SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 14, 2015, 03:24 PM
Find More Posts by Roguedog
United States, CA, Norco
Joined Feb 2007
877 Posts
I like the T2A. There's something about air scoops that make planes look mean and fast sort of like a P-40 Warhawk.
Roguedog is offline Find More Posts by Roguedog
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2015, 07:22 PM
Find More Posts by walter3rd
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
3,582 Posts
My three. dave platt duallist, sharp 45 -80s style and sig king kobra on her way..... all with retracts and electric power systems.
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd
Last edited by walter3rd; Jul 14, 2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 07:59 PM
Find More Posts by Jhl33224
Joined Mar 2012
25 Posts
Nice!
Jhl33224 is offline Find More Posts by Jhl33224
Old Jul 25, 2015, 09:11 AM
Find More Posts by NewZee
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
913 Posts
A "Classic" pattern plane with a modern "twist"

Hi All,
Great thread!!! here is my contribution, I did an electric conversion of a 70's vintage "Super Kaos" in addition to the electric power I did a more "modern" Red Bull scheme! here are a few before and after pics!

If anybody is interested my build log is here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2363305

and video of maiden flight is here:
Maiden Flight of "Super Kaos" (11 min 13 sec)
NewZee is offline Find More Posts by NewZee
Old Jul 25, 2015, 07:14 PM
Find More Posts by bobmrbassman
United States, FL, Chuluota
Joined Jul 2013
148 Posts
I am building a Dirty Birdy 60 from plans. I have the fuselage well on the way , the foam core wing covered with balsa and the halves together and the retracts installed and the cutouts and mounts for the aileron servos done. The horizontal stabilizer is also foam and covered with balsa. The nose gear retract is installed and the servo temp. Installed hooked up and tested.

I am using a period OS 60 for power I think it is from the 60's or early 70's. It runs great and has excellent idle. I bought it off eBay.

I plan to use my old Kraft 5 channel with three original servos with two new servos on ailerons and two new retract servos. I'm not sure of the present rules on frequency but this one is in the 50 MHz band so that may not be affected since I am a ham.

This is my first 60 size model but I flew a dirty birdy 40 and a Taurus years ago.

I plan to cover it with towerkote but might paint the body if I can find a match for towerkote red.

Bob
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nu1pcom44d...45.17.jpg?dl=0
bobmrbassman is offline Find More Posts by bobmrbassman
Last edited by bobmrbassman; Aug 07, 2015 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Attach photo
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:53 PM
Find More Posts by doxilia
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
2,461 Posts
Bob,

My two cents would be to dispense with the Towerkote and use a brand covering material. The TK will peel off and the pigment will eventually "wash out". If you plan to use a base white paint for the fuse, you can cover the wing and stab without the match being much of an issue. You can paint the trim colours on the surfaces to match the fuse paint.

If you are looking for quality paint with a perfect match to MK, contact Kevin at Wings West. He can set you up with paint and primer and even glass cloth and resin. He can ship you paint in an aerosol can or for an HPLV gun.

David
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
Old Jul 26, 2015, 01:30 AM
Find More Posts by Fatherof4
Raised on 80's Pattern
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Joined May 2006
1,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia View Post
Bob,

My two cents would be to dispense with the Towerkote and use a brand covering material. The TK will peel off and the pigment will eventually "wash out". If you plan to use a base white paint for the fuse, you can cover the wing and stab without the match being much of an issue. You can paint the trim colours on the surfaces to match the fuse paint.

If you are looking for quality paint with a perfect match to MK, contact Kevin at Wings West. He can set you up with paint and primer and even glass cloth and resin. He can ship you paint in an aerosol can or for an HPLV gun.

David

Thanks for posting. Pictures please. Agree with David.

Call Kevin, he'll set you up.
http://www.wingswestrc.com/shop/unca...matched-paint/
Fatherof4 is offline Find More Posts by Fatherof4
Old Jul 27, 2015, 01:49 PM
Find More Posts by walter3rd
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
3,582 Posts
I have had pretty good luck with ultracoat as well. Sig king Kobra getting her colors started.
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd
Last edited by walter3rd; Aug 06, 2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2015, 04:20 PM
Find More Posts by bobmrbassman
United States, FL, Chuluota
Joined Jul 2013
148 Posts
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I used monokote 35 years ago but heard from guys on this forum that it wasn't the same and wasn't worth bothering with. I chose towerkote for economical reasons and I may not be around another 30 years. Monokote loosened up and came apart over time too. Also silk and dope. so I guess I'll try the towerkote since I've. Already got it and if it isn't satufactory, I'll try something else. I used monokote on a couple of planes since my Taurus and liked it so I may try that again if the tower doesn't work.
Bob

I posted a picture on my previous post of my present project.
bobmrbassman is offline Find More Posts by bobmrbassman
Last edited by bobmrbassman; Aug 07, 2015 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Forgot something.