SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 27, 2014, 02:03 PM
rmar
Nebraska
Joined Nov 2010
96 Posts
First of all - thanks everyone for the feedback.

I purchased the kit from Banzai Hobby in Japan. I got it there because the kit came with a radio and was much cheaper than anything I could find in the US and all of the US kits require you to purchase a radio separately - which makes me "Ask why does the kit come with a radio in Japan but not in the US?". With the US price coming to just about $1,000 the Japan buy was must a much better deal.

I contacted Banazi Hobby just as soon as I discovered I was missing the gear drives. I didn't find that out until I came to that step of the build. Since this was my first time at something like this I didn't know you're supposed to take everything out and check for missing parts. Banzai contacted Tamiya since they agreed with me that it was Tamiya's problem. Banzai has been in contact with me since that time and they are having problems getting the parts from Tamiya. So I can not return it !!! So back to my original opinion of Tamiya - never again !!!

And I did contact Tamiya US and they told me it was not their problem.

And I repeat again - for the cost of over $1,000 the fact that I have to "scratch build" anything is BS. So I am pretty much dead in the water without the gear boxes.

As far as if the tank is accurate I have no idea. I was just liked the look of the thing and thought I would give it a try. But this experience this has been a very large waste of money !!!!!
rmar is offline Find More Posts by rmar
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2014, 04:25 PM
Joined Apr 2010
109 Posts
I totally agree with your issues and here is a great solution for you and your build.

So, here is my no strings attached offer, the parts you need for your build are FREE, FedEx insured shipping, you pay for.

Stop bitching about your problems and look to a free solution and get out your camera or cell phone and post the photos as requested in his thread. Tamiya rc builders do stuff like this, it is a pretty cool community.

Contact me at "messages" at RC Groups Tanks or message me on Facebook. Simple. Send me a PayPal payment for FedEx charges and will I send you parts.

So I know you are not some damn 13 year old spammer or worse, do the following.

I have offered you a great build solution, just post proof of Tamiya Sherman IDF build kit photos with today's newspaper included in each image and showing the paper's date and year, clearly, in focus. and I will send you new left & right Tamiya Sherman gearboxes that you need to finish off your kit.

Plus as a surprise, a bunch of Sherman IDF new aftermarket parts, including, maybe, road wheel bearings and maybe a Daryl Turner Sherman gearbox mount brace and DT metal elevation arm for just the FedEx and insurance charge to your state from CA.

I have purchased a Tamiya JS-2 from Banzai Hobby with no issues in 2014, but again stuff happens, though my experience tells Banzai would send you missing gearboxes in a heart beat.

My rc tanks:

https://www.facebook.com/john.ackerman.775

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5393693&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/11363384539...type=3&theater

Scroll Down to the bottom of the page:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1428058
C4ISTAR is offline Find More Posts by C4ISTAR
Last edited by C4ISTAR; Aug 27, 2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 04:54 PM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Feb 2008
112 Posts
Thanks for the information. It's an unfortunate story.

I do not agree with the conclusion reached by yourself and Banzai Hobby that the missing gearboxes are a Tamiya problem.

Why? Because I speculate that Tamiya (just like any mfg.) assumes that every product shipped to a reseller arrives complete and undamaged. The reseller (Banazai Hobby) has a duty to inspect the product in a timely manner, and notify the manufacturer and the shipper of a non-conforming or damaged product. Seems unlikely Banzai wouldn't have done this, but anything is possible I suppose.

I suggest you return the kit to Banzai Hobby for a full refund (including all the shipping (both ways)) and if they refuse, have charge reversed on your credit card and keep the kit. Once you have a refund, go buy something that makes you happy.
jeff489 is offline Find More Posts by jeff489
Last edited by jeff489; Aug 27, 2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 07:56 PM
United States
Joined Oct 2008
587 Posts
I agree with Jeff. If Tamiya left out the parts, the retailer should have checked it before selling it.

Don't let one bad situation ruin an opinion of Tamiya. I have built... well more than I want to admit to and it's not happened to me.

Hang in there and let us know the conclusion!

Jeff
Panther F is offline Find More Posts by Panther F
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:01 PM
Joined Apr 2010
109 Posts
I agree with you all, but then again overseas returns are expensive and a vendor in Japan is probably not operating under the laws that Jeff is familiar with.

And I have never received a mail ordered open for inspection, prior to delivery, Tamiya RC tank kit box. My Tamiya kits have arrived factory sealed at delivery.

So, I don't think what I am reading solves rmar's issue and or gets him building again, assuming that rmar wants to build his IDF Sherman now?

Anyway, this is Banzai Hobbies return policy at:
http://banzaihobby.com/shipping-returns

Manufacturers Faults:
If you believe that the item you have bought from us has a manufacturer fault, please contact us within 3 days from the time you received the products and we will further investigate the matter.

Damaged Goods / Missing Items:
If you receive your order and find that it has been damaged in the post, we are more than happy to assist with any claims to EMS. You will receive refunds / compensation through EMS as all the products sent using EMS are covered by insurance. Similarly, if your order goes missing in the post, we will do all we can to follow it up with EMS, but any refunds for items lost in the post must be applied for through EMS.

Seems fair and rmar could have easily resolved his issues if he reacted promptly, maybe faster and did not get so hung up on finding the easy to make gas can brackets in the aftermarket. I looked they do not yet exist, LOL. Lastly, Tamiya gearbox parts 4205027/8 seem to be in short supply, as Tamiya USA shows them out of stock.

