SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:44 AM
Joined May 2014
15 Posts
Discussion
CSS Software Design

I received my PL8 Friday and have been really happy with it. I just got around to installing the CSS software last night and I'm really disappointed with it. The charger itself is pretty friendly. I'd say it's almost "wizard based". It asks me the questions that are relevant and then it goes off and does its thing. Pretty cool!

CSS on the other hand seems very disjointed. I start in the Cells tab to select my program. If I want to say fast charge (preset 3) but I want to use different amps, I don't get prompted. Instead I have to edit the preset. (which takes me to a different tab.) Once I make the changes, I select Update (and wait) and then I go back to the Cells tab and push Start. Doesn't this seem incredibly clunky to anyone else?

Wouldn't it be nice to have a nice little wizard type interface on the PC that just asked you a few questions (like the charger does) and then starts charging? (I'd also go as far as asking to have the dropdown boxes replaced with input fields. for quicker input. Selecting a different amps via the drop down vs. just typing 36.6 is night and day easier. Sure you'd need to add input validation but that shouldn't be a big deal.)

I'll likely end up giving in and creating my own presets if I'm going to continue to use the CSS software. As changing the settings via the PC seems way more cumbersome than just using the charger directly!

Please tell me I'm missing something here!
El Heffe is offline Find More Posts by El Heffe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:32 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,930 Posts
I don't believe the original intent of the CCS was to replace the UI on the charger. IMHO, it seems like a bit of extra work to connect a PC and launch the CCS just to do something that can be accomplished with a few button presses right on the charger itself. I use my charger at the field almost exclusively so I wouldn't bring a PC to the field just to use the charger. The only time I use the CCS to start/stop a preset is when I need to graph something.

Where the CCS really shines is in its ability to manage and customize presets, charger settings, and firmware updates.

If you wish to control the charger frequently from CCS then I'd recommend creating custom presets as necessary.
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Jan 14, 2015, 07:14 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,063 Posts
Hi Ohmic, I couldn't have said it better myself!
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:03 AM
Joined May 2014
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi Ohmic, I couldn't have said it better myself!
I could understand if that was the stated intent of the software, however FMA has asked about supporting netbook resolutions and they posted links to (hacked) iPad support. I guess I could see some people *REALLY* wanting to use CSS to edit profiles on their iPad or netbook but that seems like a stretch for a core use case, especially given FMA posted links to support it!

Can FMA please add the functionality to drive the core charger function like the charger itself does? Even SkyRC (which I consider low end vs. FMA) offers this feature! I know development resources are limited but it is a CHARGER and having a straightforward CHARGE FUNCTIONALITY (Without editing profiles) is a pretty basic feature request!
El Heffe is offline Find More Posts by El Heffe