Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:22 AM
KK4QIN
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangetsu57 View Post
Hey folks,

I recently purchased a Bixler as a platform for my 2nd FPV plane. I've had a few FPV flights with my Axn Clouds (which have been amazing), but I can't figure out a way to fit in my Cyclops Nova OSD. The Bixler has a lot more room inside, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, my current plan is to build the Bixler and fly it first w/o FPV equipment to get used to the flight characteristics in case they are different from the Axn. Next, I plan to add the FPV equipment (no GoPro, so it shouldn't be *too* heavy). In practice, is this a good way to go since gluing the halves together will make it more difficult to add the equipment later? Any advice here would be appreciated!
One thing you could do is use hot glue sparingly (just a thin line, or little blobs spaced evenly) then when you are ready to pull it apart, get some alcohol (rubbing alcohol, so don't go pouring your beer on your plane, save it for when you get frustrated ) and get something to drip it into the seems (like a pipette) and let it sit for about 45 seconds and slowly pull it apart. The alcohol will make the hot glue release from the foam, if you aren't comfortable with this, you can practice it on some foam or just a little part of your plane.

-Seth
nightfox7 is offline Find More Posts by nightfox7
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:24 AM
KK4QIN
Joined Jan 2012
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcow007 View Post
Doh!

cheers nightfox, i will experiment when my hinges arrive

i tore through my elevator foamy hinge on the weekend so i cant fly until i fit hinges
No problem! I have yet to have to use hinges, although I feel that day coming
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:11 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Forced View Post
I modified mine and build a Gopro mount in the nose cone with great results for FPV flying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83jdC...eature=mh_lolz
any details on the mount? Pictures?
nakelp86 is online now Find More Posts by nakelp86
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New (old) Disco gimbal
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:16 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
990 Posts
Quote:
how did you attach the hinges? I'm told gettign them to stick to epp is a nightmare
I don't glue my hinges and the horns don't need glue either though I do glue them. I cut a slit for the hinge with a break-off blade knife. I then slide the hinge into the slit and lay another hinge on top of the surface (tailplane, rudder etc.) and with a fine felt tip pen, mark through the holes in the hinge. Thenusing a 1 mm drill, drill through the foam and hopefully the holes in the hinge. Then, using 1 mm copper wire, I loop wire through the surface. Usually just one loop, sometimes 2 loops though the hinge has 6 holes.

For horns, if they don't have holes, they get them when fitting and they also get wired on. This means if the glue breaks / fails, the horn doesn't fall off and totally lose control.

All push rods now have linkage stoppers instead of clevises. The LS have a nut rather than a Circlip to hold them on the horn. Somewhere I've previously noted the HK part number. Note when the nut is tight, the LS is still free to turn on the horn. There is a shoulder stopping it getting tight.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:45 PM
Joined Jun 2012
10 Posts
Hi, I have written a short how to about an interesting way to reinforce any tube wing spar. "Realtime Stiffness Modification of Spar Tube with non-Newtonian Liquid." The link is below.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post23010951

Thanks
eertan
eertan is offline Find More Posts by eertan
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:56 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eertan View Post
Hi, I have written a short how to about an interesting way to reinforce any tube wing spar. "Realtime Stiffness Modification of Spar Tube with non-Newtonian Liquid." The link is below.

Thanks
eertan
Man you got to be an engineer of some sorts.

I'm a tech so I'm always butting heads with you guys.

Anyway, welcome..

Gene
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:39 PM
Parma, Ohio
Joined May 2010
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eertan View Post

Thanks
eertan
Holy crap Batman, maybe this RC stuff really is "rocket science"

Ron
Ron RC is offline Find More Posts by Ron RC
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:46 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron RC View Post

Ron
Correct. I have seen a Bixler being rocketed into the sky.

Or maybe it was lawn darting into the ground.

Anyway keep the wings on it will fly better than a rocket.

Take it from a Brain Surgeon. (aka Electrical Engineer. I like to but heads with Gene )
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Last edited by Eagle202; Oct 15, 2012 at 08:47 PM. Reason: updated
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:49 PM
Joined Sep 2010
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfox7 View Post
One thing you could do is use hot glue sparingly (just a thin line, or little blobs spaced evenly) then when you are ready to pull it apart, get some alcohol (rubbing alcohol, so don't go pouring your beer on your plane, save it for when you get frustrated ) and get something to drip it into the seems (like a pipette) and let it sit for about 45 seconds and slowly pull it apart. The alcohol will make the hot glue release from the foam, if you aren't comfortable with this, you can practice it on some foam or just a little part of your plane.

