HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2014, 05:51 PM
I'd Rather Be Flying
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
574 Posts
Woohoo! I broke my own thermal flight time!!! Over 10 minutes with my Thermic JK. I know it may not be much for you guys and most others but its a big step for me.

Launched from a HS to 350ft. Thermaled up to 677ft and hung around that altitude for a while until I lost the lift. Terrain is flat farming field. No hills or cliffs to catch updrafts. Upwind of the take-off site. (Houses down-wind so I cant fly there) Yes, I could go to the other side of the field and feel the winds but our runway (abandoned road) is on the down-wind side of the field. The only indicators of lift are usually how the plane reacts to the lift. Sometimes birds or dust or dry grass will indicate lift but not as much as I would like. Difficult but I like the challenge.

I do like this Thermic!
RCBlackSheep is offline Find More Posts by RCBlackSheep
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2014, 01:25 AM
DS will change your life
Danmark, Nordjylland, Sæby
Joined May 2010
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBlackSheep View Post
Woohoo! I broke my own thermal flight time!!! Over 10 minutes with my Thermic JK. I know it may not be much for you guys and most others but its a big step for me.

I do like this Thermic!
Make a small light flag or put some light tape on a 6 feet stick, to show the Wind direction.
If the Wind drops down the thermal is over or in front of you, when the Wind picks up the thermal have pass you and you just fly in the direction that your flag is pointing. (As I do in the start of my Vspeak video)

This small thing will help you a lot.

Try this next time.

Good luck
Soren

(My Odyssey is now on 101 hours, on the Integrated timer for the Odyssey model. )
SpeedsterDEN is online now Find More Posts by SpeedsterDEN
Old Yesterday, 01:38 AM
I'd Rather Be Flying
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
574 Posts
Thanks Soren. I do have a couple of 6 ft poles that I tie very light tape/ribbon to. This time I just forgot to bring them. My flying spot isn't ideal. The picture might give a better idea of where I fly from. When I took the picture I was standing about where I would normally stake the HS and then stretch it towards the wall in the picture. There is a paved road along the wall. As you can see houses behind the wall. Launch is from the road towards the spot I'm standing at because that is usually into the wind. (usually a west wind) I could fly the Thermic from a more westerly position but then I cant fly anything else with landing gear from that spot cause the road is by the wall. To add to it the field can be anything from dirt to 4 ft high depending on when the harvest is.

Like I say, it can be a challenge at times. Sometimes I just sit in my chair and watch over the field just to observe what the wind, bugs, birds and dust are doing. Now I need to learn how to keep one eye on the plane and the other eye on the bugs, birds, dust and flags. Usually my eyes are just on NOT loosing sight of the plane.
RCBlackSheep is offline Find More Posts by RCBlackSheep