HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:18 PM
Joined Jun 2012
25 Posts
Help!
Please Guide me On this ESC Throttle PROBLEM..

Hi Guys i have made a Quadcopter and it is Beeping Continuously on 2 ESC are driving me Nuts looking for answer all over the Forums and Google..

i have done all possible means reprogram the Multiwii Se board Multiple times but the board is okey since everything is working fine except when i attached the 2 esc for my quadcopter X and even without arming the Multiwii Se Board the minute it's Powered up the 2 ESC Beeps Continuously but the Other 2 ESC if Fine...

Tried to even enable the MOTOR_STOP on Config.h just to make sure the board will stop any motor when throttle is Down but it does not help..

So to illustrate this problem to you guys i have made a VIDEO but i had to reduce the quality because uploading 1GB video on Youtube takes a long time so i had to just reduce the quality and this is a 10 minute Video sorry about that but i did put Annotations and NOTES along the Video to illustrate that problem..

I think My problem is Throttle sync on ESC and but why does it work when its not connected to Multiwii Se Board... Please check the Video Here:

DSC 9934 Copy 1 (10 min 15 sec)

Thanks You SOO Very Much....
magician_is is offline Find More Posts by magician_is
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:15 PM
Joined Jun 2012
25 Posts
Any Suggestion Is welcome thanks Guys...
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:31 PM
United States, NV, North Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
First off stick program ALL of the ESC's. in your video you noted the Two that work didn't need throttle calibration... they do the two that don't work are calibrated to your Tx and I think are seeing a throttle above low signal from the flight control, the two ESC's you didn't calibrate aren't seeing this because... they aren't calibrated.

In Multi wii sketch config.H look for the Mincommand value, it's probaly set to 1000, lower this value to 900. Hopefully the ESC will now see a valid signal.

John
shultz is offline Find More Posts by shultz
Last edited by shultz; Aug 30, 2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Jun 2012
25 Posts
Thanks Shultz, the 2 ESC that work i did a calibration before individually all configured for quad everything from Break to timing.. But thanks for pointing some Points there i will do that when i get home tonight.. i'm still here at the office.. thanks Soooooo much SHULTZ...
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:02 PM
Joined Jun 2012
25 Posts
Shultz last question what is causing the beeping of the 2 ESC then? will that config.H look for the Mincommand value, it's probaly set to 1000, lower this value to 900 Help? thanks Alot man..
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:18 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
Generally, when ESC's fast beep like yours its because they are seeing a throttle value ABOVE what they think is OFF. this is done to keep the ESC from starting the motor if you accidently left the throttle stick above zero throttle and then plugged in a battery... without this the ESC would just start the motor like some did in the early days of electrics

when you stick programed the two ESC's to your Tx this value was changed to what ever your Tx Low endpoint is... if this is below 1000us when the ESC is plugged into the Multiwii board its now getting a low signal of 1000us from the Multiwii board thats ABOVE the stick programed setting. When you stick program the ESC's make sure your low endpoint is at 100% and throttle trim is centered.

With most ESC's this Low or OFF value is 1000 or higher, the stock 1000 setting in MWC is OK in this case.
Last edited by shultz; Aug 31, 2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:50 PM
Joined Jun 2012
25 Posts
Thanks You SOOOO Much Shultz that was a very clear point now i am able to understand my Problem thanks Alot..
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:30 AM
Joined Jun 2012
25 Posts
shultz how do i do this?

do i have to check the Tx first for its low endpoint at throttle trim? thanks man.. Your a big big help....
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:38 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
Because you have so many adjustments that can be made you can do this a number of ways... here's how I do it.

First make sure the Tx throttle channel has endpoints set for 100% both low and high, I also have the throttle Trim centered.

Now calibrate the ESC's throttle range per the ESC manual.

Once calibrated IF the board will not arm I'll adjust either Throttle Trim down until it does arm.

However, your problem is that the ESC is not getting a valid low throttle signal from the board...most of the time this is worked out when the ESC is calibrated. If not, then you can adjust the Mincommand in the Config.H file of sketch too a lower value. This value is stock at 1000, lowering it to 900 should solve your problem.

Here's how this works, Lets say the ESC throttle calibrates to a low value of 999 and high of 1850. this is FINE for your Tx, the ESC will see a good value and arm when plugged into the receiver.
Now, you hook the ESC up to the MultiWii board. The board is now sending the ESC a low signal of 1000... the ESC see's this value ABOVE what it's been told by the Tx is throttle OFF even though your Tx throttle stick is all the way down... because the ESC "thinks" throttle has been applied BEFORE the ESC had a chance to initalize the ESC refuses to start and sends the fast beep warning that throttle is NOT off. Make sense?

John
Last edited by shultz; Aug 31, 2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:56 PM
Joined Jun 2012
25 Posts
Hi Shultz this last weekend here in the philippines i did this and it automatically work

"This value is stock at 1000, lowering it to 900 should solve your problem."

well after doing that everything worked now i'm in the process of trying to trim my PID because i think its causing this imbalance right from the start.. when i finally turn on my quadcopter and arm it then put some throttle well about 20 percent along the way before i even reach the middle or lets say 50 percent throttle the front because i'm using an X configuration so the front Flips and the back could not balance it and i've notice the gyro might be working but not really sensitive, so i think its the PID well its really really confusing now hahaha any help on how to trim this flipping thing again

well Your my hero hahaha on this country your the ONLY ONE who is helping me.. to be honest i have looked for any Philippine rc flyer but no avail on quadcopter flyer's just one person .. i found one but he wants to charge me almost100 US dollar equivalent just to trim it.. and to be honest he is the only one i know that fly quadcopter here in manila out of millions of people here in manila.. thank you sooooo much shultz for all your help...
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:06 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
Glad to help

Stock MW GUI settings SHOULD get you going... you will need to tune BUT it should fly on stock GUI settings and NOT flip.

So, I'd suggest making sure...
Your props are spinning the right direction and generating LIFT.
That you have the right prop on the right motor... if the diagram shows CW for the motor make sure it has a CW prop.
Make sure you have the proper motor according to the diagram plugged in to the right spot on the board.

Once your SURE double checked positive everything is hooked up correctly, correct props all, then we can talk about possibly reversing a gyro
Old Sep 02, 2012, 07:21 PM
Joined Jun 2012
25 Posts
thank you shultz.. well i mess up the stock value of my PID.. do you know the stock value of crius multiwii se board?
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
Yes I do... but i'm not telling you

Real simple, in GUI you'll see a green colored button labled RESET... click on it

Now your back to square one.

John
Old Sep 02, 2012, 09:33 PM
Joined Jun 2012
25 Posts
i'm using a Multiwii 2.0 GUI did not see the reset..
Old Sep 02, 2012, 09:52 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
OH.... I though you were on 2.1. ok then this is what I remember from 2.0
P I D
Roll 4.0 0.030 23
pitch 4.0 0.030 23
yaw 8.5 0.000 0

Thats only the big stuff.... if you messed with anything else you'll either need to clear the Eeprom or load an older or newer version of Multiwii.... that will clear the Eeprom. note reloading 2.0 sketch will not clear the Eeprom.

Probably best to just load MW 2.1 anyway....

John