HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:41 PM
Intermediate boob
Seoul, Korea
Joined Nov 2009
386 Posts
Question
Any suggestions for a pylon racer tx? Or what min characteristics?

I'm getting into pylon racing after some sport flying. Been flying with a DX7 and now DX8 for three years total, but was considering Hitec Aurora 9 or Futaba 14mz so far. I wanna get something with least latency (Futaba) and avoid those interference video FPV dudes (A9) who are now a permanent fixture at our club.

What am I looking for in a pylon racer tx?
demuddy is offline Find More Posts by demuddy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:54 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
6,980 Posts
Good sticks.

I use an A9. Its a good radio as long as your not trying to program anything strange, the programming can be goofy and lil limited in some regards.
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:23 AM
I am actually really slow
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
907 Posts
Radios are so fast these days if you think you can feel the latency difference between a JR or Futaba you're just kidding yourself. Features are also getting a bit excessive. I have an older JR 12x and I doubt I'll ever use half the functions it's capable off.

Just buy what feels most comfortable for you. Pylon guys here are using the JR xg8's and 11's. They look weird but are very light and comfortable.

Ps, nothing wrong with a DX7 for pylon models!
SlowBarless is offline Find More Posts by SlowBarless
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber up close
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:58 AM
Barnsley, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Dec 2000
628 Posts
Futaba is convenient as there is no satellite receivers making installation in tight F5 fuselages a little easier. As a minimum you will need flight mode switching and also throttle ramps as the 'D' flyers are starting to use these to help on launch and reduce prop stalling during the first lap acceleration, thereby saving energy.

Ive just got the new 14SG for F5B. It seems to do most things required, but is quirky in its programming and not as flexible in terms of flight modes as possibly the 14/18mz, but its also a quarter of the price. It also has telemetry if you require it.
Mark Haigh is offline Find More Posts by Mark Haigh
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:37 AM
I am actually really slow
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
907 Posts
The carbon spectrum receivers have no satellite and work just fine to Futaba isn't anymore convenient these days. Both systems work just as well as each other. You're already with Spektrum, probably best to stick with it IMO
SlowBarless is offline Find More Posts by SlowBarless
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber up close
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:49 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
6,980 Posts
All Hitec optima rxs have no satelites, and work brilliantly in heavy carbon models (without making ya plane look like a catfish either ) Theyre also a good shape for sticking into tight fuselages.

As has been said, dont worry about latency. Its 99% BS.

SO... Get what you want
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:58 PM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jun 2007
392 Posts
I've been flying with a DX7 and more recently a DX8 for the last few years. Using the AR7000, AR7010, AR8000, AR6210, AR6200, AR6255 -

all but the AR6255 use the sat, the 6255 is the two-antenna carbon fuse glider RX, and I've had no problems at all with them in race planes. Lately the planes have AR8000 and the AR6255, primarily. I like the packaging of the 8000 better than the 7010 and 6210, but I've had no troubles with any of them.

Q500, Q40, and EF1 planes.
fizzwater2 is online now Find More Posts by fizzwater2
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:08 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,118 Posts
On a side note but still related;
Been trying to program ramp and throttle on a button with my DX8 for a F5B application, and have yet to find a way to do this. Servo delay and pitch curve settings are useless since they work in both directions (bad for brake) and with a mix assigning the button to the throttle the pitch curve and delay won't work.....
Anyone with a solution???
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx