HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2011, 07:42 AM
United Kingdom, England, Worksop
Joined May 2011
194 Posts
Just ran 2 packs through the bike this lunchtime, that pin seems to be holding.....

great fun....wheelies, donuts (if a little crazy) just what I need after a morning of Microsoft !!!!!!!

cant wait for battery packs to charge so i can go out tonight.....lets see if it can keep it up.....

Kev
madbadger is offline Find More Posts by madbadger
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2011, 03:59 PM
Joined May 2011
194 Posts
ran nearly 3 packs tonight, racing my friends buggy.....god that is fast....then the chain kept coming off, the chain has stretched so much, the wheel wouldn't go back far enough to get any tension. So I knocked a link out and turned the wheel clamps the other way round.....but now the slipper clutch has welded itself together!!!! I have managed to part it and the alloy clutch plate has near worn in half. It had burnt into the clutch pad. I must have had it slipping to much. Does anyone know of any material I could use to replace it.....

Loads of fun though while it lasted.....LOL.....
Old Jun 17, 2011, 05:01 PM
Grand Rapids MI.
Joined May 2000
1,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbadger View Post
ran nearly 3 packs tonight, racing my friends buggy.....god that is fast....then the chain kept coming off, the chain has stretched so much, the wheel wouldn't go back far enough to get any tension. So I knocked a link out and turned the wheel clamps the other way round.....but now the slipper clutch has welded itself together!!!! I have managed to part it and the alloy clutch plate has near worn in half. It had burnt into the clutch pad. I must have had it slipping to much. Does anyone know of any material I could use to replace it.....

Loads of fun though while it lasted.....LOL.....
I successfully used gasket material from the auto parts store, it's about .060 in thick, I used 2 pieces ca'd together and cut out the octagon shape, it worked pretty good until I got a new gear. The 1/8 scale buggies are nice, we have a big indoor local track with a ventalation system to run nitro in the winter and they are impressive, very big air
RICH S is offline Find More Posts by RICH S
Old Jun 18, 2011, 03:00 PM
Joined Apr 2006
154 Posts
New VMX450 owner here- I got the bike two days ago. Took it out for its maiden run this afternoon- 5 minutes into the run, the bike wouldn't go straight for nuthin', it just kept flopping from side to side.

Pulled the wheel apart to find the gears utterly destroyed...after FIVE MINUTES...what a piece of junk.

Thanks a lot for making your customers an unpaid part of your product improvement team Venom...

Email sent your way for steel gears- hope you ship quickly so my brand new bike doesn't sit on the shelf for too long.
baldwinc is offline Find More Posts by baldwinc
Old Jun 18, 2011, 04:52 PM
Joined May 2011
194 Posts
most of us have had the same gears shear.....also on the rebuild check the clutch gap (inside the gyro) and also set the slipper clutch, if its to tight it will just wheelie off the line and end up ripping the body work off at the back near the wheelie bar......

I thought Venom were shipping all new bikes with the steel gears in the box for owners to replace. Maybe your is one of the first bikes (like mine)

Once they are set up right......they are good fun to run

Kev
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:18 AM
Joined May 2011
194 Posts
Slipper clutch burnt out!!!

Hi Nick, ran the bike the other night, managed 3 packs racing my friend with his nitro buggy....great fun....then the bike started to flip-wheelie, very little control....i thought 'ah clutch is grabbing to much' so i slackened the clutch nut off, set off and out of control again, picked the bike up and noticed the nut was nearly off the threads....when i got home i stripped the clutch down and the clutch plate (behind the spur gear) had welded itself to the clutch pad. I prised it off with a screw driver and the pad had almost gone. The alloy clutch plate was worn nearly in half!!! the centre had wore itself into the spur gear bearing and i think its melted the metal shield that covers the bearings....any ideas what I've done wrong? clutch slipping to much? Would it be better if the red clutch plate was made of steel? and instead of the two tension washers under the nut, a spring instead???

Im now waiting for parts again......

regards

Kev
Last edited by madbadger; Jun 19, 2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 02:13 PM
Grand Rapids MI.
Joined May 2000
1,978 Posts
Quote:
Hi Nick, ran the bike the other night, managed 3 packs racing my friend with his nitro buggy....great fun....then the bike started to flip-wheelie, very little control....i thought 'ah clutch is grabbing to much' so i slackened the clutch nut off, set off and out of control again, picked the bike up and noticed the nut was nearly off the threads....when i got home i stripped the clutch down and the clutch plate (behind the spur gear) had welded itself to the clutch pad. I prised it off with a screw driver and the pad had almost gone. The alloy clutch plate was worn nearly in half!!! the centre had wore itself into the spur gear bearing and i think its melted the metal shield that covers the bearings....any ideas what I've done wrong? clutch slipping to much? Would it be better if the red clutch plate was made of steel? and instead of the two tension washers under the nut, a spring instead???

