Old Jan 13, 2014, 09:00 PM
Eye in the Sky
Joined Sep 2013
353 Posts
Discussion
Super Cub 800mm

Anyone seen this Super Cub ?
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...de_2_RTF_.html

I have already purchased it. have yet to put it together.Looks like the HZ Super Cub just smaller.

It is made by Volantex . They do offer a 3 and 4 channel version

Appears it could be a very good Park Flyer. i am sure there are Mods( Wheels-some Reinforcements etc etc ) that will need done. But so far it appears to be very Nice. Looks very well made.Nice EPO Foam and very good detail.

What do you think ?
HGhost is offline Find More Posts by HGhost
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2014, 09:50 AM
Over the Hill, 3rd Oak Tree on left
Joined Nov 2005
218 Posts
This looks interesting, nice find pilot.. Let me know what you think when you get it.

This might be yet ANOTHER must have plane..

CS
Captain Speedy is offline Find More Posts by Captain Speedy
Old Jan 14, 2014, 07:15 PM
Joined Apr 2013
317 Posts
I like it. I would have to have a Spektrum receiver in it so I could use my DX6I.

Jack
pjdog350 is offline Find More Posts by pjdog350
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 4 new AR6100E from Target Hobby
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:41 PM
Joined Jan 2014
74 Posts
I almost got that one instead of the firstar, have you had a chance to take it out for a flight yet?
infernisidem is offline Find More Posts by infernisidem
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:20 AM
Eye in the Sky
Joined Sep 2013
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by infernisidem View Post
I almost got that one instead of the firstar, have you had a chance to take it out for a flight yet?
have not put it together yet. I am going to do a few Mods, larger Wheels, some reinforcements and i am going to install lights and I am going to install a gyro flight stabilizer as well.
( the wing already is reinforced from the factory ) will need some Tail-Wheel Mod and strength. Have not gone over it all yet, but It really looks great and the detail is something else. Foam is strong. And it does look like the HZ Super Cub, just smaller and with Ailerons already installed.
It comes with a decal sheet you have to install or leave off ( which ever one you decide) But it does look good.

It is winter here and way to cold and windy and snow to fly anything. Probably won't get to fly her until March or April .
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:23 AM
Eye in the Sky
Joined Sep 2013
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdog350 View Post
I like it. I would have to have a Spektrum receiver in it so I could use my DX6I.

Jack

I am going to use my Tactic TTX650 and TR624 Receiver in it myself
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:53 AM
Australia, TAS, Devonport
Joined Aug 2012
3 Posts
Can anyone please suggest a replacement motor for this Cub?
ColinOv is offline Find More Posts by ColinOv
Old Jan 28, 2014, 04:30 PM
Joined Jan 2014
5 Posts
I own this plane and it flies well, I am a beginner with the 3 channel. This plane is durable I have gotten stuck in a tree, smacked straight into another and it holds up. The only problem I have had is the landing gear and battery door tear off and must be reglued
Nutlug is offline Find More Posts by Nutlug
Old Feb 06, 2014, 12:36 AM
Eye in the Sky
Joined Sep 2013
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutlug View Post
I own this plane and it flies well, I am a beginner with the 3 channel. This plane is durable I have gotten stuck in a tree, smacked straight into another and it holds up. The only problem I have had is the landing gear and battery door tear off and must be reglued

Yeah Volantex makes a 3 and 4 channel version of this Mini Super Cub.

