HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by zlite, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 05:08 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,212 Posts
For those who like to read, volume 16 specifically.

http://fsims.faa.gov/PICResults.aspx...egory=all~menu
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2015, 07:40 AM
Georgia
Joined Jun 2007
731 Posts
There are possible changes that relax the pilot requirements. Sounds like the FAA is getting hammered over their over restrictive requirements for commercial use, and trying to placate those complaining.
chuck75 is offline Find More Posts by chuck75
Old Feb 15, 2015, 08:54 AM
United States, KS, Lawrence
Joined Mar 2000
55 Posts
Update on Feb 2015 FAA document

As reported widely in the press over the last couple of days, a user found an internal document at the FAA site, covering a cost-benefit analysis of proposed small UAV regulations. It is not the regulation itself, it is just a supporting document. However, it bodes well for both UAV and the model airplane groups. There is some indication from other sources that the actual rules may still be a couple of years away.

The news article regarding the recent leak is here:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregorym...g-regulations/

and the FAA document is here:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5zl...dVk/edit?pli=1

On their face, the language indicates that the FAA has taken the comments provided by industry and hobbyists seriously and is considering a very workable set of rules. (Will wonders ever cease !!!) Also, there seems to be an effort to have two categories of small UAVs: those under 4.4 lb, and those up to 55 lb. Not all will be pleased with the "rules", but they are very usable (as leaked).

It is now up to the industry and hobby groups to apply these rules responsibly. There's light at the end of the tunnel, finally, and it is not the train !

Suman
suman is offline Find More Posts by suman
Old Feb 15, 2015, 10:12 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,435 Posts
It’s difficult to sort out what rules are for commercial and hobbyists. The way I read the law is that congress would have to pass it in order for it to be legal for recreational use. The current law makes it illegal for the FAA to pass regulations for model aircraft used for hobby or recreational purposes.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Feb 15, 2015, 01:37 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2012
1,455 Posts
I haven't read it yet, but...... the real problem from their previous stance is with US manufacturers. How they were posing, made it illegal to test fly models designed and manufactured in the US. Or demo them, or win air races. So hopefully they've allowed for this.
cyberbillp is online now Find More Posts by cyberbillp
Old Feb 15, 2015, 02:19 PM
United States, KS, Lawrence
Joined Mar 2000
55 Posts
FAA sUAS NPRM doc

Well, finally, today, after years of feet-dragging, the FAA released its draft NPRM for small (<55 lb) UAVs. This release might have been prompted by the leak that occurred a couple of days earlier.

The draft NPRM of the Operation and Certification of Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems can be seen here:

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic..._signature.pdf

This is not onerous at all, considering all that the UAV industry and the model airplane hobbyists have feared. Of course, the full rules will only be in place after 2 years or so.

Enjoy !!!

Suman
suman is offline Find More Posts by suman
Old Feb 15, 2015, 07:57 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,654 Posts
I can live with most of it, however there are many issues on the commercial side that will make me unhappy.
The model exemption requirements to be operated under a national organization. Well I might have to make one, with free membership.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Feb 16, 2015, 05:58 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,435 Posts
ABC news last evening had a nice summary. They said that these were for commercial use and a draft and out for comments. They also said they were for commercial purposes. For commercial use the pilot would have to pass a UAV test but would not be required to have a pilot’s license. Seams like the main complaint from businesses was the line of sight and no night flying rules. I think that will have to be dropped for the final version.

The bottom line is for us hobby flyers nothing will change.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Feb 19, 2015, 01:55 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,514 Posts
I'm glad that our collective voices were at least heard and that a PR that makes sense and we can live with as hobbyists is now starting to appear. I would still like to see an exemption for crop survey for family-owned farms (insert clever language for LLCs created by individuals vs. mega corps). I would posit that nobody stands to benefit more than the family farmer.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Feb 19, 2015, 07:05 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Here you go, some information I caught on a Geospatial (
- GPS Survey news letter. This guy is very current with his gps stuff...enjoy

http://geospatial-solutions.com/in-a...for-small-uas/
Bferg is offline Find More Posts by Bferg
Old Today, 09:56 AM
Joined Nov 2014
21 Posts
If you want to learn more about FAA airspace regulations and how they affect UAV operaors, take a look at this free multimedia lesson on Airport Operations for UAV Pilots:
http://www.uav-groundschool.com/airport-operations
UAVCFI is online now Find More Posts by UAVCFI