HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:14 AM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
1,084 Posts
Pherz,

Hadn't been able to get your slow stick off my mind. Just keep thinking of my sorry covering job. What covering did you use? Can you post some still pic of your SS? I think i'll order a wing kit for the first 2013 project and do somthing nice.

Happy New Year All!
Sam
Petrie is offline Find More Posts by Petrie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:56 PM
United States, CT, Stamford
Joined Mar 2011
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santley View Post
Pherz,

Hadn't been able to get your slow stick off my mind. Just keep thinking of my sorry covering job. What covering did you use? Can you post some still pic of your SS? I think i'll order a wing kit for the first 2013 project and do somthing nice.

Happy New Year All!
Sam
I am not sure if I just uploaded the 3 pictures or not. So I will check back later to see if they got uploaded.
On one of the pictures you see my origianl boring design. At first I went with Rondells and Stars. Then I saw a wing design on another plane and thought that I could do that. So, I did it on paper first and then I cut it out of covering material

I used 4 different covering material colors. It was 3 different brands, Parklite, Econocote, and a some Monokote. I tried to keep the overlap as small as possible, about 1/4 inch. The red is the bottom layer and it simply a ribbon of material.

I hope this helps. You made my day!

I am lucky, we have a laser at work, so I cut out the shapes there.
pherz is offline Find More Posts by pherz
Last edited by pherz; Jan 01, 2013 at 02:06 PM. Reason: to add more info
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:49 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,084 Posts
WOW! Lazer cut design on a lazer cut plane! THX
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:28 PM
Joined Mar 2011
169 Posts
If I did not have a laser available this could still be done, but, with more difficulty.

Before I thought of using the laser, I thought of doing a bubble motif. Using drinking glasses as circular templates of different sizes (and many razors). I thought this could be interesting. And the side advantage is when I get a puncture in the covering, I would a have a pre-designed patch kit. With a few colors of scrap material you could make a real cool design.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:58 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pherz View Post
If I did not have a laser available this could still be done, but, with more difficulty.

Before I thought of using the laser, I thought of doing a bubble motif. Using drinking glasses as circular templates of different sizes (and many razors). I thought this could be interesting. And the side advantage is when I get a puncture in the covering, I would a have a pre-designed patch kit. With a few colors of scrap material you could make a real cool design.
I am just about finished building the Millennium R/C Laser.
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:05 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Free Shipping for our new website!

Free Shipping for our new website!

We just launched a new web store. All the issues we had with the old site are in the past. Just go the our main site and click Shop Now! The first 10 customers to purchase $25.00 and over get free shipping.

James
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:14 PM
United States, KS, Rose Hill
Joined Sep 2007
989 Posts
Going to start cutting your own?

L.
Cherokee Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Cherokee Flyer
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:27 PM
Joined Mar 2011
169 Posts
Sending James email

Hello James,

I just was on your flyerc.com website. I could not find an email address on that site to communicate with you. So, I went back to your millennium site and got your email as sales@millenniumrc.com and sent you an email

I am writing to you here because I know you monitor this site. If you do not get that email, let me know where you want it sent.

Thanks, Peter
Old Mar 30, 2013, 09:25 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,084 Posts
James, got my SSX in air after sitting on the shelf for several months. Problem is it is very pitch sensitive. Can't find any of the instructions but I think the CG should be 1 1/2 - 2 " behind main spar. Is this correct? Also, where should the wing be located on the beam?
Old Mar 31, 2013, 03:34 PM
Joined Mar 2011
169 Posts
Quote:
James, got my SSX in air after sitting on the shelf for several months. Problem is it is very pitch sensitive. Can't find any of the instructions but I think the CG should be 1 1/2 - 2 " behind main spar. Is this correct? Also, where should the wing be located on the beam?
My cg is 1/2 inch behind main spar. The plane flies beautifully.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 04:06 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,084 Posts
Thanks I found the instructions on page 107. I moved the wing forward and set the CG to 1/2" and turned the controls down. Its doing great now l didn't believe it would really fly as well inverted as up right. But it does.

I am wanting more motor control at slow speed. My motor will not start until about half throttle. I have a 25 amp speed control. Is control a factor of the cheep controller, the 25 amp controller or the motor size. Would like to be able fly around slow and low.
Last edited by Petrie; Apr 01, 2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old Apr 01, 2013, 09:48 AM
Joined Mar 2011
169 Posts
Quote:
Thanks I found the instructions on page 107. I moved the wing forward and set the CG to 1/2" and turned the controls down. Its doing great now l didn't believe it would really fly as well inverted as up right. But it does.

Started playing with the flaps have you used them?
i have not set up flaps on this plane. How did you set them up? pictures?

i have them on my radian pro
Old Apr 01, 2013, 01:24 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pherz View Post
i have not set up flaps on this plane. How did you set them up? pictures?

i have them on my radian pro
I just used the ailerons as the flap surface and set up flaps on the Dx6i. Cool how you can drop the plane at more than a 45deg angle into the wind. That is one of the reasons I want more slow speed control. With that and a breeze I bet you could land like a helicopter.
Old Apr 02, 2013, 09:41 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,084 Posts
Pherz – thanks you for your answers. Dead forum, I guess we are the only two who fly this plane. It’s a shame because it is a really good flying bird. Must have fallen in the discarded unsupported airplane bin.
Old Apr 02, 2013, 11:42 AM
United States, KS, Rose Hill
Joined Sep 2007
989 Posts
There are three flying at my field. I guess we don't have much to say; to busy flying.

L.
Cherokee Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Cherokee Flyer