HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:28 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Discussion
55cc FOCKE WULF FW-190-A 70 - ESM

I'm about to start a build on a FOCKE WULF FW-190-A 70 - ESM i will Run a DLE 55 or DLA 56 not sure at this stage
I will pick up the plane and retracts today and if my local HS gives me a good deal on the motor i will buy the DLE 55 if not i will get the DLA 56 from HK it's about 180dollars cheaper landed here in NZ
A couple of guys from another club are running DLE55 in their THUNDERBOLT P-47D 1800mm wingspan i was very Impressed at the performance
The instructions says you need 4 High torque servos and 5 standard servos, I will use Hyperion Atlas FMD20 digitals for the hight torque ones
Can anyone tell me what good standard digital servos i could get from HK
These look like a nice servo but I'm not sure about the quality

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...sec_46_5g.html

Cheers
Adrian
Adrian_M is offline Find More Posts by Adrian_M
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:07 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Father Christmas arrived today
I decided to use Hyperion Atlas throuout
HP-DS20-FMD for Ailerons,Elevator and Rudder,Flaps
HP-DS16FMD for Throttle and retracts valve
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:34 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
The DLE55 looks goodnot as big as expected I will mount it and see how much I'll have to cut out of the cowel
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:21 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
1,828 Posts
I'm planning to get the 70" WS EMS FW 190. I will be interested in how your build goes.
600Bob is offline Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:22 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
I Have another friend putting the 55 in a ESM Ki-84 Hayate it will make a nice change from the norm
Everything looked good till I put the muffler on the motor
A few pics of the motor mounted and [Cowl hacking] you could call it
some finishing off on the cowl. Servos next Not sure how much i like the pull pull elevator setup they recommend
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:51 AM
Kansas City
Joined Apr 2010
571 Posts
Looks like you did a good job relieving the cowl to clear the muffler.
Lifer is online now Find More Posts by Lifer
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:39 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
Looks like you did a good job relieving the cowl to clear the muffler.
Thanks I tried a DLE55 rear exaust would have worked much better
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:40 PM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Apr 2012
24 Posts
That's an awful lot of engine for that size plane.

Cheers,
1ruffdog is offline Find More Posts by 1ruffdog
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:47 AM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ruffdog View Post
That's an awful lot of engine for that size plane.

Cheers,
LOL I know what you saying But the reality is that it only weight 280 gram more than a DLE 30
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:13 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1 Posts
Any progress on the plane?
I just ordered the same kit from ESM that I intend to couple with a DLE-35RA. Just can't wait!!
Demarchi is offline Find More Posts by Demarchi
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:28 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_M View Post
LOL I know what you saying But the reality is that it only weight 280 gram more than a DLE 30
Which is fine because this plane requires a snot load of nose weight. Might as well make use of the weight instead of dead lead.

I built one with a saito 180 up front. I added 9oz of dead weight PLUS 2x 6v 2300mah nimh rx packs ONTOP of the motormount rails in front of the firewall.
Also put the throttle servo in front of the firewall too.

With that 55 gasser, you'll probably need to put the ignition module AND its battery in front of the firewall to get correct balance. CG should be 133mm from leading edge. Do not put it further back. This plane is especially sensitive to even being close to tail heavy.

Every plane is this photo is mine save the small PICA 190 D9 at far left. You can see the 70" ESM fw-190A nicely in this shot. The ESM air gear for this plane works quite well, but you need to make sure you take the air cylinder apart and put some teflon/plumbers tape on the threads and then put it back together. Locktite all bolts and WD40 the axles occasionally since it's metal on metal.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:29 AM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Hi Demarchi
I have made this plane a kind of a long term project so i work on it in between my other projects, I'm trying to finish my Nemesis NXT at the moment I'm nearly there retracts, wing servos and I will be able to maiden it
BTW feel free to post any pictures of your build, the more the merrier I say

Hi kahloq

Thanks for the info great idea about putting the throttle servo on the firewall. I will do that for sure
you have a fantastic fleet in your hangar
Did you do any work on the retract mount on the wings?, I have been told that they are very week and that i should beef them up
Do you have any video of yours flying ?
Any pictures of your throttle servo setup?
Cheers
Adrian
Last edited by Adrian_M; Jan 20, 2013 at 04:46 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:00 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
I added extra glue around the joints in the retract mount areas, but nothing drastic.

Pics.
In the 1st one.....the throttle servo is on the underside of the tray.

2nd one shows routing of the flex muffler. I dont recommend this as it is too easy for the motor to flood and happens quickly. I have to use surgical clamp(hemostats) to pinch close the carb fuel line while fueling and can only remove them until Im absolutely ready to start the motor. Also have to fill an outside fuel tankl of same displacement as whats in the plane then transfer it to plane otherwise cylinder will still flood thru the muffler exhaust port. This can be avoided if a fuel regulator is installed.

3rd pics shows I made the gun hood open so I could hide all the switches.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:01 PM
COFFS HARBOUR AUSTRALIA
Joined Aug 2004
27 Posts
Fw 190

Hi Nice job could you tell me were you purchased your spinner! I have a 96" FW and am still looking for a spinner Not many around down here in Aus
Rob..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq View Post
I added extra glue around the joints in the retract mount areas, but nothing drastic.

Pics.
In the 1st one.....the throttle servo is on the underside of the tray.

2nd one shows routing of the flex muffler. I dont recommend this as it is too easy for the motor to flood and happens quickly. I have to use surgical clamp(hemostats) to pinch close the carb fuel line while fueling and can only remove them until Im absolutely ready to start the motor. Also have to fill an outside fuel tankl of same displacement as whats in the plane then transfer it to plane otherwise cylinder will still flood thru the muffler exhaust port. This can be avoided if a fuel regulator is installed.

3rd pics shows I made the gun hood open so I could hide all the switches.
XTRA230 is offline Find More Posts by XTRA230
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:46 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTRA230 View Post
Hi Nice job could you tell me were you purchased your spinner! I have a 96" FW and am still looking for a spinner Not many around down here in Aus
Rob..
SDShobby.net

This is the one you'd want...its 4.5" I have one on my ESM fw-190 D9
http://www.sdshobby.net/45cnc-alumin...ck-p-6011.html