-Seth
I take it you recommend using hot glue then? Not a bad idea. It might be difficult though to apply the glue and attach both sides before it hardens. That said, the foam is flexible enough that I could probably get away with doing the nose then the tail.

Would you happen to know if if contact cement detaches from foam when wet with isopropyl alchohol?
Zangetsu57 is online now Find More Posts by Zangetsu57
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:18 PM
Joined Jun 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Man you got to be an engineer of some sorts.

I'm a tech so I'm always butting heads with you guys.

Anyway, welcome..

Gene
In practice I am a biophysicist, but I always liked building things. Thanks for the warm welcoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron RC View Post

Ron
This is the dark side of RC stuff, it is equally fun as the light side.
eertan is offline Find More Posts by eertan
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:44 AM
The only R/C pilot in the city
Kazakhstan, West Kazakhstan Province, Aksay
Joined Sep 2012
310 Posts
Quote:
Scorpio9999 how did you attach the hinges? im told gettign them to stick to epp is a nightmare

thanks
As you asked me...
I made a slit by sharp knife in foam parts.
Then applied good amount of 5 min epoxy on one half of hinge.
Put it inside the slit and made several back and force movement to distribute glue inside and keep the hinge inside with more or less proper position in line.
Quickly made the same with others. Glued another half of all of them and put in slits on another part of foam. Lets say elevator.

Despite that it's 5 min epoxy I let them cure 2 days.

I found that there is some chemical reaction when glued magnets. Glue was "boiling" for several hours and produced a lot of air bubbles. Magnets swimmed in wholes I made for them about one day.

In 2 days I can grab whole plane just by elevator or rudder.
Scorpio9999 is offline Find More Posts by Scorpio9999
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:58 AM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jul 2006
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
I don't glue my hinges and the horns don't need glue either though I do glue them. I cut a slit for the hinge with a break-off blade knife. I then slide the hinge into the slit and lay another hinge on top of the surface (tailplane, rudder etc.) and with a fine felt tip pen, mark through the holes in the hinge. Thenusing a 1 mm drill, drill through the foam and hopefully the holes in the hinge. Then, using 1 mm copper wire, I loop wire through the surface. Usually just one loop, sometimes 2 loops though the hinge has 6 holes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio9999 View Post
As you asked me...
I made a slit by sharp knife in foam parts.
Then applied good amount of 5 min epoxy on one half of hinge.
Put it inside the slit and made several back and force movement to distribute glue inside and keep the hinge inside with more or less proper position in line.
Quickly made the same with others. Glued another half of all of them and put in slits on another part of foam. Lets say elevator.

Despite that it's 5 min epoxy I let them cure 2 days.
:
Fantastic!!

thanks guys

i will keep you posted when they arrive

thanks once again
mudcow007 is offline Find More Posts by mudcow007
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:41 AM
The only R/C pilot in the city
Kazakhstan, West Kazakhstan Province, Aksay
Joined Sep 2012
310 Posts
Quote:
Fantastic!!

thanks guys

i will keep you posted when they arrive

thanks once again
You are welcome.
New videos after 2-nd repair. Hinges are intact from original assembly.
Just some "foam soup", little glue work on wing and spar replacement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-z7SOWQlA&sns=em

Bixler Flight #07.mp4 (2 min 48 sec)

Yes, I know that at day time light is better, but the wind is stronger as well. Almost monthly we have a wind 15-20 m/s with gusts 25 m/s. 90 km/h or 48.6 knots.
Not bad isn't it?

Subscribe on my channel if you want to see more videos.
Scorpio9999 is offline Find More Posts by Scorpio9999
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:50 PM
Joined Sep 2010
284 Posts
Is there any reason *not* to use strong rare-earth magnets to secure both sides of the fuselage together? I do this with my wings on the AXN, and they are solid once the spar is wrapped with a bit of fiberglass tape. I'd still tape the seams, but magnets seem like a really good way to keep both sides nice and flush. My only worry is interference with nearby electronics, as I can't find any real data on this.
Zangetsu57 is online now Find More Posts by Zangetsu57
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:55 AM
KK4QIN
Joined Jan 2012
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangetsu57 View Post
I take it you recommend using hot glue then? Not a bad idea. It might be difficult though to apply the glue and attach both sides before it hardens. That said, the foam is flexible enough that I could probably get away with doing the nose then the tail.

Would you happen to know if if contact cement detaches from foam when wet with isopropyl alchohol?
Hey I missed this post. But yes I would recommend hot glue. You could even tack down both ends with a little hot glue then just spread the seam a little and squeeze a little hot glue in.

And with contact cement: I have never tried, but kinda doubt it. You could try it though! (With something other than your plane )