Do consider this work around solution if rmar actually wants to build the kit:

The Tamiya Tiger I gearboxes are the same as the Tamiya Sherman gearboxes, so buy these on ebay and have Banazi Hobbies refund the cost to you or have Banazi buy the gearboxes for you and ship them to you, visit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4205027-8-Ta...item56692ac550

FYI, jr-rc on eBay is a trust worthy Tamiya parts vendor.

Or take my offer and be done with this thread, message me at RC Groups Tanks.

Best of Luck.
Last edited by C4ISTAR; Aug 27, 2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 09:45 AM
rmar
Nebraska
Joined Nov 2010
96 Posts
Again thanks everyone for the comments. I doubt the seller would take the kit back since I have painted most of it and that is before I discovered the missing gear boxes. Plus the return cost would probably be in the $100 range - and I'm not going to spend more money on this project. And the kit came sealed from Tamiya and did not appear to have been open prior to me getting it. Banzai Hobby has been first class in their customer service but they seem to be at the mercy of Tamiya in getting the parts.

And once again I DID NOT PURCHASE this kit from a US supplier so the US warranty does not apply. And I did contact Tamiya US and they told me it was not their problem - I should contact the retail outlet where I purchased it.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:10 AM
rmar
Nebraska
Joined Nov 2010
96 Posts
C4ISTAR - thanks for the very nice offer but I don't understand why you would be willing to just give me $100 worth of parts !!

When I started this thread it was to ask what the instructions meant by the bracket material was available elsewhere. But it has turned into a complaint about Tamiya in general.

Sorry but I am a 60+ retired old man who does not own a digital camera or a cell phone with a camera and I AM NOT on Facebook as I find it the biggest waste of time I have ever encountered in my life !! So I have no way to prove that I am not a 13 year old though I would hardly waste my time posing just to get some parts.

So I am sorry if you think I am dwelling on this issue but I am unable to "move on" and I can not complete the kit without the parts. Given the other issues that I have encountered already I'm starting to think that this kit may be beyond my abilities !!

And as I said in my previous post, by the time I discovered the missing parts I had already painted most of the model. And to add to that I purchased this as a birth day present for myself, which was in January, but I did not start the build until I retired in June. So too much time had passed to return it even if I had not painted it.
Last edited by rmar; Aug 28, 2014 at 01:22 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:01 AM
Joined Apr 2010
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmar View Post
C4ISTAR - thanks for the very nice offer but I don't understand why you would be willing to just give me $100 worth of parts !!

When I started this thread it was to ask what the instructions meant by the bracket material was available elsewhere. But it has turned into a complaint about Tamiya in general.

Sorry but I am a 60+ retired old man who does not own a digital camera or a cell phone with a camera and I AM NOT on Facebook as I find it the biggest waste of time I have ever encountered in my life !! So I have no way to prove that I am not a 13 year old though I would hardly waste my time posing just to get some parts.

So I am sorry if you think I am dwelling on this issue but I am unable to "move on" and I can not complete the kit without the parts. Given the other issues that I have encountered already I'm starting to think that this kit may be beyond my abilities !!

And as I said in my previous post, by the time I discovered the missing parts I had already painted most of the model. And to add to that I purchased this as a birth present for myself, which was in January, but I did not start the build until I retired in June. So too much time had passed to return it even if I had not painted it.
Answers:

Tip: If you had followed the directions in order, you would have discovered pretty quickly that the gearboxes where missing. The model building game is mostly to do it their way and not your way, and I know that can be a difficult task for a 60 something fellow, but you have to follow the kit directions to the letter!

I am a 68 year old retired guy (for 3 years) who uses Facebook to communicate with and enjoy the work of accomplished modelers all over the world. So, if your a modeler, FB is absolutely not a waste of time.

Like I said, passing on the the parts is no big deal. I rounded up the parts for a IDF Sherman build some time back and that project changed, for who knows why, to a Tamiya JS-2 in 2013, which means my spare parts box has stuff in it now I will never use. I even bought the metal drive covers from Jeff's wife off eBay.

Again, if you follow the IDF Sherman kit instructions in order, as printed, the kit is well within your abilities if you bring dedicated interest, focus and time to site down and build out the kit, while reading and understanding the directions. A great benefit of modeling, it will help keep one mentally agile.

Over the last couple of years I did model commission work for some very serious rc tank collectors, something I was not going to do and or do again after my outstanding commitments are completed, but the significant profit for building a few rc tanks for others allows me to pass on these parts to you at no loss to myself.

Suggestion: Have a friend or family member photograph your kit with "date" and the parts are yours, all of them, or just the gearboxes. If you need help to post photos, I or many others can walk you though the easy process. Photos are just a standard part of social media and helping to keep things on the up and up, so no offense intended.

John
Old Aug 28, 2014, 01:21 PM
rmar
Nebraska
Joined Nov 2010
96 Posts
John - Again thanks for the "tip" but I did follow the instructions in order. It was when I got to step #4 (attaching the six-sided mounts to the gear boxes) and looked through the box for the gear boxes that I discovered they were missing. I contacted Banzai Hobby and decided to see what I could work ahead on. I found that I could do the steps that assembled and attached the wheels so that is what I did. I have done enough models in my life to know that you follow the instructions in order so please don't say that I didn't follow the instructions !!!

And thanks for your generous offer but I have already spent $1,000 on this disaster including after market parts, suggested by another member on this forum, so I have decided that I don't want to put another dime into this piece of junk and I will probably drop the whole thing in the trash and list it as a very bad idea !!!
Last edited by rmar; Aug 28, 2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 03:38 PM
Joined Apr 2010
109 Posts
OK, take care and enjoy your school year.