Have not done Mods yet, but will re-enforce the LG and battery box area and add larger wheels and different tail wheel and secure it better.
I am sure once i get into it will need to do a few other things like on the HZ Super Cub. But all and all it appears to be a nice plane. Already has re-enforced wings has balsa wood it appears in it
Going to add lights to this one i think as well.Nice looking little plane, perfect size for my field. This one along with the Yak 12, will be sweet come spring.
Old Feb 07, 2014, 04:16 PM
Eye in the Sky
Joined Sep 2013
353 Posts
I got to stop buying planes......I am a junky it seems........
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:34 PM
Eye in the Sky
Joined Sep 2013
353 Posts
Update on Mini Cub
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...de_2_RTF_.html

Have not put them together yet, going to do some Mods

Details :
Wingspan 750 mm
Length 520 mm
Flight Weight 210g
Battery Lipo 7.4V / 500 mAh
Motor 3 ch - 180A Brushed / 4 ch 2808A Brushless
ESC 3 ch 10 A Brushed / 4 ch 10 A brushless
2.4 Ghz 4 channel Proportional Control
Radio Control Range 300m

I have Two of them, one is a 3 ch version and the other is a 4 ch .

here are some pics of the differences and how they appear.

3 ch. has a Brushed motor

3 ch electronics and servo's

wing setting on fuselage 3 ch.

Here is the 4 ch Brushless Motor

4 ch electronics, servos, Esc

4 ch wing w/servo for ailerons

wings for both

Additional parts for both
LG parts bag etc

Transmitter is the same on both , also comes with AA Batteries and the 4 ch one comes with a Receiver and the 3 channel one has a built in receiver on the circuit board-servo-receiver set up in picture shown above.

also comes with a Lipo battery and a very odd looking charger that has a USB end on it, inside what you can't see is electronics on the wide end that has that USB on it.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:45 PM
Eye in the Sky
Joined Sep 2013
353 Posts
I bought the 4 channel one from HK and I saw the 3ch one at Amazon.

I decided to buy both. When i got the 3 channel version i did not know the electronics were that way. I figured both had the same set up, but they do not.

I wanted to add some lights and I am not sure exactly how to set up the 3 ch one because I am not that good with electronics. I have built many balsa planes, but when it comes to electronics I am pretty lost.

I see the 3 ch one has a circuit board- esc-receiver-set up, and I also see it has a port plug that maybe one can plug a LED into ? Not sure....
May just try and fly it at first with the current set up and then change it to a brushless set up later on . I like flying 3 channel planes, why i bought it as well

Will use my tactic radio and set up for the 4 ch version one .

Will install larger wheels and tail wheel . Hopefully will be able to see how they perform in the air this spring .

Just wanted to show what they looked like in case anyone was interested in them

They do look allot like the HZ Super Cub.

The decals come separate and can be installed or left off , they are on a large sheet in the box.

Not bad for the price , had to have them.
Old Mar 02, 2014, 09:09 AM
Joined Jan 2014
74 Posts
I am disappointed with the 3 channel setup that volantex offers, if you break a servo, you have to replace the entire board, sadly, I broke the elevator servo on my firstar and can't seem to find a replacement servo for it anywhere, I can't even find just a 2 wired servo for it. I am thinking that when taxes come in, I will buy a 6ch controller, receiver, couple of servos and a 20+a esc to replace the guts of my firstar. But until then, I have to look at it longingly as it hangs from my ceiling and the days get nicer T_T
Old Mar 02, 2014, 01:28 PM
Eye in the Sky
Joined Sep 2013
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by infernisidem View Post
I am disappointed with the 3 channel setup that volantex offers, if you break a servo, you have to replace the entire board, sadly, I broke the elevator servo on my firstar and can't seem to find a replacement servo for it anywhere, I can't even find just a 2 wired servo for it. I am thinking that when taxes come in, I will buy a 6ch controller, receiver, couple of servos and a 20+a esc to replace the guts of my firstar. But until then, I have to look at it longingly as it hangs from my ceiling and the days get nicer T_T

yeah that was my concern when i saw this 3ch version. With everything being that one circuit board set up...one would have to buy another entire plane to get it.

I have been debating whether to go ahead and get a brushless motor-ESC-servos' and go ahead and remove that set up and make it more like the 4 channel version....I probably will just fly it at first like it is and then if something happens, change it all out.....That's probably what i will do.
Old Mar 04, 2014, 10:38 AM
Joined Jan 2014
74 Posts
I was gonna ask if you knew what they would call that, cause it is annoying looking at my plane hanging there on days that I could be flying it lol