HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2015, 07:05 PM
Joined Mar 2006
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
I don't know the cable you are using, but it doesn't look as if it's the right one if you don't want to power the camera externally.
Post #7 from the main Mobius thread shows you the USB connection possibilities.
If you only want video-out then all you need is two wires: Video + Ground (USB pin #2 and Pin # 5) but you must also short USB pin #4 and #5 at the USB end.
Then take USB pin #2 (video out) to the video-in on your vTx and ground to ground on your vTx. If the colors on your picture mean anything, then you definitely don't want to use the red wire (+5V). I don't know what the brown and white wires are , but one of them should be ground, so ignore the other. The yellow wire should be the video-out signal.
I would think the wires are as follows, but double check them:
Red = +5volt (do not use) = USB pin #1
Brown = ground (needed) = USB pin #4 and pin #5 (shorted)
Yellow = Video-Out (needed) = USB pin #2
White = Audio (not needed) = USB pin #3

Like I said, I don't know which wire is which, so double check with your multimeter and don't use two of the wires. If USB pin #4 and USB pin #5 are not shorted then the cable pictured will not work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheerider View Post
Thanks! I'll review the videos you linked. It appears most people use the flight battery to power the Mobius. I have a thorough understanding on how to wire that configuration. My confusion is how to use the Mobius without the flight battery providing power to it. I guess if it was simple as cutting the red wire somebody would have confirmed my question by now.
I think your question was answered, just not directly or to your satisfaction.
LowWatts is offline Find More Posts by LowWatts
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2015, 07:28 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,934 Posts
Quote:
So plugging in the flight battery will only power the vTx and not the mobius? In the pic below the red cable is a 5v power lead. Wouldn't this provide power to the mobius from the flight battery when plugged into the vTx? Would I just cut the red wire and only use the video and ground wire?

Attachment 7505481
Yes, you would want to power your vTx from your flight pack. There is an option to charge your mobius from the vTx on the 5V out. You can always remove this if you don't want the mobius to draw any power from the vTx.
Qrome is offline Find More Posts by Qrome
Old Jan 25, 2015, 09:23 PM
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Feb 2014
719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrome View Post
Yes, you would want to power your vTx from your flight pack. There is an option to charge your mobius from the vTx on the 5V out. You can always remove this if you don't want the mobius to draw any power from the vTx.
Thank you! Removing the 5v wire (red) would prevent my flight battery from powering the Mobius. I emailed ReadyMadeRC and and they recommend not cutting the red wire on the cable because the flight battery will also keep the Mobius battery charged. This way I will never loose FPV even after I hit low voltage on the flight battery. Something to think about for sure.
bansheerider is online now Find More Posts by bansheerider
Old Jan 25, 2015, 09:27 PM
Joined Feb 2014
719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowWatts View Post
I think your question was answered, just not directly or to your satisfaction.
Don't get me wrong. I appreciate all the detailed answers and you all are being very helpful. I was just expecting a direct answer to my very specific question. I just started flying FPV 3 days ago I mainly fly planes and my Phantom 2 Vision +. I apologize if I came across as arogant or unwilling to accept an answer. I am however very ignorant when it comes to FPV. I haven't even tried FPV on my phantom yet and I've had it for a long time.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:55 AM
Knobbs
Friday Harbor, WA -San Juan Island
Joined Aug 2008
496 Posts
Well, I have to apologize for my ignorance and ranting. I must have accidentally switched the usb cord that came with it for a different one. Or, the one they included was the wrong type. I tried a different usb cord I had laying around and it hooked to the computer and created a SYSCFG.TXT file right away. Of course now it says the camera firmware too old. So now I can go about either updating the firmware on the cam or use the older manager app. But I'm getting somewhere.

Rishelman
Rishelman is offline Find More Posts by Rishelman
Old Jan 26, 2015, 01:29 AM
Joined Feb 2014
719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishelman View Post
Well, I have to apologize for my ignorance and ranting. I must have accidentally switched the usb cord that came with it for a different one. Or, the one they included was the wrong type. I tried a different usb cord I had laying around and it hooked to the computer and created a SYSCFG.TXT file right away. Of course now it says the camera firmware too old. So now I can go about either updating the firmware on the cam or use the older manager app. But I'm getting somewhere.

Rishelman
Good to know because my Mobius should arrive in a couple days and I too use Mac.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:21 AM
Knobbs
Joined Aug 2008
496 Posts
I used the "ManagerApp", there is a "ManagerAppV2" also, which I tried first, but it gave me a popup window saying the firmware in camera was too old. So I went back and got the non V2 and it worked fine. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to get the TXT file window open without having the MGR app close and have to be re-opened. But I think with a few uses it shouldn't be that tricky.
I do wish they would have built in a little something to alert you that you are using the incorrect cable, but, I guess if the camera doesn't connect to the PC it would be kinda hard to get that message out (I think). Oh well, moving on. Now I'm gonna go get some footage and see how the other end works, i.e. getting videos off the camera and onto the computer. Crossing my fingers the rest is a slam dunk.

Rishelman
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:29 AM
Knobbs
Joined Aug 2008
496 Posts
Link to the thread with zip files
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2085613

Rishelman
Old Jan 27, 2015, 04:29 AM
Joined Mar 2014
35 Posts
Quote:
Thank you! Removing the 5v wire (red) would prevent my flight battery from powering the Mobius. I emailed ReadyMadeRC and and they recommend not cutting the red wire on the cable because the flight battery will also keep the Mobius battery charged. This way I will never loose FPV even after I hit low voltage on the flight battery. Something to think about for sure.
The way i had set it up was that i did not connect the red cable to the mobius (i have a different usb cable for the mobius that came with the camera).

You can set it up to only run on internal power (cut the red wire) but i would not recommend it. After having the mobius internal battery crap out in flight on 2 occasions i connected it to my flight battery this weekend.
Rutok is online now Find More Posts by Rutok
Old Jan 27, 2015, 09:40 AM
Joined Feb 2014
719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutok View Post
The way i had set it up was that i did not connect the red cable to the mobius (i have a different usb cable for the mobius that came with the camera).

You can set it up to only run on internal power (cut the red wire) but i would not recommend it. After having the mobius internal battery crap out in flight on 2 occasions i connected it to my flight battery this weekend.
Ok I'll use the flight battery. I'll just upgrade to a slightly larger battery to make up for lost flight time.
Old Yesterday, 10:31 PM
Joined Dec 2013
15 Posts
Hi guys, using the Möbius for fpv after using fatshark 6/700tvl.. I find the picture nice after tweaking the image settings but still the Möbius doesn't give a good sense of speed on my wing, I wouldn't say its lag but something else. Any tips? Thanks Guys.
crezzlin is offline Find More Posts by crezzlin
Old Yesterday, 10:57 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crezzlin View Post
Hi guys, using the Möbius for fpv after using fatshark 6/700tvl.. I find the picture nice after tweaking the image settings but still the Möbius doesn't give a good sense of speed on my wing, I wouldn't say its lag but something else. Any tips? Thanks Guys.
The different lenses can give you that effect. I like the wider B-Lens -- it is closer to the lens width I use on my 600 and 700tvl cameras.
Qrome is offline Find More Posts by Qrome
Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM
Joined Dec 2013
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrome View Post
The different lenses can give you that effect. I like the wider B-Lens -- it is closer to the lens width I use on my 600 and 700tvl cameras.
Thanks, I also have the wide lens.. Set to lenses B I think.
crezzlin is offline Find More Posts by crezzlin