HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2014, 08:12 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
5,466 Posts
Discussion
The Official FMS 980mm Warbird Thread

Like 'em or not, one thing's for certain; this new line of 980mm Warbirds from FMS is breaking all the rules, and creating quite a stir....

Fast, detailed, and full of features normally found on much larger models, these compact sensations are opening up new markets for FMS; a void, if you will, that seemingly needed to be filled. While known for larger 1400mm models, within the last year FMS has gone in a totally different direction, one that had only previously been occupied by the Parkzone P-51 Mustang "Gunfighter" and F4F Wildcat (975mm, roughly 38.4" wingspan)...both models which have recently been discontinued. But, unlike the Parkzone offerings, the new models from FMS are "full-house" speed demons, running on either 4S or 3S. They also feature wonderful scale lines, and the typical superb FMS paint schemes. Add to that ball-link clevises for the control surfaces, metal-trunnions on the landing gear, and extremely powerful motors and ESCs, and you have models the likes of which haven't been seen.

But there's even more to the story....the models being released are seldom done, brilliantly crafted planes, the kinds of planes folks have been asking for...and FMS seems to be listening....

Here, in order of appearance, is the series thus far:

Republic P-47D "Razorback" Thunderbolt

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2070991

The first model in the series appeared about a year ago, and I actually saw one at the January 2014 AMA Expo and Convention a few days after it was announced.

Rich Baker was present and allowed folks to handle the model and give it a good once over:

I was stunned by it's appearance in person, and knew right away FMS had a winner on their hands....

Here's Rich Baker, demo pilot for FMS models, putting one thru it's paces for RCInformer:
FMS / Diamond Hobby P-47 Razorback 980mm Full Flight Review (14 min 57 sec)

Impressive, to say the least.....

Curtiss P-40B Warhawk "Flying Tigers"

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2166262

The first inkling that FMS was working on something else was during an RCG member's visit to the FMS factory. He was allowed snap a few pictures while he was there looking at the new P-47D, still in white foam as it was a prototype model at the time. A tapered wingtip entered the picture....one that closely resembled a P-40....

The P-40 has been one of the most requested models recently and FMS was the first to announce they were stepping up to the plate with their wonderful rendition of an early model P-40B, replete in "Flying Tiger" regalia, an absolutely stunning model by anyone's imagination.

Once again, our friend Rich Baker does a great job showing just what this P-40 is capable of:
FMS / DIAMOND HOBBY P-40B 980mm FLYING TIGER Full Flight Review By: RCINFORMER (13 min 29 sec)

After some early shipping fumbles by FMS (the initial batch of P-40's were put in P-47 boxes which led to some minor damage), FMS is making sure the rest of the P-40's are packed accordingly. I actually bought one of these "scratch and dent" P-40's from MotionRC.

Now here's where it gets REALLY interesting....

Bell P-39 Airacobra

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2265815

WHAT....A P-39?!? Like I said earlier, FMS has actually been listening to what enthusiasts want, and lo and behold have actually got a P-39 in the prototype stage. Frankly, that's about all we know of this model.....sorry, no video as of yet.

Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien "Tony"

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2272581

Perhaps the biggest surprise to date, FMS even has a flyable Ki-61! Again, very little is known of this model, but more to follow as we pursue infomation on this...

I think the last two models show that THIS, 980mm line from FMS is going to be absolutely groundbreaking in terms of scale fidelity, performance, and variety. To say that FMS are pulling out all the stops and producing rarely modeled subjects would be an understatement...

For those looking for Italian or Soviet aircraft, this is currently your best shot at seeing your favorite planes streaking across the skies.

While I understand and appreciate that there will be those who don't like this size class, remember, these are actually BIGGER than the PZ Wildcat, which is very visible and presents itself well in the air. These should not be confused in any way with the MUCH smaller 800mm planes.

What I would like to see in this thread is a group of followers of this new, groundbreaking class of models; a place where we can collectively share our photos, experiences, and start to opine about future releases, instead of clogging up the active threads for each respective model.

