HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:05 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Aug 2012
67 Posts
Discussion
help a newbie

I have spent a lot of money on blade helis, did not relize the steep learning curve on therse rc helis. The probleml was I wanted to fly yesterday, I finally got a simulator and most helis I can hover. I have been told not to buy the walkera brand because the parts or too hard to find. I like thier new cp heli for 159, I am wondering about parts and can I bind it to my dx6i. The price is more in my budget.
sing23 is offline Find More Posts by sing23
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:51 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,959 Posts
New Walkera helis require Devo transmitters. Parts being hard to find at this age aren't actually true since you can pretty much find anything online if you don't mind the waiting time for shipping. I get all my walkera parts from www.ehirobo.com.

What helis do you currently have? Walkera helis aren't any easier than blade ones so there's really not much point in switching now that you've invested in blade.
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:22 PM
Joined Aug 2012
67 Posts

I have blade SR, blade 450, nano, mcpx, 120 sr and the blade 130x.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:37 PM
Still a N00B
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Mar 2012
95 Posts
That's a nice little collection. I don't see why you'd switch to Walkera now...nor why you'd be looking to buy another heli, but being an addict myself, I can understand.
lebaez is offline Find More Posts by lebaez
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:43 PM
last of the sixties kids..
New Zealand, Northland, Whangarei
Joined Jan 2013
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sing23 View Post
I have blade SR, blade 450, nano, mcpx, 120 sr and the blade 130x.
Lucky you nice collection
Cannafish is offline Find More Posts by Cannafish
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:29 AM
Joined Aug 2012
67 Posts
help a newbie

Thats the problem for me, I am addicted to that one and only Wow feeling of a new heli. I repeat thier is only one Wow, then the sme problems which are trying to fly,crashing,fixing and etc. Is there a twelve step program for heli flyers?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:15 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Is there a twelve step program for heli flyers?
There is a thirteen step program that might help - Flight School 101.
Won't help with the addiction though - best to just accept it and go flying.
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:41 AM
Joined Aug 2012
67 Posts
nebie

Thanks for your advice and the information you sent, I keep trying and one day I will get it!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:13 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,338 Posts
You haven't indicated any beginner helis in your inventory, seems like you are trying to start with something much too hard. Try the MQx quad, since you already have Blade equipment and a DX6i. It's a lot better starting point for many people.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Jan 28, 2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:21 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for your advice and the information you sent, I keep trying and one day I will get it!
Just be patient. That's the hardest lesson for students to learn - being patient with themselves. They want to fly yesterday! Learning to fly RC helicopters isn't all that hard - all it takes is practice. Hours and hours and hours of practice. Remember it is only a hobby. When you get frustrated do something else to relax - like balancing a broomstick on your nose while riding a unicycle.

captJac
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:18 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,485 Posts
Put away you Nano/ SR/130X for later and fly the 120SR/ and get an MQX/ Even MSR and fly snot out of them. Sim if available. Mcpx is better than your other c./p's. Do your self a big favor and get rid of SR. Bad mojo with this bird. Why do you think they sell it $200.00 RTF brushless 400 size ? It is not a beginner heli c/p.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:38 PM
Joined Aug 2012
67 Posts

I can fly the 120 sr, it was the first heli afte the coaxial, And I also fly the msr; it is the big boys that hinder me. Why do you sy to rest the nano nd the others?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:39 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,338 Posts
The step up from a 120SR/MSR to a CP heli is big one, especially a flybarless micro (MCPx, 130X, Nano). The smaller they are, the harder they are to fly. Any of your micros is harder than a 450X. They just don't break as easily. An MQx is a good transition between FP and CP because it's very stable, but still just as quick as CP. Plus, it's super durable. The Blade SR is just plain difficult to fly, for lots of people.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:54 PM
trying to fly
Joined Dec 2012
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
An MQx is a good transition between FP and CP because it's very stable, but still just as quick as CP. Plus, it's super durable.
+1 for the mQX. The move from mSR to mCPX was so frustrating it actually made me quit this hobby. The mQX made it fun again. After a month, I'm now comfortable practicing coordinated banked turns with the mCPX.
darvos is offline Find More Posts by darvos
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:11 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darvos View Post
The mQX made it fun again.
+alot

The mQX got me interested in FPV and quads again, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. It makes a great park flyer, and a great night flyer too with LEDs. I recommend picking one up just for the fun of it, but it does have some training value and will help bridge the gap between the self-stabilizing FP helis you've been flying, and the fully aerobatic CP helis you need to learn. Practice a lot on the simulator and you'll get it. When you can hover and fly around a bit with a CP helicopter on a good simulator (not Clearview), then you're ready to fly your 450X, preferably with the help of a local helicopter expert who can flight check it for you and help you set it for a beginner.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501