love to hear about it, and to get some performance stats from you for the Big Project. I have bought a Digital anemometer, and a laser range-finder, and will be staking out my pond to lay out the race course next weekend, time trials will then follow, as my work schedule permits.

Remember, what I need is your boat's weight, the local wind speed, and the time in seconds that it takes to go down-wind from marker to marker on a straight, 100 or 50-meter run. Knowing if your sails are stock or after-market/home made helps, too.

A 100-meter spool of twine or thread is around $5, if you don't have a distance measuring system. Fishing bobbers with weights for the markers and some fishing line: $4, or just have two friends on the shore with simple sighting sticks tell you when you've crossed the imaginary line.

Then just use a stopwatch, your wrist watch, or have a buddy shoot a video using their phone. Putting it into your computer to view, or posting it to Facebook or Youtube gives you a running "time code" right at the bottom of the screen, and proves you ran the legal course.

We'll take it from there, plugging your weight and wind data and your time into our spreadsheet algorithm, and giving an overall, corrected score/time that everyone can compare to for fun and bragging rights. That's the essence of the idea.
Last edited by Aten W Arthog; Apr 20, 2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 07:06 PM
Joined Jan 2014
10 Posts
When I start I will probably do a build thread with a lot of photos. But, this is a hobby so time is not a priority. I just finished this one in about 6 months. Sorry, I know this is a sail boa forum.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 08:23 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,050 Posts
That's a lovely classic motorboat, and you obviously need no coaching from me on how to finish off your hulls:-) CSB time: there's a guy at my lake I saw, the last time I was out sailing in my full-scale scow, and he had a classic boat very similar to this one that he had just finished restoring. You could still smell the varnish on her. He'd re-built the engine and made the hull and interior look factory-new from about 1959 or so. We watched from just offshore, because he had the ramp while we waited to come in from a day on the water. After launching, he tried to start the engine, but it only ran for a few seconds, then died and wouldn't re-start.

The next part was a little bit sad. That boat had lifting rings fore and aft, meant for use with a crane to get the boat in and out of the water. You *can* use the forward ring for attaching a painter in low-stress conditions... HE used the forward ring with the winch on his trailer, to bring the boat back onto the half-submerged trailer. But the lifting rings were built for * tension *, for a load in the vertical dimension, not for side-ways * shear * loads from a trailer winch.

Half-way on the trailer, the ring broke loose and took out a five-inch section of freshly-restored bow and foredeck /stem sub-structure with it. By the time they got the boat onto the trailer, he found out it had gotten heavier from shipping water into an engine cooling inlet. Draining the motor/bilge of lake water took him a good half-hour before he pulled out to re-repair the boat.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 08:53 PM
Joined Jan 2014
10 Posts
Thats a real shame. Probably left the drain bung out. I Used to own a '50 CC Racing Runabout would love to afford another one. But, back to the subject, Do you have a link to the Bakersfield thread?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 09:21 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,050 Posts
http://www.sailbakersfield.com/uploa...for_racing.pdf