SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:50 AM
United States, NM, Espanola
Joined Nov 2011
550 Posts
both of my planes had velcro already glued in! About a four inch long piece!
I'm using 5 cell batts with just a piece of velcro ACROSS the bottom front of the batt.
Can move the batt fore or aft with ease and they stay put!
Dan
poziovahim is offline Find More Posts by poziovahim
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:28 AM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
1,086 Posts
Yes I think my had that to but it come up I thought the CA would hold but it not I think I will try epoxy. hoping that if there was a release agent the CA removed it
Fixed the above problem and on the second flight the ESC went out, or at least the motor started surging, landed no problem. As a matter of fact had to go around once, cannot believe how much it floats. What little I have flown the plane I can see where this could became one of if not my favorite plane. Changed out the ESC, I had bought a Hobby Wing 40 amp based on other experiences.
What are you guys doing about the bad ESC or is it possible that the motor timing is off, and if so then why did it fly just fine for 12 minutes before it started acting up. Plus I removed the webbing between 3 of the cylinders so there would be more airflow. I have been flying at 1\2 throttle or less, motor is stone cooled and I am running a 12 X 8 APC prop, which I really like the performance.
Are you returning the ESC? In my case Grayson Hobbies, I was thinking of just forgetting it

Thanks
Ken Smith
Be Safe
Ken Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ken Smith
Last edited by Ken Smith; Oct 29, 2012 at 08:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:53 AM
United States, NM, Espanola
Joined Nov 2011
550 Posts
Hey Ken,
I'm approaching my 40th flight today!
This IS my favorite plane ever and I have had over 50 planes in my past
Once in a while when first running the motor, it won't immediately start but stutters when trying to throttle her up! After some fiddling with the throttle stick she'll finally run right!
I just live with it and it never gives me any grief upstairs so...
Dan
poziovahim is offline Find More Posts by poziovahim
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:32 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poziovahim View Post
Hey Ken,
I'm approaching my 40th flight today!
This IS my favorite plane ever and I have had over 50 planes in my past
Once in a while when first running the motor, it won't immediately start but stutters when trying to throttle her up! After some fiddling with the throttle stick she'll finally run right!
I just live with it and it never gives me any grief upstairs so...
Dan
Same setup in there Peaks and it stutters a bit on low idle but seems fine when flying. Peaks is my favorite at moment, Waco has not flown yet.
Tim BTW 66 here!
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Last edited by w4yn; Oct 30, 2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:58 AM
Joined Mar 2005
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
Same setup in there Peaks and it stutters a bit on low idle but seems fine when flying. Peaks is my favorite at moment, Waco has not flown yet.
Tim BTW 66 here!
I for one cannot live with this so I changed the ESC plus the throttle response was very poor. I was just wondering what everyone else was doing about this, yes what little I have been able to fly the model I can see the potentially. It looks like the wind is picking up so I may be grounded today
Thanks
Ken Smith
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:03 PM
Go 4th Air Force
United States, PA, Washington
Joined Sep 2011
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Are you returning the ESC? In my case Grayson Hobbies, I was thinking of just forgetting it
I returned mine to Grayson Hobbies and they sent me a new one. Now I have a spare ESC that I dont really trust. Not sure if it was worth the effort

My new Hurc ESC seems great

Paul
pmacko is offline Find More Posts by pmacko
Last edited by pmacko; Oct 31, 2012 at 05:03 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:38 PM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2003
774 Posts
Ok, Maybe I just don`t get it but are the longest screws that come with the plane used for the landing gear? I just don`t understand the metric sizes.. I just see 3 sizes of "wood" screws. On balancing the plane, my Platt 1/6 waco was balanced just forward (1/8inch) of the bottom wing leading edge and it flew fine. So I would suspect it to be about the same on this version.
skylane42 is offline Find More Posts by skylane42
Last edited by skylane42; Oct 31, 2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:09 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylane42 View Post
Ok, Maybe I just don`t get it but are the longest screws that come with the plane used for the landing gear? I just don`t understand the metric sizes.. I just see 3 sizes of "wood" screws. On balancing the plane, my Platt 1/6 waco was balanced just forward (1/8inch) of the bottom wing leading edge and it flew fine. So I would suspect it to be about the same on this version.
They are for lower wing and tail to fusegage, I tapped the plastic retainers and used button head cap screws in place of all wood screws. I believe tail screws are around 20MM long, have not attached wing yet so not sure of the lenght there landing gear is shotest ones maybe 8MM long. Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:29 PM
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Jun 2004
240 Posts
Looks like Ken was right. I contacted Nitro Planes' support and they just got back with me. The small in line circuit board is a signal amplifier that was added. I guess I will be leaving it in place.

Steve
e_gadgetgeek is offline Find More Posts by e_gadgetgeek
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:49 PM
UAS Pilot/Tech Instructor
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2000
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Contact Steve at killerplanes.com . It's not on their website, but that's where I got mine.
Well sorry, but killerplanes turned out to be completely worthless......

Since Grayson got back to me that they wont have stock until mid December or so, I had to settle ordering from Nitroplanes even though I was hoping I would never have to deal with them ever again. Its not all bad though. Nitro has a 10% storewide discount going on right now and they are not to far away so I should have the kit by Tuesday.

Mike
CryHavoc is online now Find More Posts by CryHavoc
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:35 PM
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Jun 2004
240 Posts
I ordered mine from Nitro Planes after a friend at work had ordered from them. I had mine in a week and most of that time was with UPS. Not sure what issues people have had with them. I didn't have any.

Steve
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:35 PM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
1,029 Posts
I had 4 full battery charges of flying the Waco today,it was great. At one point I saw something come off the plane and flutter to the ground, couldn't figure out what it was even after a couple of low and slow flybys. So, I landed and found out it was the half round foam landing gear screw cover. It came down in tall grass and couldn't find it, I'll have to make another.

Then at the end of the day the battery hatch cover kept coming loose/off. I've got to figure out a better way to secure it.

Also I have found the stabilizer hold down screws backed out and stabs loose. I'm going to go ahead and glue those stabs onto the fuse.
jwellsy is offline Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:51 PM
UAS Pilot/Tech Instructor
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2000
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_gadgetgeek View Post
I ordered mine from Nitro Planes after a friend at work had ordered from them. I had mine in a week and most of that time was with UPS. Not sure what issues people have had with them. I didn't have any.

Steve
I see people ordering from them so I'm hoping things have improved. My problems stemmed from experiences a while back. We'll see.

Mike
CryHavoc is online now Find More Posts by CryHavoc
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:52 AM
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Jun 2004
240 Posts
I hope you have a good experience like I did.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:35 PM
Joined Mar 2005
1,086 Posts
Replaced the ESC, wind died down had 3 good flights. Yes I can see this becoming one of my favorite planes, very smooth easy to fly and land and looks very, very good in the air.
I am thinking about getting another and painting it up.
Very happy, I mean for $129.00, this is out of sight

Ken Smith
Be safe