HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2015, 05:03 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,686 Posts
Yup, but I am always very careful about that...oh well, I have a spare... But not a spare white...spare red and spare black...went with black...

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Jan 24, 2015 at 09:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2015, 09:15 PM
Joined Mar 2014
168 Posts
Thank you for the info everyone. I appreciate it
Marza Taxx is offline Find More Posts by Marza Taxx
Old Jan 24, 2015, 09:34 PM
Joined Mar 2014
168 Posts
G.P., I somehow skipped over your post. It's good to hear about vendors like Ken. That kind of customer service is hard to find. Thanks for your input.
Marza Taxx is offline Find More Posts by Marza Taxx
Old Jan 26, 2015, 07:33 PM
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Dec 2009
337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise7 View Post
I have the VVRC-40 in my 74, and the only cuts in the cowl are for the muffler stingers and one for getting to the needles valves. Very clean for a gas install.
How do you like that motor?
Considering it for the 75" Extra 330.
jbusick is offline Find More Posts by jbusick
Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM
Joined Dec 2010
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285 View Post
Really nice info Steve. Someone should give you a hat!
Joe do you have any tips on setting this bird up? I am running the same gear minus the servos and was wondering where you placed the CC BEC and ESC, Batteries, etc. Like was mentioned before, the setup is key and I could use the help
6172crew is online now Find More Posts by 6172crew
Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggity2424 View Post
My advice would be to use the Motrofly and use that Hacker for a paper weight.
I've had eleven Hacker motors and nine Motrolfly motors now, and I still buy one or the other depending on the application. Living and flying in Florida presents a whole different set of issues as far as heat, so I need to keep these things in mind.

The Hackers do get "Hacker Hot" but I've never had an issue, even with temps to 185 degrees, using a temp sticker on the rotor. Ken at Subsonicplanes recommends we avoid 155 degrees, but since the motors do run cooler, I've never seen anything over 145 degrees, so heat has not been in issue either way. If you go out to the field and expect to fly back-to-back-to-back flights, you may not find that easy to do with the Hacker, in some climates.

I can also ask Ken to assure a specific Kv, and he always seems to nail it. I wanted a motor for a 12S setup with the 21x10 prop and asked for something between 197 and 199 Kv (measured unloaded), and I got one that ran to 197.5Kv unloaded.

On the other hand, the three 215Kv A60-7S motors that I've tested run to 215.3, 223.4, and 224.9 Kv unloaded, and the four A60-8S motors that I've tested run to 187.5, 191.6, 193.6, and 194.9 Kv unloaded. I had an A60-16M 14 pole that wasd listed at 215Kv and ended up running to 234Kv unloaded. That presented timing and torque-speed issues when using the 22x10 PJN prop that I initially intended to use on the motor. At the higher Kv, the motor tried to spin the prop over 7000 RPMs on 10S, which was great power, but commutation forced me to move to a smaller prop, which was relatively disappointing as far as power.

So the big difference, for me, between Hacker and Motrolfly, is that I can ask Ken for what I want, while the Hacker motors I buy are like a "box of chocolates", if you know what I mean.

Side by side, the 28 pole A60 Hacker motors are bigger and 3.5 ounces heavier than the DM4330, but they both seem to run about as strong. I have no issue buying either brand, but if I want a specific Kv in order to push the motor to the limit without going over the limit, I will certainly need to email Ken and see how close he can come. Can't do that with Hacker and typically have to adjust the prop accordingly.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: PAR Calculator
Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM
Huckin around the Shire
USA, NH, Manchester
Joined Jun 2010
1,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbusick View Post
How do you like that motor?
Considering it for the 75" Extra 330.
It is good power. I am mulling over selling the motor and going to electric. The DA-35/ES pipe combo has been impressing me in the few flights I have on it.

The main negative with the twin is that it is hard to start. I use a starter.

I have a Falcon 20x9 drilled for the twin I want to run before I decide on changing the setup.

Sadly it will be a long time. This blizzard we are getting right now, plus the 2 snow storms we are getting later in the week will cover all the flying sites. Probably not going to get to fly until March at the earliest if we get to fly off the frozen lake.
Enterprise7 is offline Find More Posts by Enterprise7
Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise7 View Post
Sadly it will be a long time. This blizzard we are getting right now, plus the 2 snow storms we are getting later in the week will cover all the flying sites. Probably not going to get to fly until March at the earliest if we get to fly off the frozen lake.
What can I say.... It will be only in the upper 60's tomorrow. Too cold for me is when I go to turn off the AC and realize it wasn't even on.
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: PAR Calculator
Old Yesterday, 09:15 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,936 Posts
I opened all the windows in the house in the AM to enjoy the fresh air throughout the day. When the wife came home she asked me if I am crazy and to close everything up because is really cold out!
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member