Im now waiting for parts again......

regards

Kev

I have a pressure plate like that one too. go figure. Mine happened when the wheel/gyro was binding up putting excessive force on that slipper clutch, I'm finding these bikes are also sensitve to the chain stretching, once it does it starts wearing out a lot of other parts as well, perhaps due to the "jerky" operation of it/ If you try to pull that wheel back some ,it's dicey also, too tight and bad things also happen. I replaced every drive part from the slipper to the wheel, with new components and it's running pretty good, and they are not kidding when they say to remove and oil the wheel after every 6 runs, the oil dries up from the axle that fast. It's a cool bike, hopefully they come out with some upgrades to help some of these issues which I'm sure they will like all other rc vehicles, it is a frustrating one, but I think after a month and 1/2 of ownership I have this thing figured out.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 04:18 PM
Joined May 2011
194 Posts
A freind of mine has been running RC buggies for years, he said he has never changed a clutch in one!!!!!! he said its a bad design if its making a mess of the slipper clutch like it is.

What i do is take out a screw from the rear sprocket and stick a pipe in and squirt in WD40, it seems to lubricate the gears ok and it soaks through the shaft.....i was using chain spray but i think WD40 is lighter and more penetrating.

Yes i agree with the chain, ive used chain spray on it, but its like a skipping rope now, its stretched that much i had to take a link out.

Im going to ask my engineer freind to see if he can make me a pressure plate from steel, im also gonna look at getting some part of a car clutch plate and try to fabricate a clutch pad instead of that fibre pad. Im sure they are suppose to last long than they are doing.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 05:30 PM
Grand Rapids MI.
Joined May 2000
1,978 Posts
Quote:
A freind of mine has been running RC buggies for years, he said he has never changed a clutch in one!!!!!! he said its a bad design if its making a mess of the slipper clutch like it is.

What i do is take out a screw from the rear sprocket and stick a pipe in and squirt in WD40, it seems to lubricate the gears ok and it soaks through the shaft.....i was using chain spray but i think WD40 is lighter and more penetrating.

Yes i agree with the chain, ive used chain spray on it, but its like a skipping rope now, its stretched that much i had to take a link out.

Im going to ask my engineer freind to see if he can make me a pressure plate from steel, im also gonna look at getting some part of a car clutch plate and try to fabricate a clutch pad instead of that fibre pad. Im sure they are suppose to last long than they are doing.
Definitely, I have slipper clutches on off road cars that are 3 years old, the design on a lot of things on this bike are off. I'm having good luck with my slipper settings now, peeked inside and there is hardly any wear after 7 runs so it is holding up. I'm not using any brake, I think that kills a lot of the drive components, the front kit is probably the way to go. I'm doing big long runs at the park near my house, it has a large grass hill you can practice banking on. Temps on the motor after 1 run is however 140F., should be good to around 180F. I still notice some heat on the back axle after a run, not sure what that is about. Most consecutive runs on this thing since I've owned it, it is impressive on flat out runs, probably hits 20-25 mph range. Hope you get some good luck on it soon
Old Jun 19, 2011, 09:38 PM
Joined Nov 2010
35 Posts
I have cooked a slipper on a full on Savage before, with high horsepower its a real balancing act between cooking or breaking stuff.

i doubt four offroad wheels weigh as much as the one rear wheel from the venom, not to mention the momentum that wheel holds with the gyro maxing out inside it, there is alot of force acting on that slipper clutch! I think it could be a little bigger, have a little more surface area, as it is sensitive to the smallest adjustments
cyclesoul is offline Find More Posts by cyclesoul
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:45 PM
Editor, RCCA
Chatsworth, CA
Joined Nov 2004
3,150 Posts
Good luck so far on my VMX slipper. I've cooked them on an HPI Blitz and a Schumacher Cat SX. Never had a problem with Losi or Associated slippers, though.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Jun 20, 2011, 01:34 AM
Joined May 2011
194 Posts
i doubt four offroad wheels weigh as much as the one rear wheel from the venom, not to mention the momentum that wheel holds with the gyro maxing out inside it, there is alot of force acting on that slipper clutch! I think it could be a little bigger, have a little more surface area, as it is sensitive to the smallest adjustments[/QUOTE]

i agree, there is a lot of energy stored in that gyro, if you watch your bike after a flat out run, especially if you slow down to turn round, the bike wobbles about like mad, and on loose dusty surface, you just don't get any traction, even with very little throttle inputs, this is the gyro force being forced back into the drive train....im convinced this is what is shredding the plastic gears, on my bike i changed to metal but then the centre pin kept shearing, there must be some real torque in that gyro.

The problem is setting the slipper clutch.......how??????? too loose and the bike hardly moves, too tight and it just wheelies and is not very controllable.

I set mine and it sounds ok, then when it gets hot, it grabs more and more, you then back it off so its slipping again...its a fine balance

I think the slipper pad should be made of something else, like clutch material, something a bit stronger.

Kev
Old Jun 20, 2011, 02:03 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
630 Posts
Set the gyro clutch gap to 2,5 mm, and see if it still transfers as much force back in the drive train.

My Gyro runs way better with that setting.
Gartenzwerg is online now Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:14 AM
Joined May 2011
194 Posts
it is at 2.5mm ive also drilled holes in the clutch to lighten it......the drive train should have some sort of free wheel system so it doesnt put the gyro force back into the wheel....
Last edited by madbadger; Jun 20, 2011 at 04:21 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:26 AM
MY '75 CZ "FALTA REPLICA" 2010
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,193 Posts
Quote:
it is at 2.5mm ive also drilled holes in the clutch to lighten it......the drive train should have some sort of free wheel system so it doesnt put the gyro force back into the wheel....
++++1
TopDave is online now Find More Posts by TopDave