HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
As there is no power-amp, the maximum output of the Hubsan Tx is 1.3dBm (I verified it does actually run at max power). that is ~1.35mW (not 3mW as someone mentioned). That is plenty for an indoor space, but I definitely wouldn't want to go too far away outdoors. Fine for a small field though
PhracturedBlue is offline Find More Posts by PhracturedBlue
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:08 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,591 Posts
Hi P,
Good point. And with your Deviation firmware in a capable Walkera DEVO 10mw/100mw Tx's the range would be much greater than the ~150ft max range of the OEM X4 Tx. That would benefit those who want to try some FPV out of visual range.
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhracturedBlue View Post
As there is no power-amp, the maximum output of the Hubsan Tx is 1.3dBm (I verified it does actually run at max power). that is ~1.35mW (not 3mW as someone mentioned). That is plenty for an indoor space, but I definitely wouldn't want to go too far away outdoors. Fine for a small field though
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:44 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Hi P,
Good point. And with your Deviation firmware in a capable Walkera DEVO 10mw/100mw Tx's the range would be much greater than the ~150ft max range of the OEM X4 Tx. That would benefit those who want to try some FPV out of visual
well, you can't get to 100mW with the Hubsan. the '500m' module I recommend, is only ~17dBm (50mW), though that is certainly a lot more range than the stock Tx
PhracturedBlue is offline Find More Posts by PhracturedBlue
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Oct 2006
31 Posts
I've had a quick trawl thro' the thread - is there an ebay store with decent ratings or an absolutely reliable UK based sources for the motors for this thing? Are there any other helis with the same motors?

I found the post recommending a Walkera replacement on ebay but the number of negative comments makes me very unwilling to commit, even such a small amount.

Cheers!

While I think of it - while trying to fix one of my motors I seem to have damaged the brushes on the plastic end-cap - could that cap be replaced by, say, an S107 motor cap, rather than replacing the whole motor? (Posts say the entire motor isn't compatible)
ShaKaan is offline Find More Posts by ShaKaan
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:52 PM
Joined Mar 2012
127 Posts
Confirmed: QR Ladybird Z-01 Propellers work better. Seems to me they have a little more pitch. Takes less torque with better response. Dont make sense but three batteries later the motors are not that warm.

If you get new props then these are suggested! By me!
iwillbme2 is offline Find More Posts by iwillbme2
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:56 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,731 Posts
@PhracturedBlue

But Hubsan X4 doesn't use Flysky protocol.So how do you play X4?
Maybe I'm missing something.

Quote:
In case anyone is interested. I thought I'd let you know that I can now fly my X4 with my Devo transmitter (using the custom Deviation firmware and an easy hardware mod).

Quote:
There are detailed instructions on the deviationtx website here:
http://www.deviationtx.com/repositor...y-to-Devo.pdf/

If you remove the module from a V911 Tx, it requires desoldering or judicious use of a hacksaw as well as soldering 5 wires. If you buy a module from ebay/aliexpress, it only requires soldering 5 wires. The solder points are very easy to hit (soldering to existing pins or pads).

Personally, I do it via wire-wrap which requires virtually no soldering, but you need to have the proper tools for that.
midelic is offline Find More Posts by midelic
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by midelic; Nov 23, 2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midelic View Post
But Hubsan X4 doesn't use Flysky protocol.So how do you play X4?
Maybe I'm missing something.
Just take a look there :http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1773853
mystman is online now Find More Posts by mystman
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:34 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Jan 2012
1,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwillbme2 View Post
Confirmed: QR Ladybird Z-01 Propellers work better. Seems to me they have a little more pitch. Takes less torque with better response. Dont make sense but three batteries later the motors are not that warm.

If you get new props then these are suggested! By me!
I reported this some time back, take a look at this video.

The Hubsan X4 (0 min 28 sec)
skipper1 is offline Find More Posts by skipper1
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:38 PM
Are You Salty?
United States, IN, Reelsville
Joined Aug 2012
63 Posts
Finally got my Walkera Ladybird V2 and it sucks compared to the Hubsan x4. Its more durable but the rotor response is so slow. the Hubsan will spin like a top but the ladybird very slowly turns. Also flips are much harder on the Ladybird compared to the Hubsan.
SaltCritters is offline Find More Posts by SaltCritters
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:47 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper1 View Post
I reported this some time back, take a look at this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixYoKUeJ4gg&feature=plcp
I have been considering the x4.

No offence intended but this video looks more like a promo video than showing any kind of flight characteristics. It is out of focus and kind of makes me dizzy to watch it.

Can you shoot one with better focus, and say 2 minutes of continuous hovering and buzzing around, without the cuts?

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:01 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post

No offence intended but this video looks more like a promo video than showing any kind of flight characteristics. It is out of focus and kind of makes me dizzy to watch it.

Can you shoot one with better focus, and say 2 minutes of continuous hovering and buzzing around, without the cuts?

regards . . . g
Is that the only video you're bothering to comment on?
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,218 Posts
Quote:

regards . . . g
I put that together for those with short attention spans, which is most of us these days. When we work on the computer and have to wait more than 6 seconds, we wonder, what is taking so long.
What is so special about seeing a quad hover for 2 minutes? Just go get one and have fun with the rest of us, when you break the props, replace them with Lady Bird props, they're great.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:33 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Is that the only video you're bothering to comment on?
I'm not sure what your point is or why . . .

But I am trying to evaluate the x4 on the basis of whether it will add anything to my fleet, compared to the x100, aka Mini Pet.

I am trying to find a video that shows the flight characteristics of the x4, flying in a small area, including effects of any enhancements such as using alternative props, etc. That is what this video purported to be.

This was not intended to be a criticism of his work.

regards . . . g

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper1 View Post
I put that together for those with short attention spans, which is most of us these days. When we work on the computer and have to wait more than 6 seconds, we wonder, what is taking so long.
What is so special about seeing a quad hover for 2 minutes? Just go get one and have fun with the rest of us, when you break the props, replace them with Lady Bird props, they're great.
I don't want to see the x4 hover. Hovering is for Syma s107's. You obviously can handle the quad well, and also have editing skills. I am simply asking to see more of what the x4 can do.

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:54 PM
Joined Jul 2012
442 Posts
I broke my first motor
My x4 will take a break until spare motors, ordered some time ago from bg, will arrive.
I will miss it.
Soul Reaver is offline Find More Posts by Soul Reaver
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,218 Posts
Quote:
I'm not sure what your point is or why . . .

But I am trying to evaluate the x4 on the basis of whether it will add anything to my fleet, compared to the x100, aka Mini Pet.

I am trying to find a video that shows the flight characteristics of the x4, flying in a small area, including effects of any enhancements such as using alternative props, etc. That is what this video purported to be.

This was not intended to be a criticism of his work.

regards . . . g

I don't want to see the x4 hover. Hovering is for Syma s107's. You obviously can handle the quad well, and also have editing skills. I am simply asking to see more of what the x4 can do.

regards . . . g
Thanks for the compliment, actually I suck at flying. That's why I got the X4. I live in a small apartment and this thing is perfect for learning and or sharpening your skills. Some fly them outside, I would never do that, they're so small that it would take no time before losing sight of it.