HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2012, 05:49 AM
United States, PA, York
Joined Apr 2012
44 Posts
Discussion
How do you guys feel about Nitroplanes? (The company)

My intention is not to "bad mouth" these guys, but I will just state that in (3) deals so far with them, I have had (3) issues with damaged/missing parts.

Tech support over the phone took an hour + wait on Friday afternoon, and the chat rep. was clueless on how to identify the replacement parts I needed.

After I spoke to the rep on the phone, I was "promised" the parts would be sent, "sometime" in the next week or so when they process the order.

They could not give me a confirmation number or email, however they said they would send me an email when the parts are shipped.

I like the prices/selection that they have on their site, and their demonstration vids of the products are good...but I am considering not doing business with them anymore because of these issues I am having with them.

Just wanted to get some feedback from fellow modelers who have done business with them; what has your experiences been like?
rckatz is offline Find More Posts by rckatz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:47 AM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,677 Posts
I've never dealt with the Nitroplanes site, but I have ordered a lot from their companion sites Xheli and Hobbypartz and never had any issues. My only real complaint, and it's a very minor one, is that they don't send any tracking info. Stuff ships and appears on my doorstep with no contact after the order is placed. Like I said, never had any problems at all, but I expect that if I ever do have any problems, customer service is probably going to be a pain.
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Jun 16, 2012, 09:14 AM
United States, NC, Faison
Joined Jan 2011
676 Posts
I personaly have never had one. I have seen 2 at my airfield and they both fell apart. Both of them were big stick's. The fuse folded up on landing and it was not a hard landing. After I seen that hapen I would never own one.

I am partial to Great Planes, Hangar 9, Wild Hare RC, Extreme Flight, 3D Hobby Shop, RC Guys and SIG. I have had veary little issues with these manufactures.
rjstrickjr is offline Find More Posts by rjstrickjr
Old Jun 16, 2012, 09:47 AM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
1,754 Posts
A club member ordered a PBY from them and it came in damaged(broken stab and wing tip). He ordered a second one and it too came in damaged (same damage as the first plus the engine was broke loose from the firewall). He spent a week trying to get someone's attention then sent pictures, etc...their normal routine. He was finally offered $13.00 for the damage on both planes. He will never order from them again.
flyinwalenda is online now Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:10 AM
USA, WV, Parkersburg
Joined Jun 2007
810 Posts
Their kinda like hobby king, cheap prices but poor customer support. I ordered a rtf plane for a friend and the tx/rx had poor range, it would go maybe 150 ft then loose signal. I called and tried to get them to help me and after 3 phone calls finally got ahold of someone and they said it was my fault, we never even flew the plane with the rtf tx/rx. Just did a range check and put another tx/rx in it. Well I guess they didn't like me telling them their stuff was broke so they banned me from ordering from their site.
I'll never buy from them again

Garrett
Garrett1234567 is offline Find More Posts by Garrett1234567
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:29 AM
To build or fly today?
United States, AL, Gulf Shores
Joined Feb 2008
605 Posts
I've seen several with the guys I fly with. Amazing how nicely a foam plane can be done up but really doubt I'd ever blow the dough on one. If anything like HK planes.... a definite no.
Doubledog is offline Find More Posts by Doubledog
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:12 AM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
9,883 Posts
truth be told. i have got everything i have ordered with no trouble from nitro, and hobbypartz too
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: very fun FPV
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:24 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,793 Posts
Everything I've bought from them has been perfect, but I only buy motors, esc, lights, and batteries from the nitro/x-heli/hobbypartz family. Super fast shipping
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:32 PM
Watch for flying foam!
Las Vegas, NV.
Joined May 2009
381 Posts
I have ordered quite a few planes from nitroplanes and I have been lucky enough to not have any issues. My Dynam T-28 arrived missing the cowl so I posted up my problem on the nitroplanes forum on this site and someone from nitroplanes got back to me and after I gave them my order number they sent me a new cowl in a couple of days.

I have probably ordered more stuff from from hobbypartz and haven't had an issue with them yet either. Although I did get a wierd feeling when I ordered a Dynam/detrum 40amp esc. When it arrived it was in a small shipping box along with the servos I ordered. The wierd thing was that the esc was not in a package. it was just sitting in the box. All of the other dynam/detrum esc's I have ordered were in a manufacturer packaging. I just got a wierd feeling this esc was used or at least installed in something. Maybe it was or maybe it wasn't I can't say for sure but it has been working fine.
Captain Ron is offline Find More Posts by Captain Ron
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:07 PM
United States, PA, York
Joined Apr 2012
44 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Since I am just now getting back into this hobby after a 15 yr. layoff, I'm not sure who is "reputable" these days. Back then we only had a handful of mail order choices - Tower/Hobby-Lobby...I forget the others.

Garrett posted about TX/RX range issues. Now I'm concerned about that. I will have to range check these radios good to verify they are suitable. In most of the vids the pilot does use the Dynam radio without any issues.

Will the Dynam servos connect into other (Futaba/JR, etc.) radio systems or must the plugs be changed?

Years ago, a lot of the manufactures used different connectors so were had to cut/solder new ends on them if we were swapping radio systems.
rckatz is offline Find More Posts by rckatz
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:41 PM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
409 Posts
nitroplanes

I have a 800mm foam warbird that is great. Shipped fast and arrived in great condition.
amazing price for these planes. I put in orangerx RX from hobbyking and a 3s 1000mah battery and flies straight up forever. Total cost with battery and rx and shipping = $85.
Foam on these is very very durable.

the 800mm (31.5") airfield warbird planes have quite the following.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1259209

EDIT
I was just on nitroplanes website and look like they don't have the ARF's anymore.
There are 2 RTF's still --but I would use my own TX which has expo and dual rates.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/aircwar.html
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Last edited by flyrtim; Jun 16, 2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:57 PM
Joined May 2012
15 Posts
I ordered a dynam c47 from them and it shipped really fast, no damage. I havent had a problem yet with my tx/rx. Its a really nice looking and flying plane.
outofgas is offline Find More Posts by outofgas
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
Nothing but Good things from them!

I have 4 Nitroplane, aircraft. I have a Dynam P51, Dynam PBY, Airfield P47 and and an Airfielld Stuka. When I orded them, they showed up in great shape. The only problem I had was my P47 had a loose pilot in the canopy, and I called tech support and with in a week, I had a new canopy. Their tech support people have been great. I buy their batteries, sky lippos. I did get one with a bad cell and they didn't mind that I had soldered a new connector. I sent it back and within a few days I got a new battery. The airplanes fly nicely. The only one that has crashed is my Stuka, and that was my fault for trying to fly it on it's maiden flight on a very gusty day. I repaired it and it flew again great. I had a T-28 from Horizon that few well till the aileron servo deflected full just after takeoff and it bent my propeller shaft, broke the wing and fuselage. I liked the quality of my T-28 but "sh#t happens." I recommend Nitroplanes. They are good quality for the price. All but my PBY and Stuka, have retractable gear, and flaps. Not many planes have that at the price. Except maybe Banana Hobby. Bought one from them a month ago and I am still waiting on my replacement Receiver (12 channel), by replacement Nose gear and right main gear (both plastic). The wiring for the servos was all screwy and I had to fix that. Will not buy from them as it takes forever to get in touch with tech support, and their planes are more expensive than Nitros.
bettascott is offline Find More Posts by bettascott
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:30 PM
Joined Dec 2010
190 Posts
I have orderd quite a bit from NitroPlanes and have had a few problems but they have always been fixed. Just see my recent post. I will continue to buy from them as long as the price is right and they put out interesting products.
FoamieFlier is offline Find More Posts by FoamieFlier
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:45 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2011
183 Posts
I have bought several things from nitro planes including their 800mm P-51, 800mm P-40, and their 64mm Concept X Pro. I have been very satisfied with their products, at least for the price. Nitroplanes isn't great for a beginner though because the majority of their plane require some extra work such a foam trimming and screw tightening. I remember the first time I bought from them the plane arrived a bit tail heavy and I didn't know what to do about it. Their planes fly good, not great though for example my Concept X flew and was very reliable, but it was a bit slow for and EDF Jet. Furthermore their customer service is great. As long as you don't make them wait long for your response they are very informative even in the technical aspects. One time my p-51 arrived without a set screw and I asked for a set screw to be shipped to me. Three days later to my surprise they sent me a whole new motor. In the end, Nitroplanes is a great distributor and I would recommend it for mid to advance flyer wanting to get a small parkflier.
UltraMicro is offline Find More Posts by UltraMicro