HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:49 AM
Joined Dec 2012
95 Posts
Discussion
Arduino-controlled transmitter

It has been suggested that I move my build log thread for my custom transmitter over here. Guess I need a moderator for help with that. In the meantime, take a look if you haven't already seen this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1800914

Basically I'm hacking an existing transmitter and controlling the channels using digital potentiometers (i2c bus) controlled by an Arduino. See the thread for extensive details and lots of video.
Skystream is offline Find More Posts by Skystream
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:05 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Hoogvliet
Joined Jul 2008
270 Posts
Hi there,
I've been doing that also a while ago. Are you also mutliplexing 2 or 3 channels to form codes. I have had 2 channels of a cheap Hobbyking transmitter split in 9 parts each (enough space for little noise). By multiplexing I could switch a lot of functions. That boat side interpreted the "commands" and switched the function on/off in a latch function or momentary on/off. I used MCP41010 (256 steps). The only reason that I didn't go on with the project was that it wasn't universal enough to build for/by other without a lot of knowledge about the protocol. It's nice to see that people still use these kind of things, The protocol can be rocksolid.

Danny
Dutchraptor is online now Find More Posts by Dutchraptor
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:07 PM
Joined Dec 2012
95 Posts
Nope, not doing any multiplexing because I don't need it. This is a small model and we have 6 channels to work with and we only are able to come up with uses for 4 so far.
Skystream is offline Find More Posts by Skystream
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:43 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,708 Posts
If you are doing a boat build and a control buid, i like to think our preference is to do the overall build thread in the appropriate forum, and for the custom control guts to feature THAT build here in homebrew hacks. If the primary focus of the build is the control system, then yes, it should be feautured here in home brew hacks.

The request to move a thread is located in the moderator functions button on all of your posts
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome