SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 25, 2015, 05:32 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
2,289 Posts
Another N C guy doing stuff in small area
Parkzone VisionAire Cul-de-Sac huckin (5 min 40 sec)
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:12 AM
United States, IL, Glenwood
Joined Nov 2013
1,027 Posts
Gtzero if the servos you are using are designed to take 6 volts they will actuly last longer at 6 then 5.5 just thaught you should know that.
Gregertman is online now Find More Posts by Gregertman
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:20 AM
Huck'in Addict
United States, FL, Crestview
Joined Feb 2014
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregertman View Post
Gtzero if the servos you are using are designed to take 6 volts they will actually last longer at 6 then 5.5 just thaught you should know that.
I didn't know that. I figured the higher volts would make them work harder. And die quicker. Thanks for the info. I'll bump it up to 6v. I really like this bec. It takes less than 30 seconds to change a voltage setting lol.
gtzero is offline Find More Posts by gtzero
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:14 AM
United States, IL, Glenwood
Joined Nov 2013
1,027 Posts
The lower volts are more likely to make the servo motor stall/blowback witch is hard on the contacts. And somthing about the potentiometer also likes the higher volts. I'm not sure what but I got this info from savox servos so it should be a reliable source. He said always run your servos at the max volts that they are rated at for best performance and longest life out of them. I'm not sure how adjustable your voltage is but he actuly said to run them slightly higher like 8 volts for servos rated at 7.4 and 6.4 or 6.6 for 6 volt servos. Because when doing 3D or extreme aerobatics you are always moving manny servos at once and the voltage drops. That is if you can adjust too that with your set up otherwise 6 would be good.
Gregertman is online now Find More Posts by Gregertman
Last edited by Gregertman; Jan 26, 2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old Today, 01:03 AM
Huck'in Addict
United States, FL, Crestview
Joined Feb 2014
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregertman View Post
The lower volts are more likely to make the servo motor stall/blowback witch is hard on the contacts. And somthing about the potentiometer also likes the higher volts. I'm not sure what but I got this info from savox servos so it should be a reliable source. He said always run your servos at the max volts that they are rated at for best performance and longest life out of them. I'm not sure how adjustable your voltage is but he actuly said to run them slightly higher like 8 volts for servos rated at 7.4 and 6.4 or 6.6 for 6 volt servos. Because when doing 3D or extreme aerobatics you are always moving manny servos at once and the voltage drops. That is if you can adjust too that with your set up otherwise 6 would be good.
Very good to know. Right now I have them set up to 5.8V and they are working great. I will bump the BEC up to 6V after I fly it this weekend (weather permitting). I don't think I will go over 6V since I can't verify how much voltage drop is actually occurring when using multiple servos. --- I can actually see a speed increase on the flight controls over the stock 5V setup-- I'm interested to see how much this increase changes the way the plane handles.

Thank you very much for inputs and advice

Dee
gtzero is offline Find More Posts by gtzero
Old Today, 06:25 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,389 Posts
Maybe I'm old school, but I've always understood that higher voltage caused the motor brushes to arc more , causing them to wear out sooner. But then I'm old school.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Today, 09:56 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jul 2013
18 Posts
higher voltage, less amps, amps kill. The servo will also make more power so you're less demanding of it
rcjunky1 is offline Find More Posts by rcjunky1