HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2009, 02:26 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,547 Posts
I'm glad you finaly got it going.
Our combat Boomers use a 2 cell lipo and 8060 prop on a 1300Kv, 1500 or 1700kv motor.
With the 1300Kv, and a 600-800mah 2 cell, we get near vertical, but our weight is about 6.5ozs-7.5ozs, depending on the batt.
All throws are 30 degrees plus. It comes in handy at very low speeds, like flying in the street or at a small park. You'll gradualy train your right thumb to use smaller imputs at higher speeds. Butch
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:31 AM
ProBro # 501
Austin Tx
Joined Jul 2005
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch777
One of the guys I fly with took a video of the outrunner Boomer, on a windy day.
It was windy and cloudy, but it will give you a idea of how well it flys in the wind and how slow and aerobatic it flys. Butch

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oID=2027601254

Theres video of my PC-9 as well on this site.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ideoID=8806582
Butch..is the boomer a scratch or store bought..I like the looks of it and would like to get my hands on one?

Boss
Boss248 is offline Find More Posts by Boss248
Old Mar 18, 2009, 01:49 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,547 Posts
I have built about 20 different types of Boomers and several members have there designs here on this thread. The one that was the most popular used a WildWing wing core and I may have enough parts to put together a couple of ARF kits. Look on page 22 and 24, posts 320, 324 and 354 for info.
You can also use most any Flying Wing core. The airfoil will determine the speed range as well as the motor. I have some slower ones with 5 and 10 gram outrunners and some faster with 3200kv inrunners at 60-70mph. Butch
Old May 26, 2009, 06:56 PM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Quote:
I have built about 20 different types of Boomers and several members have there designs here on this thread. The one that was the most popular used a WildWing wing core and I may have enough parts to put together a couple of ARF kits. Look on page 22 and 24, posts 320, 324 and 354 for info.
You can also use most any Flying Wing core. The airfoil will determine the speed range as well as the motor. I have some slower ones with 5 and 10 gram outrunners and some faster with 3200kv inrunners at 60-70mph. Butch
Hey Butch,

Long time since I was on this thread. I have downloaded a couple of the Boomer videos and I want' to build one. I think the 36" version with a BW motor on 3s with an 8x4 prop should do nicely for a start. I don't have any pre made wings to build from so I'll be throwing together a KFm4 wing to approximate shape.

Is there a file that gives the wing dimensions as well as the fuse dimensions? Also I have your video and the one from Boss248. I'd like to find more Boomer vids online if there are any. Maybe you could point me in the right direction. I have successfully flown several wings including the Zagnutz and my own version of the KESL/Divinity which I call The Buzzard. I just like the looks of your Boomer and the videos I have found show it to be a good flier for close in work while still having a good turn of speed as well.

I'll post pictures as I go and Video when I get a version in the air. Pushers Rule!

Mabuhay from PI,
Steve.
Cybernaught is offline Find More Posts by Cybernaught
Old May 28, 2009, 06:20 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,547 Posts
Hi Steve,
The Boomer came from a Flying Wing, modified to be more pitch stable and fly slower and in tighter areas. So any Flying Wing will do! The airfoil will determine the best speed range and the final weight per wing area will determine the slow flight range.

We used the WildWings because they were cheap and had a good lifting airfoil.
A 24g outrunner on a WW, could glide 40ft+ on a hard hand launch, before power had to be added!
There are some fuselage and tail dimensions on this thread, but they are mostly for the 31.5" WW Boomer.
If you can't figure something out, post here and I'll help.

I have folks in the Philippines, Parañaque City and Camiguin Island. I got to get back for a visit some day soon. Butch
Old May 29, 2009, 06:44 AM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Hi Steve,
The Boomer came from a Flying Wing, modified to be more pitch stable and fly slower and in tighter areas. So any Flying Wing will do! The airfoil will determine the best speed range and the final weight per wing area will determine the slow flight range.

We used the WildWings because they were cheap and had a good lifting airfoil.
A 24g outrunner on a WW, could glide 40ft+ on a hard hand launch, before power had to be added!
There are some fuselage and tail dimensions on this thread, but they are mostly for the 31.5" WW Boomer.
If you can't figure something out, post here and I'll help.

I have folks in the Philippines, Parañaque City and Camiguin Island. I got to get back for a visit some day soon. Butch
Hi Butch,

If you do get back over here then PM me. I'm in Bohol and I don't get to Luzon much, in fact almost never, but if you're ever near Cebu maybe we could arrange an eyeball. I'm right across the channel on Bohol's west coast

I'm uploading 2 pictures. One shows a screen capture from cmEi with the stats for my effort. It's a 32" span flying wing with vertical stabs on the wingtips and at either side of the prop slot. I'm shooting for a Wing Loading around 5 oz/sq ft. It should have about 380 sq in for wing area.

The second picture is a mock up of the parts that are cut to get an idea of what it will probably look like. Elevator will be a bit larger and differently shaped than the one shown and they will be higher between the vert stabs too. Nose, center-line top and bottom reinforcement, (2" wide) and all vertical stabs will be EPP type foam and the rest will be the light crumbly white Styrofoam. That's what's available to me, locally. I plan to reinforce where needed with tape but not use any spars in order to keep it light. 10A SS ESC, Corona 4ch synthesized RX, 500 to 800 3s Lipo, and BW motor turning an 8x4.3 prop.

I hope to work on it tomorrow, Saturday, and I'll upload any pix I take that might be of interest. I'll video the maiden and put it on Youtube then post a link when available.

I'm also posting about the plane here because it has a KFm4 wing.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post11691430

Take care and Mabuhay,
Steve.

