Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:04 PM
North Carolina, USA
Joined Nov 2009
1 Posts
Question
First Airframe

I am currently wanting to purchase my first plane to create a UAV. I am looking for something that will have a decent amount of airtime (1 or more hours), a reasonable amount of space (not only do I wish to put the arduino board inside but perhaps another slim (gumstix) pc and power source, and reasonably cheap ($200 and less not including gumstix pc). (And if I want to be picky something military-esq and sexy looking would be nice as well)

I have no experience with RC aircraft but will obviously take my time to learn before flying my electronics around.

I have been doing a lot of searching for different airframes and package deals but most of the suggestions I have found relating to UAV use is dated. A lot of the planes i have seen suggested and linked to are no longer being sold. If anyone would post suggested models or package deals it would be greatly appreciated!

Semper Fi,
Zach
znorris is offline Find More Posts by znorris
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2009, 05:13 PM
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
1,655 Posts
I suggest getting a T-hawk,
http://www.readytoflyfun.com/

how I relearned to fly (if you could call it that)

a few years ago. It is the only RTF that comes with a lot of extra parts, 2 wings, extra tail, props, etc. It is now available in brushless, the original brushed motor is powerful enough, but they say to only run at full power for 30 sec. Since I finally converted mine from NIMH to a giant lithium 2 cell (still too
light and had to add some washers), I added extra cooling holes, and it will run at full power for 5 min if you want. This plane will soar, in good air. Very rugged pusher, can take crashes if not too energetic.

Might not be the best to use for a UAV, but it is critical you get as much flying time before committing a better plane to the sky.
jglenn is offline Find More Posts by jglenn