Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 05, 2014, 08:32 AM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,087 Posts
What about MaxAmps ?
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2014, 10:22 AM
Citizen #96
Steve Graham's Avatar
NE Denver, CO
Joined Sep 2007
703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
What about MaxAmps ?
Insert spit take here.
Steve Graham is online now Find More Posts by Steve Graham
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 05, 2014, 11:15 AM
aka JetMan Joe
MCSGUY's Avatar
Joined Feb 2010
2,422 Posts
IMO MaxAmp philosophy seems to be the bigger lie you tell the more likely people are to believe it. (The company marketeers must have a background in politics).

The only thing I can see that they've done is undersell capacity to bump C rating. For example they might say a pack is 4000mah that's really 4500mah so they can claim a higher C then the competition. But they've stretched it to the point of the absurd. "Real 100C"?? Think about it: That means the oversized "2800mah" receiver pack I bought from them which has 26awg leads and a couple of JR plugs can handle 280 amps?? For how many micro seconds before it vaporizes the leads?

Even if they try to say the cells themselves can handle that load the lie is so obvious it's beyond insulting so I see them as bottom feeding on the gullible newbie. The fact that they got some of my money once just proves most of us have gone through that stage

Joe
MCSGUY is online now Find More Posts by MCSGUY
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2014, 12:28 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSGUY View Post
IMO MaxAmp philosophy seems to be the bigger lie you tell the more likely people are to believe it. (The company marketeers must have a background in politics).

The only thing I can see that they've done is undersell capacity to bump C rating. For example they might say a pack is 4000mah that's really 4500mah so they can claim a higher C then the competition. But they've stretched it to the point of the absurd. "Real 100C"?? Think about it: That means the oversized "2800mah" receiver pack I bought from them which has 26awg leads and a couple of JR plugs can handle 280 amps?? For how many micro seconds before it vaporizes the leads?

Even if they try to say the cells themselves can handle that load the lie is so obvious it's beyond insulting so I see them as bottom feeding on the gullible newbie. The fact that they got some of my money once just proves most of us have gone through that stage

Joe
I've seen this under spec the MAH to up the C rating out of PQ packs... ticked me off to know end when I weighed them... similar weight to 5000mah 30c pack
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 05, 2014, 04:48 PM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Graham View Post
Insert spit take here.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSGUY View Post
IMO MaxAmp philosophy seems to be the bigger lie you tell the more likely people are to believe it. (The company marketeers must have a background in politics).

The only thing I can see that they've done is undersell capacity to bump C rating. For example they might say a pack is 4000mah that's really 4500mah so they can claim a higher C then the competition. But they've stretched it to the point of the absurd. "Real 100C"?? Think about it: That means the oversized "2800mah" receiver pack I bought from them which has 26awg leads and a couple of JR plugs can handle 280 amps?? For how many micro seconds before it vaporizes the leads?

Even if they try to say the cells themselves can handle that load the lie is so obvious it's beyond insulting so I see them as bottom feeding on the gullible newbie. The fact that they got some of my money once just proves most of us have gone through that stage

Joe
cool I was looking for your take
IMO the most over rated packs on the market for the C ratings
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2014, 11:35 PM
aka JetMan Joe
MCSGUY's Avatar
Joined Feb 2010
2,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT View Post
Hi Joe,

Did you ever get some of the MotionRC Admiral (or Admiral Pro) batteries to begin testing on? I wonder if MotionRC would be willing to send you one or two to test. I'd love to see how they would do. http://www.motionrc.com/admiral-5000...-lipo-battery/
Hey T-Cat, sorry to take so long to reply. I have been wanting to avoid adding packs that are rebranded duplicates of those already tested or in the queue and just found out that MotionRC Admiral's are "Enrichpower" packs made by Shenzhen Vigor Power. We have not tested any of their branded packs before so I will add them as they represent a "fresh" product to the thread and will be good additions.