Edit:
Here are a few more pictures. The thing is glued up with stabs and control surfaces done. I need to use Fiberglas tape to stiffen the wing, and install the gear slots and popsicle sticks for servo screws. Then it's add the EPP foam in the center for landing skid, nose protection and ESC/RX enclosure.

It's still windy as all get-out! Not been able to fly for about a week or more. this may be ready to maiden tomorrow but the Southwest Monsoon is creating strong onshore winds.

Edit 2:
Tuesday morning; been windy all night and is still blowing a gale. Time for coffee then out to the garage to finish the Thistle.
Last edited by Cybernaught; Jun 01, 2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:17 AM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Pagan moded with Boomer tail.

Wow there's no activity here.

Title says it all.
Here's the maiden:
PZZBoomer Maiden.mp4 (1 min 4 sec)

Pic here, undergoing electrical repairs.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...1&d=1260425263

Steve.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 02:38 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,547 Posts
Looks like it flew ok to me!
The chickens in the background remindes me of our stay on my Wife's Island.

Once the cheap WildWing was discontinued, the Boomers died off, plus most people seem to want everything yesterday and cheap and want it RTF.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 04:32 AM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch777 View Post
Looks like it flew ok to me!
The chickens in the background remindes me of our stay on my Wife's Island.

Once the cheap WildWing was discontinued, the Boomers died off, plus most people seem to want everything yesterday and cheap and want it RTF.
Hi Butch,
We live in a disposable society, I'm afraid. For me building and changing things around is a big part of the fun. Foam n' Hot-Glue makes that so easy.

PZZB_Crash.mp4 (1 min 2 sec)

I could re-nose the thing but not sure what I want to do. I have the original Vesper design that I'm thinking of turning into a boomer. Was going to Canard it but I'm re-thinking that now. With the broad wing it rolls beautifully but the pitch moment is so short it may be a good candidate for the Boomer mod. Might eliminate those pesky "Plank" pitch problems.

Flying the boomered Pagan I was really impressed with how well-behaved it seemed to be. That is up until the brain fart. The intellect said just pull it up inverted but the thumbs apparently didn't get the memo.

Steve.
Last edited by Cybernaught; Dec 10, 2009 at 04:45 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:22 AM
Respect mah Authoritay!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Mar 2004
476 Posts
My boomer is still one of my most flown planes! Though that isn't saying much, as I am flying so infrequently lately! Thanks for all your help Butch!

Gary
teamgs is offline Find More Posts by teamgs
Old Dec 10, 2009, 02:48 PM
Auburn, WA
Joined Nov 2005
401 Posts
Same here... my micro boomer still zooms around stable as can be even though I've beaten it up doing the same pulling up inverted trick with thumbs getting the memo trick a few times myself.
sloperb is offline Find More Posts by sloperb
Old Dec 11, 2009, 05:23 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,547 Posts
Hey Steve,
Looks like it needs a EPP nose!
The later design WildWing Boomer had a wider EPP fuselage and built standard(not heavy) at cruse speed, it could be flown into a wall without damage!
And even in a high speed impact, the nose would just snap off and it was easy to glue back on. Butch
Old Dec 11, 2009, 05:26 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,547 Posts
Thanks Guys,
Out of the 20 or so diferent Boomers I designed/built, I still have about a dozen flying.
There still my standard take along plane.
I've designed several different EPP planes for smaller parkflyers, but the Boomer design seems to take the most abuse and is still alot of fun to fly, plus does a windy day no problem. Butch
Old Dec 13, 2009, 06:46 AM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Here are 3 pics of what I have with the Vesper mod.

It's heavy, the nose is too long and the balance is probably too far forward. I don't like the fins shape. I changed the BW motor to a BP21 to get more weight at the back. Balance point should be on the spar and with the heavier motor it's still about an inch to far forward. I'll weight it at the back a bit and try it out.

May add a small canard to carry some of the forward weight or pull out the gear and move the ESC, RX and Battery farther back. Cg should be around 25% MAC which is 4.75". It's probably 3.5" at the moment with the BW motor. BP21 probably moved that to under an inch off. By the time I'm finished it'll be 600g plus.

Steve.

Edit: Dec 14, 2009 5:32am
Butch,
No EPP here in PI. You should know that. I use plastic soda-pop bottles with a wooden form and heat shape the plastic to make a nose shell. It adds a lot of strength but nothing is bullet proof. I have made the canopies the same way. I like clear for the shells and blue or green for canopies.
I will re-do the ESC, RX and Battery location today and go back to the BW motor. It's raining and windy so it's a good project for me to keep me out of the Karioke bars. Hee Hee. Siince I quit drinking, almost two years ago, RC is my main time filler and it's been a good two years!

Edit: Dec 15, 2009 8:04am
Got it up in the air but it's not an easy flier in the wind.
I think boomers need some sweep for stability. (35 deg)
Vesper_BMaiden.mp4 (2 min 4 sec)

Here's a few pics with the nose shortened. It was way nose heavy so I shortened the nose by about 5.5". Looks OK to me. I want to try it in calm weather. Winds in the vid were about 5mph+ at ground level.
Wind right now is a bit stronger than yesterday when the video was taken...

Trimmed the tail a bit. Not sure I like it this way. Never mind, the way it flies it probably won't last long anyway!!!

Edit: Dec 16, 2009 1:08am
Still up surfing. I have a new version of the Pagan Boomer ready for gear. See pic. think this will do better than the "Plank" type wing specially in the wind.
Last edited by Cybernaught; Dec 15, 2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 11:28 PM
Auburn, WA
Joined Nov 2005
401 Posts
Came across this kit today...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=6505
sloperb is offline Find More Posts by sloperb