HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:05 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
2,973 Posts
Discussion
Another Cat.

A month or so ago I ordered one of these to build up as a fun boat for bashing around at our Boondall club. Not our race club.
http://www.hobbyease.com/super-yacht...lue-p6042.html
I mainly bought it because I liked the look of it. You'll also see it in the link above in a red or black Spider livery

It was cheap and with a 10% discount coupon. And the postage to Australia was reasonable compared to a lot of other sites.
The good thing is that you are not paying for Radio, ESC, servo, etc, as they are not supplied. And I knew that the little motor supplied would not have the grunt needed to really get the hull moving properly. But I had all the bits lying around to get it going, so why not? It wasn't going to cost me any extra.

It arrived Friday.
So Friday night I installed a welded 3/16 flex shaft, & new 3/16 bushes in the strut. The original ones were too sloppy.
It came with a radio box which I removed & installed a servo bracket & servo for the rudder.
The fake turbine exhaust had two problems. Firstly the end of it was damaged in transit, & secondly the thing was totally open into the hull.
So I simply cut about two inches off it back to the transom & cut a piece of 1/16" ply to fit into the exhaust at the transom & epoxied it in. That made a join that I could tape up & seal.
Fitted a TFL SSS 4074 2200kv motor into the existing mount, added a Seaking 180ESC. A bit of plumbing & a Y547 prop & she was ready for trials.
While I was doing that, I had consumed a fair bit of Tooheys Old black beer & was ready for bed.
Next day at Boondall she hit the water. Initial run was good but she dropped the nose in the corners & bogged down running very wet. The straights were good & loose though.
I raised the strut a bit & tucked the rudder forward a bit & that helped with the corners.
But with both runs she took on a lot of water. Did a pressure test to re assure myself that the plumbing was all good. This left the original stuffing tube &the shaft as the suspects. More grease, & a bit of silicone tube over the shaft on the inside of the boat. A bit better but still too much water.

Anyway yesterday, Sunday, was a race day at Lakeside, so I took it along to have another play after the days' racing was done. Old mate Luke even took a bit of video for us. Thanks pal.
It certainly freed up a lot more in the windy & choppy conditions. But the great thing is the cornering. Doesn't even feel like flipping or spinning in the corners at full noise. In the video the flip in the straight was from a freak gust of wind.

Still got the water issue to solve. The original stuffing tube is a flexible steel wound tube with a PVC coating. I think I'll replace it with a solid brass one.

I've already got a 4s EA cat for racing, so I might set this one up as a 6s EB cat, & start racing it if it still corners well at a higher speed.

I didn't mean to bang on for so long about it, but it really is a fun boat for the price & a little work.

Here's some pics & a video.
Cheers.
Paul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Na_...ature=youtu.be
785boats is offline Find More Posts by 785boats
Last edited by 785boats; Jun 30, 2014 at 01:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:23 AM
Joined Aug 2012
96 Posts
It did look good Paul.

I love seeing something a little different too. It would be good to see it in our 6S racing as the class is quickly becoming the Fighter/Cheetah club class with only one different boat being my Apparition which is close to it's final development in tuning and the Cheetahs are only getting quicker.

If it doesn't turn out it will be a great Boondal boat as you said and looks the part not common muck as you say LOL.
madracer is online now Find More Posts by madracer
Last edited by madracer; Jun 30, 2014 at 12:29 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:33 AM
Danmark, Sjælland, Sorø
Joined May 2011
399 Posts
Hi Paul,

Thats a cool looking hull.

For some reason, i cant see the video, anyone else having trouble?
bostong is online now Find More Posts by bostong
Old Jun 30, 2014, 01:07 AM
Joined Aug 2012
96 Posts
Yep the same.

It's showing up as a Private Video Paul .. Mmm Private rings a bell
madracer is online now Find More Posts by madracer
Old Jun 30, 2014, 01:53 PM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
2,973 Posts
Sorry about that guys.
It's 'Public' now.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 02:11 PM
Danmark, Sjælland, Sorø
Joined May 2011
399 Posts
Paul, is it 4s in the video?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 09:19 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,058 Posts
It looks a lot bigger than what the website says the dimensions are.
Good looking hull though.
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Top Gun 2014
Old Jul 01, 2014, 01:31 PM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
2,973 Posts
Niklaus.
Yep. 4s at the moment.
With a bit of work on the ride pads, I think she will gain a bit more speed.

Bill.
She is 31" from tip to transom. But she's nice & wide at 14".
Old Jul 02, 2014, 02:06 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
930 Posts
I like it.
cyberhoops is offline Find More Posts by cyberhoops
Old Jul 02, 2014, 02:14 PM
Danmark, Sjælland, Sorø
Joined May 2011
399 Posts
I like the wide cats.

My first cat build I think is gonna be the mean machine
Old Jul 02, 2014, 02:21 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
930 Posts
Most of the cats in our club are either mean machines or sprint cats, which is just a mean machine with a different cowl - same ride surfaces.

This looks like an interesting alternative.
cyberhoops is offline Find More Posts by cyberhoops
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:11 PM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
2,973 Posts
Cyber.
Some guys at our club suggest that the underside of this cat is very reminiscent of a Sprint Cat.