Thanks for the reminder,

Joe
MCSGUY is online now Find More Posts by MCSGUY
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2014, 11:47 PM
Registered User
T-CAT's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
4,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSGUY View Post
Hey T-Cat, sorry to take so long to reply. I have been wanting to avoid adding packs that are rebranded duplicates of those already tested or in the queue and just found out that MotionRC Admiral's are "Enrichpower" packs made by Shenzhen Vigor Power. We have not tested any of their branded packs before so I will add them as they represent a "fresh" product to the thread and will be good additions.

Thanks for the reminder,

Joe
Thanks Joe. I truly appreciate it. I just tried some 5S 4000mah 60 Admiral Pro batteries in series to make a 10S setup that draws 126A, and they did get very warm, almost hot with mixed throttle runs. I'd be curious to see how they stack against the competition with true testing/evaluation.
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 07, 2014, 10:08 AM
Comin' in HOT!
tdford's Avatar
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Dec 2012
2,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSGUY View Post
Hey T-Cat, sorry to take so long to reply. I have been wanting to avoid adding packs that are rebranded duplicates of those already tested or in the queue and just found out that MotionRC Admiral's are "Enrichpower" packs made by Shenzhen Vigor Power. We have not tested any of their branded packs before so I will add them as they represent a "fresh" product to the thread and will be good additions.

Thanks for the reminder,

Joe
Thats good to know.

So has anyone else noticed that Admiral packs are usually the lightest packs in each category? I was not overly impressed with their smaller 4s packs (3000mah 30c). But everyone that is using the 6s packs or high C ones are reporting decent results.

(TCat - what planes don't make your batteries extra warm??? )
tdford is offline Find More Posts by tdford
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-18 v2
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 07, 2014, 10:48 AM
Registered User
T-CAT's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
4,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdford View Post
Thats good to know.

So has anyone else noticed that Admiral packs are usually the lightest packs in each category? I was not overly impressed with their smaller 4s packs (3000mah 30c). But everyone that is using the 6s packs or high C ones are reporting decent results.

(TCat - what planes don't make your batteries extra warm??? )
LOL, that's true my friend.

I did notice the weight aspect you did and that's just one of the reasons I bought them. I'm soooooo curious to see how the test out when MCS puts them through the ringer. Hahaha
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 07, 2014, 11:56 AM
Registered User
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,671 Posts
Joe,

Have packs from LPB Power been tested yet?

I've tested their smaller 3300mah 60c packs with 30c pulls for whole minute at 100 amps CONSTANT (max amp pulls on the 70mm fan at 4s was 120... so I could keep it at 100 for a whole minute) on 70mm fans ... over 30 cycles... no degradation in being able to keep voltage or higher temps... temp increase was in the 30 - 35F range

Not only that I charged it at 40 amps on half the charges that needed no balancing.

Same thing for 6s pack, 40 amp charges without balancing and 152 amp discharges in my 6s FF F100... but that's only had around 15 flights max.

There was someone who posted some crap on the internets about LPBs but dismissed the review once I read that he ADMITTED seeing the low gauge wire on high C pack... that would've been my first tell tale that something wasn't right either about the pack or the review

Quote:
The only thing that concerned me was the thinner 12AWG wire used for the connector ..
Then why use that pack?! I no doubt would not have risked my expensive bird with a mislabeled pack

... and no BEC...

I can send you a 4s in a week or so... you mentioned upthread they may be Grepows...they remind me of Grepows also... performance wise from the 6s and 4s I think they may be up in same ballpark if not the same cell maker

Seems like these packs are getting some attention elsewhere ... just wanted to vet them out
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Last edited by erh7771; Jul 07, 2014 at 12:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 07, 2014, 12:34 PM
aka JetMan Joe
MCSGUY's Avatar
Joined Feb 2010
2,422 Posts
There seems to be a link between LPB and Xinzhiyang Electronics Co. which offers GensAce on their web site. Mark Liao is an officier of some type in both companies and LPB's packs are constructed identically to GensAce/Grepow and also have an identical balance plug color code. So I think your observation may be correct. I appreciate the offer of a 4S pack however I've geared everything to compare 6S/5000ish packs.

Joe
MCSGUY is online now Find More Posts by MCSGUY
RCG Plus Member
Reply


Thread Tools