HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 09, 2013, 02:19 PM
.... flyin' dirty ....
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Dec 2012
866 Posts
PHEW...

...I can smell that motor from here lol.

Just use a black sharpie and color the bottom of every third coil on the other motors
DirtyThirty is offline Find More Posts by DirtyThirty
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2013, 02:19 PM
Sweden
Sweden, Stockholm County, Djurö
Joined Apr 2012
148 Posts
Not waiting for enough sats

I maiden my homebulit X8 today, did not wait for GPS hdop.
This was not good.

What happend when sat count is not good enough. (1 min 23 sec)

After 15 minutes second try, waited enough for more sats and a good hdop

131209 Maiden with APM 2.5.2 Softwareversion 3.1-rc8 Homebulit X8 (2 min 43 sec)
tvbcom is offline Find More Posts by tvbcom
Old Dec 09, 2013, 02:43 PM
Click eagle to read my blog
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
4,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbcom View Post
This was not good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuXvGdoHl-Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKKt5HnPteQ
Well there you go, now you know why some people believe in "GPS glitch" yet refuse to admit that waiting 5 minutes has any benefit, congrats, nice scenery all white, don't see that around here.
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2013, 02:45 PM
Click eagle to read my blog
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
4,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyThirty View Post
PHEW...

...I can smell that motor from here lol.

Just use a black sharpie and color the bottom of every third coil on the other motors
I should have thought of that, to balance everything, right ?
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2013, 04:14 PM
.... flyin' dirty ....
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Dec 2012
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabram View Post
I should have thought of that, to balance everything, right ?
Yeah, dont come in here complaining of a yaw drift....
DirtyThirty is offline Find More Posts by DirtyThirty
Old Dec 09, 2013, 04:42 PM
Quit Cryin and Get Flyin
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined May 2013
1,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbcom View Post
This was not good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuXvGdoHl-Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKKt5HnPteQ
I've actually been thinking about an X 8 and I was actually wondering whether instead of just building in H copter with 4 motors build one with 8 like you would an X 8 would you just run the X8 or quad 8 firmware?

Because I know an H quad flies just fine with an X configuration frame type and I'm wondering if that could be translated over with the X8. Of course I'm sitting here today with it unusually cold and windy in Yuma Arizona kind of bummed out and not really wanting to mess with much so I haven't started putting the hex back together or even started any repair work on the FPV frame today.

That's when my mind started wandering especially after I saw your video about building a nice big H frame and using 8 motors it's supposed to warm up over the next 3 days I work and Friday supposed to be a great flying day so I'll probably sober up before then and just have the quad or the hex ready to go but I have come to some conclusions.

More than likely my problems that show up when the GoPro has its Wi-Fi turned on has to do with the FrSky transmitter and receiver filtering more than anything else. We've got a customer running his GoPro with Wi-Fi without a problem but he's doing it on a spektrum and not a FrSky. Frankly I don't know if he is playing Russian roulette for not or if it's just the ability of the receiver to filter out interference and his is undoubtedly better quality than the FrSky even though the FrSky's not bad.

But I'm probably not going to fly the GoPro 3 again, simply because my options are 1. Buy a lot better radio which could be hundreds of dollars or 2. Find a used GoPro 2 for between 100-150 bux that doesn't have Wi-Fi and fly that. The choice is rather simple
Quadmd is offline Find More Posts by Quadmd
Old Dec 09, 2013, 05:19 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,505 Posts
Joe, phew yeah I bet that one is smelly... one of the phases obviously took a dump.

I had a feeling so that's why I asked about how you measured resistance. Measuring Rm is the best way to diagnose winding health, but on our typical motors that means measuring the difference between say 0.500 ohms and 0.490 ohms. So even a good multimeter with 0.1 ohmresolution won't see what you need to see. To put this in perspective, a phase with an internal short can have as little as a 5% difference in resistance from the good phases, but cause a 10% loss of efficiency (this is huge in terms of heating and performace). Some folks have fancy (expensive) purpose built mOhm meters that can do the job down to the sub mOhm, but the rest of us can use a <$5 circuit to pump exactly 1.00A through the coils like this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580151

You've probably seen that circuit example in an LM317 datasheet before; simple yet very functional and precise. Since it pushes steady 1.00A DC, we can accurately estimate Volts = Resistance... even cheap meters can measure down to 1mV with fair accuracy. So we can use this circuit along with our $5 harbor freight special meter to measure accurately down to the mOhm, which is useful to diagnose even subtle winding problems.

My point of mentioning this here is to prevent smoking any equipment on a questionable motor... and that a multimeter is of limited use in diagnosing critical motor problems. It can be used to find stator shorts, but not much beyond that... to be honest though, I probably wouldn't bother with that motor because flying with that cooked epoxy insulation is just asking for a bigtime crash.
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Dec 09, 2013, 06:49 PM
Joined Jan 2013
60 Posts
more arducopter fun :-)

This is just weird IMHO

Watch the video see the odd behavior.

I tried switching from stabalize to position and almost lost it.

apm arming without flashing then no throttle control and a sudden uncommanded spool up.

