HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2014, 08:16 PM
a little kid at heart
Poulsbo, Wa
Joined Sep 2004
1,206 Posts
Wing Rock

I have a bad case of wing rock. Worse on high alpha but its there even during level flight to some degree.

I also get a tip stall on sharp turns. I know this is inevitable but its really bad.

Any ideas?

Cg is at the rec location. Ive tried further back but doesnt seem to help'

Thanks

Bill
poulsbobill is offline Find More Posts by poulsbobill
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2014, 08:47 PM
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poulsbobill View Post
I have a bad case of wing rock. Worse on high alpha but its there even during level flight to some degree.

I also get a tip stall on sharp turns. I know this is inevitable but its really bad.

Any ideas?

Cg is at the rec location. Ive tried further back but doesnt seem to help'

Thanks

Bill
What's your power setup? Tip stall will happen if airspeed is too slow to fly the plane (as you probably know). An aggressive turn with too little airspeed will stall the plane and cause the dive. For the wing rock, move the CG forward. It should feel more solid further forward. Planes are more maneuverable with CG aft and tend to torque roll better but for just normal aerobatic turns, you should be good a little forward. The recommended CG is a guide and generally for the TH Power combo incl. the servos... FWIW...
ROLLING CIRCLE is offline Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:17 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,101 Posts
What props are you guys using? Just curious

J
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:28 PM
wrecklessly misspeling stuff..
SAC ca
Joined Feb 2009
889 Posts
7x3.5 gws dd or 6x3 gws direct drive. The smaller of the two seems to make all the surfaces more effective.
tuck is offline Find More Posts by tuck
Old Feb 28, 2014, 01:03 AM
Can't get enough
Joined May 2010
2,101 Posts
I'm using 7x3.5 power combo... haven't tried the other. On the crack mini I use the same prop and love the way it flys.

J
Old Feb 28, 2014, 01:41 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,190 Posts
The CPM has always had the 7x3.5 on the CYM I started out with a 6x3 but went to the 7 not long afterwards.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Feb 28, 2014, 02:49 PM
Can't get enough
Joined May 2010
2,101 Posts
Tried the lower prop last night and was disappointed. Back to the 7x3.5.

J
Old Feb 28, 2014, 03:37 PM
a little kid at heart
Poulsbo, Wa
Joined Sep 2004
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLING CIRCLE View Post
What's your power setup? Tip stall will happen if airspeed is too slow to fly the plane (as you probably know). An aggressive turn with too little airspeed will stall the plane and cause the dive. For the wing rock, move the CG forward. It should feel more solid further forward. Planes are more maneuverable with CG aft and tend to torque roll better but for just normal aerobatic turns, you should be good a little forward. The recommended CG is a guide and generally for the TH Power combo incl. the servos... FWIW...
Have the stock power setup. Will try the fore cg setting and see what happens.

Thanks

Bill
poulsbobill is offline Find More Posts by poulsbobill
Old Feb 28, 2014, 09:16 PM
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
792 Posts
Also, for grins, hold your plane and go to WOT fast as she will go and make sure your power is steady full on for a minute or so. Just to check if your ESC and battery are all good. If you feel surge and fall in the output, could be weak packs causing air to slow down on the surface. In general, this plane likes to go fast IMHO.
ROLLING CIRCLE is offline Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2014, 06:38 AM
Poland, Masovian Voivodeship, Warsaw
Joined Mar 2006
90 Posts
Small tip for battery mounting in cut slot. The slot becomes loose in time, so you can reinforce it with tape and to avoid slipping off the battery (very funny flying...) the technique of dry Welders or Uhu Por helps a lot. Personally I used "flussig gummi" from Conrad and it works very well...
kinemax is offline Find More Posts by kinemax
Old Apr 04, 2014, 08:50 AM
Raikkonen for President
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
7,149 Posts
If the wing rock happens during level flight look for surface slop too - torn hinge, slop in the rods, or a loose aileron servo
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick