HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2010, 06:27 AM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Or he's out there promoting every new heli Walkera comes out with for WOW Hobbies.
Not always:
Walkera 4F200 Available at www.rchobbyhelicopter.com (2 min 46 sec)

Oh yeah, here's a vid of my new bird!
Rafa's first outdoor flight with his new Walkera 4F200 from Wowhobbies--with about a 5 mph wind.. (1 min 20 sec)

Rafa
Rafa's CB100 is offline Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2010, 07:35 AM
JossyRC dot com
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Feb 2010
561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technica View Post
I've seen you say this about a number of helicopters... "The only one in the world." "The only one in the USA". "The only protoype." LOL come on, it's not like these are prototype exotic cars, they're toy helicopters. I'm betting that Walkera made much more than two of them, and if they only made two, I don't think one of them would be in this country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Or he's out there promoting every new heli Walkera comes out with for WOW Hobbies.
I'm suspicious of this myself, no offense Daryl but just what is your affiliation to Walkera, RCHH, WOW - that has every heli is sent to your door before they hit the retail floor. Are you one of their test pilots? It seems odd and does effect how I read your posts, again no offense intended.
JossyRC is offline Find More Posts by JossyRC
Old Aug 04, 2010, 07:39 AM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JossyRC View Post
I'm suspicious of this myself, no offense Daryl but just what is your affiliation to Walkera, RCHH, WOW - that has every heli is sent to your door before they hit the retail floor. Are you one of their test pilots? It seems odd and does effect how I read your posts, again no offense intended.
I think he just spends more $ than we do.
Old Aug 04, 2010, 07:57 AM
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
Some inderpendent perspective....

Darryl provided me with so much behind the scenes help with my 4g3 when I first got it, honestly it was remarkable.

From what I know of Darryl he is in it for the hobby. He used to fly larger helis but has chosen to fly these little guys now so he brings alot of knowledge to the micro sector. Most guys move through micro, or dabble a little and then take their knowledge elsewhere. Being Darryl now prefers these small helis he would be a very useful guy to help debug and test new products, helis and I believe that is what the relationship is about.

He helps these vendors, whom he is probably good mates with, and in return gets to fly the new helis, products, and possibly gets a few parts, etc here and there.

I understand you guys are just wondering so I thought I'd give my opinion founded from the few years I've been reading Darryl's posts and the time he's spent helping me through pm's.

I think integrity is of paramount importance to him and that in itself would make it quite hard sometimes.

Amp
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
Old Aug 04, 2010, 08:23 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,978 Posts
I agree with Amp. DK has been a AWESOME source for info. When he answers PMs he gives a honest opinion about the product. He has never once said buy it form this guy instead of that guy. If we flew as much as he has and spent the money he has and lived closer to the hobby companies, instead of freezing our a$$es off half the year up here in Canada. We would get some perks too.

That said, I admit for the record "I Naterpin the King of crashing and crying am jealous of DK."
NaterPin is offline Find More Posts by NaterPin
Old Aug 04, 2010, 08:32 AM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaterPin View Post
I agree with Amp. DK has been a AWESOME source for info. When he answers PMs he gives a honest opinion about the product. He has never once said buy it form this guy instead of that guy. If we flew as much as he has and spent the money he has and lived closer to the hobby companies, instead of freezing our a$$es off half the year up here in Canada. We would get some perks too.

That said, I admit for the record "I Naterpin the King of crashing and crying am jealous of DK."
Amen. His advice is a big part of the reason I decided to buy a 4F200. Thanks DK!

Rafa
Old Aug 04, 2010, 08:53 AM
JossyRC dot com
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Feb 2010
561 Posts
Ok, I'll accept that.
Old Aug 04, 2010, 12:57 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,338 Posts
I have a lot of trust in what Darryl says. But, you do need to remember he's a long way from being a beginner, so factor in a little more difficulty and you will be right on.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Aug 04, 2010, 01:48 PM
JossyRC dot com
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Feb 2010
561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I have a lot of trust in what Darryl says. But, you do need to remember he's a long way from being a beginner, so factor in a little more difficulty and you will be right on.
It's not that I think he has given bad advice or something... was jsut wondering if I should be approaching his input more like unofficial product support or as from another enthusiast...

I'll buy the anwer that special treatment he gets form vendors is based on personal relationships - it's just crossed my mind a few times that he gets these pre-helis and pre-released parts etc for the soul purpose of posting it "unoffocially" - if that were the case then I would take that into account as well....
Old Aug 04, 2010, 02:08 PM
Joined Aug 2009
4,961 Posts
I strongly agree with your concerns. He might not be on the "official" payroll, but receiving perks normally effects judgement (at least subconsiously). I would imagine his relationship with the sponsors would "sour" if he gave many (any?) negative reviews.

However, it looks like he as a long history of giving "open" reviews. If over time, it was speculated (like now), and determined that his views were biased and/or inaccurate, then it probably would spread like wildfire within the RCG community, and he would get a well known bad reputation.

It doesn't look like this is the case. He seems to be a well respected contributor. I enjoy reading his posts, and don't view them as "sales" oriented. In fact, I view them as "knowledge" oriented.
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Old Aug 04, 2010, 02:55 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,978 Posts
Okay enough tongue wagging let seen more videos. Rafa hurry up with your repairs
NaterPin is offline Find More Posts by NaterPin
Old Aug 04, 2010, 02:56 PM
JossyRC dot com
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Feb 2010
561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
I strongly agree with your concerns....

... He seems to be a well respected contributor. I enjoy reading his posts, and don't view them as "sales" oriented. In fact, I view them as "knowledge" oriented.
I agree. Just wondering is all.. and that's why I ask him.

@NaterPin thumbs up!
Last edited by JossyRC; Aug 04, 2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old Aug 04, 2010, 03:16 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Have you flown a V120D01? If so how does it compare? I have a V120 and a couple of CB100/4#3 size helis. I'd love it if the V100 flew like the V120 just in the form factor of the CB100/4#3.

Dan
Yes I have flown both. No the V100 does not fly like the V120. The V120 is much more stable and smooth in FF IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technica View Post
I've seen you say this about a number of helicopters... "The only one in the world." "The only one in the USA". "The only protoype." LOL come on, it's not like these are prototype exotic cars, they're toy helicopters. I'm betting that Walkera made much more than two of them, and if they only made two, I don't think one of them would be in this country.
Have you seen another anywhere? Just pics I bet. Yes, there is another but it is in China. According to the engineering dept at Walkera, this is in fact the only other RTF model. So that is all I know about how many exist. BTW, my "sample" 4F200 that I flew for rchobbyhelicopter has a different top and bottom bearing block design and screws with no collars versus the "production" version you will be seeing. The "sample" was very hard to work on and remove the Ail/Pit servos. As a result, Walkera changed the design of the blocks to make it easier to work on. So apparently, there is a reason why they are willing to send just 1 of ? pre-production models to certain vendors. I am grateful I get to work with the 2 here in the U.S. Just having fun with the hobby is all.
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji
Old Aug 04, 2010, 04:02 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JossyRC View Post
No offense taken bud.

For the guys that know me for a while now here on RCG's, they are right. I am in it for the joy of the hobby and want nothing more than the heli flying community to get some first hand info rather than a sales pitch from a vendor. For everyone's information, I spend my own money on all of these helis, parts and upgrades. No one gives me anything nor do I want them to. It would cause a loss of objective perspective. In some instances, I have been fortunate enough to have Wow donate sample motors to the cause (like the first HP08-2 and HP07 for testing). My sole purpose is to get a chance to see how they fly as early as possible to determine how good it is out of the box, and if it isn't good, what could be done to make it better. Hopefully, this will save RCG members some grief and frustration before spending their hard earned $.

Thanks Amp for clarifying my spot with Wow and RCHH. I am just friends with them. I am not compensated in any way shape or form except I get to fly some of newest stuff before it hits retail sales. Of course there have been helis that were "loaned" to me to video (i.e., the Lama3, 180Z, V200D01, etc.) but in each of those cases, they were returned to the vendor when complete. I have no affiliation with Walkera at all. The information I am given are results of conversations of the vendors direct to the Walkera engineering departments. Even at that, sometimes the info is off. But again, all I am trying to do is furnish some useful info and what you do with it is on each of you.

I812, I have in fact given some bad reviews on some really expensive Walkera helis and upgrade items (i.e. Lama3, the bad HP08, etc) since my integrity is all I have online. In most instances though, I have worked with the vendor to create a viable economic solution so no one is turned off to the hobby and feels deceived. You will never see me try to sell anything or coax you to buy from anyone in particular. I told all of the vendors that wish me to test items that I am a heli whore. I really don't care who has it first, where I have to get from or how much it will cost. I want it and I want it now. LOL.

Hope this clears up a few things. Yes I am very fortunate to have met the guys at Wow after spending $1000's in helis and parts. As a matter of fact, one of the reasons I was introduced to the owners is because one of their shop technicians is a friend of mine from my LHS. Small world.

Keep having fun. This is a great hobby and is my personal little piece of sanity in an otherwise insane world.
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji
Old Aug 04, 2010, 04:07 PM
JossyRC dot com
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Feb 2010
561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji View Post
No offense taken bud.

For the guys that know me for a while now here on RCG's, they are right. I am in it for the joy of the hobby ...
Well, I'm a fan now!