Cheers all, and happy landings!
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Dec 15, 2014 at 12:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2014, 09:19 PM
Joined Jun 2013
463 Posts
I just got the P-40, flew it today for the first time, and was pretty impressed. It flies much more stable then similar sized airplanes. I like the size also, I took a 73" Sbach, and a 60" Laser to the field with me today assembled, and still had room for this one.
Papa P is offline Find More Posts by Papa P
Old Dec 14, 2014, 09:59 PM
It's only money & foam...
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Jun 2012
1,202 Posts
I have both the P-47 Razorback and the P-40B. Both look and fly fantastic.

Looking forward to the P-39 next!👍👍
P40flyer is offline Find More Posts by P40flyer
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:05 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5,466 Posts
You lucky dog !

My P-40 should be getting here this week...scratch and dent from MotionRC

My LHS (100 miles away !!) actually carries the P-47 as normal stock; I'm planning on getting one with my Christmas $$

That oughta get me caught up until they release the P-39
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:20 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,994 Posts
The Airacobra and Tony are nice flyers!
xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS 980mm Kawasaki Ki-61 Tony
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:35 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5,466 Posts
You wouldn't happen to have seen any other pictures, have you ???
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Dec 15, 2014 at 12:24 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:59 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,994 Posts
You've posted what is already out there.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:12 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,466 Posts
Tony,

Are any of these going to be earning a spot in your hangar? After all, they're fun size and I know you've got a bunch of 4S batteries !
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Dec 15, 2014 at 12:23 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:27 AM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,994 Posts
As a teenager, I always wanted to own the old Sureflite P-39 and never had one, so....the FMS 980mm P-39 will likely join my warbird fleet.

I'm not a Ki-61 "Tony" fan but I gotta say, if pilots like the RocHobby Strega, Voodoo, Critical Mass and F2G Super Corsair.......they'll love the Tony!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2014, 04:13 AM
Joined Dec 2014
1 Posts
saiwolade is offline Find More Posts by saiwolade
Old Dec 15, 2014, 07:16 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiwolade View Post
What's "that"?

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:03 PM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,922 Posts
I want the Tony so, so bad. I'll get the P-39 too, because trike warbirds are awesome.

I desperately want more pictures of the Tony!

I'm even over the fact that it doesn't have split flaps, tho I'd rather it be offered with them not cut out for those who would rather leave them out entirely!
Rampage is online now Find More Posts by Rampage
Old Dec 15, 2014, 01:24 PM
Der Schaum-Krieg-Vogel Piloten
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2013
1,230 Posts
My P-40 Scratch & Dent from Motion lands this Thursday. I'll be out of town for a couple weeks, so I made arrangements with my neighbor to pick it up from UPS for me. Really excited about this plane, and seeing how much or how little damage it has from shipping.

I'm also super excited about the upcoming P-39. That aircraft has always been near the top of my Cool List, and it will be preordered the day it's released. A P-63 King Cobra was on Jeopardy last week btw, kind cool to see...

As long as we're speculating on upcoming releases in this line, does anybody think we'll see a twin? I know I'd love a 6-channel P-38 Lightning...

FLTRI is online now Find More Posts by FLTRI
Last edited by FLTRI; Dec 15, 2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 01:54 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLTRI View Post
I know I'd love a 6-channel P-38 Lightning...
Yes!!!

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Dec 15, 2014, 02:55 PM
United States, IL, Lake Barrington
Joined Dec 2012
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
I want the Tony so, so bad. I'll get the P-39 too, because trike warbirds are awesome.

I desperately want more pictures of the Tony!
I have a load of pictures of the Tony but FMS has asked us to wait a bit to post them. We've done quite a bit of testing on these two planes. I'm personally VERY excited about the P-39. We asked FMS for a P-39 about 1.5 years ago and they finally got around to it! I'm sure they had many other requests for it too which likely helped. They are very close to production and will likely arrive around March. Pinpointing the exact arrival dates can be a bit difficult right now due to all the problems at the west coast US ports right now. The delays and backlogs are spilling over into all ports. Throw in Chinese new year and you end up with a bit of a shipping mess.
Tom.MotionRC is offline Find More Posts by Tom.MotionRC
Site Sponsor