HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2015, 09:36 PM
want to fly the big one please
United States, CA, Covina
Joined Feb 2013
3,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilistic View Post
You have to leave the bird sitting still on a table that you can get all the way around and adjust all three servos till the arms are at 90 degrees with the main shaft with the TX throttle at mid stick. Make a little mark with a magic marker or something for the tip of the servo arm to point to when they're spot on to make it easier to see. This is one of the annoying things about setting up a ZYX-S compared to a flybarred bird, or I guess BeastX. You can't pick up the bird so you can see when the servo arm is dialed in more easily.

On the servo trim tab of the setup software, click the little arrows for each individual servo on the slider corresponding to each servo until they're as perfect as you can get them. The other arrow buttons allow you to make directional tweaks later if your bird tends to drift in a certain direction in a hover with the sticks centered (you can't use the trims on your TX for that).

Once you have all the cyclic servo arms at 90 degrees at midstick in idle up (with throttle hold on or motor wires unplugged), level the swashplate mechanically by adjusting the cyclic servo arm to swashplate linkages. The easiest way is to use the cable tie method, like sgbfly does in his video.

Then go back to the Collective Pitch tab of the ZYX-S software and set your pitch to +/- 12 degrees max. pitch. Adjust the slider to opposite polarity here if the swash isn't moving in the correct direction. You should have zero degrees pitch at mid stick, and as close to 12 degrees in each extreme of the throttle stick as you can. If you have something like +2 degrees at midstick,+14 degrees max. stick, and -10 degrees min. stick, then adjust all three cyclic swash links the same amount of turns (so you maintain a level swash) till you have 0 degrees at mid stick. Then your max. and min. pitch will fall into line at 12 degrees. If you have more or less max. or min. pitch, but 0 degrees at midstick, you'll need to adjust the blade pitch links of the rotor head. You need to check both blades. A digital pitch gauge sure makes this easier and more precise, but you can do it with an ordinary one using a level chart on the wall as a reference the way sgbfly did in his video.

Then go back to the Aileron and Elevator travel tab and adjust those sliders until you get +/- 10 degrees pitch for both. Dr. M suggests 10 degrees as optimal for the ZYX-S. Some people prefer 8 degrees.

Once you have those dialed in, move all the sticks around to their extremes and check for any binding on the swash, or the servo arms and links. On some frames (like my EXI 450 SE V2 clone), the lower front cyclic servo arm can get down into the main gear at full negative pitch and full aileron, which would be disastrous in the air. Check for that, and trim any unnecessary servo arm that protrudes past the ball link (don't trim so much you weaken the ball link though of course).

Then proceed on with the rest of the setup, getting the tail dialed in, and the gyro sense settings and pyro optimization.

Then you'll need to mechanically dial in the tail on your maiden flight by moving the tail servo forward or back on the tail boom (or adjusting the tail servo linkage if the frame you're using has the tail servo mounted on the frame) while in rate mode. The tail will behave its best if this is done. You can get away with just flying in HH mode if it's close, but it's best not to skip this step. Accidentally flipping into rate mode gives you a spinning bird in flight if you don't
got busy for a couple days and could not finish setup but i am attempting to now.
thanks very much for this short setup guide, i really appreciate it.
i am working off a hotspot at the moment and cannot stream too well to see some of these run through vids.
In ZYX manual it states to put tail a 8 deg. pre-load at center for torque compensation, so if I setup tail servo in rate mode will it basically be at 8 deg. anyway? little confused on this stuff concerning tail
psychlic is offline Find More Posts by psychlic
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2015, 01:51 AM
Joined Feb 2009
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychlic View Post
got busy for a couple days and could not finish setup but i am attempting to now.
thanks very much for this short setup guide, i really appreciate it.
i am working off a hotspot at the moment and cannot stream too well to see some of these run through vids.
In ZYX manual it states to put tail a 8 deg. pre-load at center for torque compensation, so if I setup tail servo in rate mode will it basically be at 8 deg. anyway? little confused on this stuff concerning tail
Get your tail servo arm at 90 degrees at center stick with the trims on the tail setup tab of the ZYX-S software, then move the tail servo forward (toward the frame) on the boom (or adjust the linkage if your tail servo is mounted on the frame) so that you get about 8 degrees of pitch on your tail blades to counter the torque of the main blades in a hover. This makes it easier on the FBL controller, and saves you from a possible crash if you accidentally flip the gyro switch on your TX to rate mode in flight. Then you'll probably need to hover in rate mode to see if the tail holds steady, then adjust the tail servo position forward or backward to get it steady in a hover, then tighten the tail servo bolts up and you're all set.
Nihilistic is offline Find More Posts by Nihilistic
Old Feb 14, 2015, 01:54 AM
Joined Feb 2009
118 Posts
Then you may need to go back into the ZYX-S software and set the tail limits so you have full throw and no binding in either full left or right rudder.
Nihilistic is offline Find More Posts by Nihilistic
Old Feb 14, 2015, 07:23 AM
want to fly the big one please
United States, CA, Covina
Joined Feb 2013
3,173 Posts
Ok, will do.
Setup complete, after rudder servo adjust
just waiting for maiden test fly Sat eve or Sun and will dial the tail in
gyro seems to be operating properly
a bit nervous, but have time to double check everything
will let u guys know how it goes, and have some pics
thanks again Nihilistic and all for help!
psychlic is offline Find More Posts by psychlic
Old Feb 25, 2015, 05:19 PM
Joined Jun 2014
3 Posts
tarot zyx bluetooth connections

Hi, I recently bought the tarot zyx bluetooth module from Tarot only to find no way to pair it with PC or Phone (tried 1234, 0000, 5872 non worked). I decided to use some of the Bluetooth modules I already had (just changed the plugs) there makes are Crius (HC-07) & JY-MCU BT Board V1.05 (HC-06) both are available on Ebay for about 4. Both of these paired perfectly with my PC & Galaxy S4 phone using code 1234. Looking side on at the Tarot ZXY -S2 the pins are (from left to right) GND - VCC - TXD - RXD (I have put a picture under FILES on Hobbyking Tarot ZXY-S2 product page). This setup (same pin order) also works fine with the earlier Tarot ZYX.
Razerman1 is offline Find More Posts by Razerman1
Old Feb 26, 2015, 04:45 PM
Joined Jun 2014
3 Posts
Hi, I recently bought the tarot zyx bluetooth module from Tarot only to find no way to pair it with PC or Phone (tried 1234, 0000, 5872 non worked). I decided to use some of the Bluetooth modules I already had (just changed the plugs) there makes are Crius (HC-07) & JY-MCU BT Board V1.05 (HC-06) both are available on Ebay for about 4. Both of these paired perfectly with my PC & Galaxy S4 phone using code 1234. Looking side on at the Tarot ZXY -S2 the pins are (from left to right) GND - VCC - TXD - RXD (I have put a picture under FILES on Hobbyking Tarot ZXY-S2 product page). This setup (same pin order) also works fine with the earlier Tarot ZYX
PLEASE NOTE...The original Tarot ZXY and the newer Tarot ZXY -S2 can use the same Bluetooth module (this one on Hobbyking should be fine just use 1234 or 0000 to pair), BUT you CANNOT use the same phone App (there are TWO phone Apps one for each model). As with the PC Software you need a different program for each ZYX model.. Hope this helps!
Razerman1 is offline Find More Posts by Razerman1
Old Feb 27, 2015, 06:02 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Mar 2011
225 Posts
Hi Guys, I have read this thread and realised that the problem i'm having with ZYX s2 version of not getting DSMX sattelite to bind ( yellow light flashing when connected with Satellite) is pretty common and also once you get solid light using conventional receiver none of the servos move although the "monitor" screen shows the right movement.

I have read the thread and saw these questions raised but did not find any answers to these questions.Im using HK939 MG servos and then thought of upgrading the servos that work on 1520us frequency but not sure if i should waste money on servos or change to Kbar.

Can anyone help please?
Force10 is offline Find More Posts by Force10
Old Feb 27, 2015, 07:15 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Mar 2011
225 Posts
Finally got satellite to bind with ZYX unit , but still no servo movement , monitor screen shows the movement fine.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 08:43 AM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,477 Posts
Sorry , I use Futaba . I remember reading it here how some had the same problem as you and resolved it . It's in this mess of reading but not sure where .

You could try to PM Whickedclown , he uses the same setup as you and got it to work .
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc_wickedclown View Post
no not if you are using a standard rx

if its not connected properly to the rx could also cause flashing light
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Feb 28, 2015, 08:45 AM
Blue Bell, PA USA
Joined Sep 2008
925 Posts
Apologies in advance if you are already familiar with the below, but I found they they helped me... two different methods to consider...

Tarot ZYX Process to Bind a Satellite RX using DX8 or DX6i (8 min 30 sec)

How to set up a Spektrum sat with a ZYX-s (11 min 36 sec)
Steve Joblin is online now Find More Posts by Steve Joblin
Old Feb 28, 2015, 06:14 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Mar 2011
225 Posts
[QUOTE=Steve Joblin;30919659]Apologies in advance if you are already familiar with the below, but I found they they helped me... two different methods to consider...

Thank you Steve for your response, however my challenge is that I'm using ZYX s2 which is totally different to S version. I will keep on trying, until I find a fix.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 06:18 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Mar 2011
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
Sorry , I use Futaba . I remember reading it here how some had the same problem as you and resolved it . It's in this mess of reading but not sure where .

You could try to PM Whickedclown , he uses the same setup as you and got it to work .
Thanks Mate, I will try contacting Whickedclown.

I will also try to use different TX &RX (Turnigy 9X) see if that makes any diffrence.