The PIDs in the video are a bit high.
I did a complete reset this morning
flashed RC8
did a very careful calibration

worse if anything... uncommanded revs, motors not starting, low resistance to the frame being tilted forward.

I've order an arduflyer... will be here in a day or two... I'll just swap the FC out next.

The previous video was of the 1st set of motors/ESC and the tilt was to the left.
This video is off the new motors/ESC and it's current tilt forward.
Same thing different axis.

more arducopter fun (4 min 54 sec)
xpantz is online now Find More Posts by xpantz
Old Dec 09, 2013, 07:00 PM
Official Stupid Question Asker
United States, TX, San Juan
Joined Mar 2013
3,106 Posts
Compassmot issue. I've spent the last 2 days trying to get my compassmot down. To NO avail. Nothing I have done has had any impact at all. My FC is isolated from the frame. ESCs are far away [mid way on 800 arms] motors are even further away . I can not get it below 63% at 60% throttle. I even went so far as putting layers of alumunum tape above the Buck converts i have for my LEDs and under the top frame and below and above my dome's plate. I have tested the compass heading @ 100% throttle and there is no drift. Is it safe to just disable it?

Yes I am using the onboard compass on my new Arduflyer 2.5.2 and yes I am using a power module with ubec. But they too are as far away from the FC as the leads allow and way below the FC and below the top plate of the f550 plates.

This is freaking frustrating
TheQuestor is offline Find More Posts by TheQuestor
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2013, 07:35 PM
Joined Jan 2013
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuestor View Post
Compassmot issue.

I'm feeling your pain :-)

Nothing worse than making change after change and making no difference!
xpantz is online now Find More Posts by xpantz
Old Dec 09, 2013, 08:22 PM
Australia, NSW, Ingleburn
Joined Dec 2009
186 Posts
Quote:
Compassmot issue. I've spent the last 2 days trying to get my compassmot down. To NO avail. Nothing I have done has had any impact at all. My FC is isolated from the frame. ESCs are far away [mid way on 800 arms] motors are even further away . I can not get it below 63% at 60% throttle. I even went so far as putting layers of alumunum tape above the Buck converts i have for my LEDs and under the top frame and below and above my dome's plate. I have tested the compass heading @ 100% throttle and there is no drift. Is it safe to just disable it?

Yes I am using the onboard compass on my new Arduflyer 2.5.2 and yes I am using a power module with ubec. But they too are as far away from the FC as the leads allow and way below the FC and below the top plate of the f550 plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingleburn View Post
HKQ450 Quad.
Turnigy D2836/8 1100KV Motors
APC 9 X 4.7 SF Props
Afro 30 Amp ESC's
Turnigy 3A UBEC powering board
2 X 2200 35-45C Lipos in Parallel.
RCTimer ArduFlyer V2.5.2 Kit Flight Controller
Rctimer AV Dome and CN06 Plus
Rctimer 433MHz 3DRadio
I must have got lucky. Compassmot was only 5%. Might have to do with whats highlighted in red. Never tried the onboard compass so dont know how different it woulod have been
ingleburn is offline Find More Posts by ingleburn
Old Dec 09, 2013, 09:27 PM
Quit Cryin and Get Flyin
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined May 2013
1,691 Posts
Quote:

I never had more than 30% with the onboard compass on the 550 and THAT was with the FC inbetween decks like a naza...

Is yours a real DJI or a clone? If it is a clone there may be something really different between the bottom plate/power distro but you should be able to get a dji plate reasonable I think they sell all the parts...

But you got sumthin way outta whack cause I set mine in a 3dr case right smack on the power distro/bottom plate and never got more than 30%...

Just in case you think I am fibbin

RCtimer Aurduflyer 2.5 mounted between decks like a Naza (8 min 54 sec)
Quadmd is offline Find More Posts by Quadmd
Last edited by Quadmd; Dec 09, 2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2013, 10:42 PM
South - Africa
Joined Nov 2007
232 Posts
Hope this is not to much OT.

I will not get the recommended UBEC's before I'm rebuilding, but I can get one other from my local HK shopfront to test, here is what I plan to do.

Use my batteries that I'm flying with to power a receiver with 2 or servo's and measure the voltage on the receiver rail while moving the controls.

Will said UBEC be ok if voltage stays between 5 and 5.25 volts?

If said UBEC are not properly RF filtered will it help if its mounted further from the FC with all wires twisted?
EINA is offline Find More Posts by EINA
Old Dec 09, 2013, 11:07 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,761 Posts
Quote:

My opinion...don't worry about it if your frame is flying good. My compassmot was ~330 the last time I checked it. You know what. My frame loiters just fine, it rth's just fine, it auto missions just fine. I don't worry about my high compassmot. Of course if you're having issues then it may need to be tracked down better.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2013, 11:38 PM
Flying Wood For Fun
Canada, ON, Sydenham
Joined Jan 2012
6,327 Posts
new gps glitch page
http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/gps-failsafe/
irun4fundotca is online now Find More Posts by irun4fundotca
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread