HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2010, 07:39 PM
Hipster, apparently
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
2,856 Posts
Discussion
Outlaw Speedo Thread

There's lots of banter on the Speedo thread about the mods people are doing to their Speedos. So how about a seperate thread dedicated to hotting up these little rippers? Show us your planes, what you did to make it faster, better, stronger. Why you did it and how you went about it. How fast have you been? If you all hate this idea and want to stick with the original Speedo thread, just ignore this one and it'll go away.
Heres one to get the ball rolling.
My Speedo. Built it stock and enjoyed it for a while until the nose started splitting apart at the seam. Also the opening under the wing seat started cracking at the corners and finally the tailboom broke off after a lawn dart style landing, just bent sideways and broke off. So I followed Mike Furclow's instructions to sock with glass/carbon and it's so strong now. The flying weight with sock is 438g. A couple of road landings ground the nose away but was easily fixed with splooge. The wing is still standard, many LE repairs. I have a foam/wood/glass wing on the building board now. Foam core, oak LE, 1mm balsa skins, bagged glass on top. Should be ok I think. I'll be keeping the built up wing for the lighter days and thermalling. It's also got a wire hook taped on for bungee launching.
Hopefully I'll be able to DS this one occasionally.
Bring 'em on.
gizzo is offline Find More Posts by gizzo
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2010, 08:35 PM
Impatience is a virtue
Denver, Colorado
Joined Nov 2008
674 Posts
Great idea for a thread!
OK, not quite outlaw but fun...
I converted a spare wing from 2 servo to 4 servo. Still uses the balsa wing but now has a full moving TE. Ailerons are a bit more responsive, camber/reflex is effective, and crow slows the little guy down. I'll do the same again when I bag a wing.
Mike
MCH27t is offline Find More Posts by MCH27t
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:04 AM
Paonia, Colorado
Joined Sep 2004
2,354 Posts
Great idea on this thread!

SuperSpeedo

So far, I have;

1. Carbon socked the fuselage. It's still perfect, even after lots of not-perfect arrivals

2. Adapted the stock wing bolt locations to accept a Destiny wing. Awesome performance! I've flown it in 25-30mph winds w ballast, and it penetrates like you think it would. CG is the same as the stock wing, too. Much more stable because of larger tail surface; no flicks.

3. The new wing bolt locations will also allow attachment of a high-lift thermal wing (54" wingspan, airfoil SD7037). I have to adjust the CG for this wing with a pre-weighed lead piece that tucks in under the canopy. This configuration makes a super thermal-sniffer, and will float on a butterfly fart.

(I'll take a picture with the floater wing in place and post it tomorrow)
Mike Furcolow is offline Find More Posts by Mike Furcolow
Old Apr 17, 2010, 04:25 AM
Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
2,709 Posts
Great Thread Idea, Gizzo.

I have built a carbon bagged wing and socked the fuselage on mine. Came in heavy at 700 grams, and I have DSed in light conditions only - should be good for much more.

Today I started on a new wing with a new (for me) technique that I hope will stiffen the wing without adding as much weight. The fuselage will be Carbon Kevlar socked only half way to from the rear of the wing to the tail, again to keep the weight down (less noseweight) though still pondering this. Photos to come.

I also have, on the shelf a couple of sets of 6% foils that should be very quick - they will get the carbon treatment, and will go on a hybrid fuselage.

Clearly I love the Speedo platform - it's cheap, versatile, and slick. Stock standard also makes a pretty good thermal sniffing model too!

Next step: a motor up front!

Cheers

Roger.
Kahnx is offline Find More Posts by Kahnx
Old Apr 18, 2010, 03:36 AM
Stirring the pot
Port Elizabeth South Africa
Joined Jun 2008
3,982 Posts
Good thread.... Keep it going guys!!!
johannlochner is offline Find More Posts by johannlochner
Old Apr 18, 2010, 07:33 AM
Hipster, apparently
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
2,856 Posts
Here's one side of my new wing, out of the bag this morning. Ended up a bit thicker (1.5mm) than the original balsa wing which is disappointing. I could only get 1mm balsa sheet not the 1/64th I'd prefer, and got tired of trying to sand it thinner. Never mind, It'll be fine. Next one I might try just glass and skip the wood. Just for fun.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 08:54 AM
sleep hard
adelaide, south australia.
Joined Dec 2006
551 Posts
just finished....

ok then, here's mine. i guess it qualifies as an outlaw because of the carbon socking. i think soller composites sock sales increased 400% after mike furcolow did his carbon socking thread. i got this one for christmas last year, so it's only taken me 4 months to slap it together...

Dymond D60's in the wing, multiplex nano for elevator, spektrum ar6250 under the wing saddle, sullivan golden rod instead of the stock elevator pushrod, 3+1+another1 800mAh eneloop AAA battery pack (the 5th cell is under the front wing bolt, behind the elevator servo).

next step, maiden. hopefully friday morning. will post again here if it works i also posted more of the same in the "normal" speedo thread.
vx99 is offline Find More Posts by vx99
Last edited by vx99; Apr 21, 2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 07:56 PM
Impatience is a virtue
Denver, Colorado
Joined Nov 2008
674 Posts
For those that have bagged wings, what layup have you used?
MCH27t is offline Find More Posts by MCH27t
Old Apr 26, 2010, 10:47 PM
sleep hard
Joined Dec 2006
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCH27t View Post
For those that have bagged wings, what layup have you used?
the ones that i've heard of here in aus have 0.75oz veil, then either 2 or 3 layers of 6oz S glass, depending on how strong/heavy you want. there's one that's just gone 140mph+ with only 2 layers of 6oz, no spar, and no carbon in the layup, just glass. and the layers of glass alternate between 0-90, and on the bias.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:14 PM
Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
2,709 Posts
vx99 ... 482 grams??!! that's pretty light! - is that balanced? I socked mine with the same carbon-kevlar sock, and also bagged the wing in single 6oz carbon only, and the complete plane came in at over 700grams! I suspect that running the sock all the way to the tail greatly increases the noseweight requirement, and my next one will have sock only 3/4 way down the fuselage.

Roger
(planning the next one)
Kahnx is offline Find More Posts by Kahnx
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:36 PM
Hipster, apparently
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
2,856 Posts
Hey Roger.My one with sock and standard wing weighs in at 438g. After socking it balanced in the original spot with no extra noseweight needed. Go figure? I've got a pair of wings sheeted and ready for glass, they are 140g the pair, before glass.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 12:33 AM
Push little kitty...Push!
So Cal
Joined Sep 2006
497 Posts
Any ideas on a better way to mount the wing? I just got mine and trying to put wing on and it doesnt look like it would stay on for the drive up to the hill.
Any suggestions would help.
Thanks
Mad-Man is offline Find More Posts by Mad-Man
Last edited by Mad-Man; Apr 27, 2010 at 12:33 AM. Reason: cant spell
Old Apr 27, 2010, 01:45 AM
Hipster, apparently
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
2,856 Posts
Hey, if you tape the 2 halves together, insert the 2 carbon anti crush tube things then fit the wing with the 2 screws and washers supplied, and the wing STILL comes off, you're hardcore. The stock fittings are good for 100mph, apparently. Good luck.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 05:30 AM
sleep hard
Joined Dec 2006
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnx View Post
vx99 ... 482 grams??!! that's pretty light! - is that balanced? I socked mine with the same carbon-kevlar sock, and also bagged the wing in single 6oz carbon only, and the complete plane came in at over 700grams! I suspect that running the sock all the way to the tail greatly increases the noseweight requirement, and my next one will have sock only 3/4 way down the fuselage.

Roger
(planning the next one)
hey roger, yep, that's RTF. yesterday i flew it in some pretty good lift, and wished mine was 700g or more too!

dave
Old Apr 27, 2010, 05:32 AM
sleep hard
Joined Dec 2006
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizzo View Post
hey, if you tape the 2 halves together, insert the 2 carbon anti crush tube things then fit the wing with the 2 screws and washers supplied, and the wing still comes off, you're hardcore. The stock fittings are good for 100mph, apparently. Good luck.
lol