HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 11, 2014, 01:11 PM
The figure "9" Specialist
aeronca's Avatar
A Barrier Island in New Jersey, USA
Joined Oct 2003
3,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly View Post
Well, due to rudder servo failure..
Sorry to hear and see that. I've got one similar, but both the upper and lower wings broke clear off. The shame of it all, is that it was hangar accident - DOH!

Ours are both easily fixed, but when equipment failure does it, it hurts more than when you're just being an oaf!

Aeronca
aeronca is offline Find More Posts by aeronca
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2014, 02:21 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
modfly's Avatar
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca View Post
Sorry to hear and see that. I've got one similar, but both the upper and lower wings broke clear off. The shame of it all, is that it was hangar accident - DOH!

Ours are both easily fixed, but when equipment failure does it, it hurts more than when you're just being an oaf!

Aeronca
I hate those hanger accidents! Well, replaced the bad servo, glued the wing back, and replaced the prop and took it back out and it flies just fine.

This one has a BL Fieago inrunner with GWS IPS gearbox with 800 mah lipo.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2014, 03:01 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Buzz's Avatar
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
12,162 Posts
Good to see it repaired. In all my years of flying, I have never had a servo go bad. I shouldn't have said that because now they'll all go bad.

I was looking at the number on my moths and they're all the same... 1307. There must be thousands of 1307's out there.
Buzz is online now Find More Posts by Buzz
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2014, 04:06 PM
Registered User
Ron H's Avatar
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
4,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Good to see it repaired. In all my years of flying, I have never had a servo go bad. I shouldn't have said that because now they'll all go bad.

I was looking at the number on my moths and they're all the same... 1307. There must be thousands of 1307's out there.
This is my nephew's demonstrating the ruggedness of GWS propshttp://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...arageshot2.jpg

He didn't even match the number on the wing to the one on the fuse. He was 13 or 14 at the time.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Last edited by Ron H; Jun 11, 2014 at 04:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:09 AM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Buzz's Avatar
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
12,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
This is my nephew's demonstrating the ruggedness of GWS propshttp://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...arageshot2.jpg

He didn't even match the number on the wing to the one on the fuse. He was 13 or 14 at the time.
LOL.... Man, that's a tough prop!
Buzz is online now Find More Posts by Buzz
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:55 PM
Or current resident
glewis's Avatar
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Good to see it repaired. In all my years of flying, I have never had a servo go bad. I shouldn't have said that because now they'll all go bad.

I was looking at the number on my moths and they're all the same... 1307. There must be thousands of 1307's out there.
I have had only one servo go bad (so far).
I flat wore out the elevator servo in my Moth. It was a GWS Pico servo that was only 10 years old and must have near 1000 flights on it.
Don't you just hate it when they don't build stuff to last?
Model was flying fine right after takeoff when I realized, no pitch control. Flew it around like that for a couple of laps then landed normally but without a flare at touchdown.... I replaced the rudder servo too, it was also the original one from 2002!
Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 01:45 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
modfly's Avatar
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis View Post
I have had only one servo go bad (so far).
I flat wore out the elevator servo in my Moth. It was a GWS Pico servo that was only 10 years old and must have near 1000 flights on it.
Don't you just hate it when they don't build stuff to last?
Model was flying fine right after takeoff when I realized, no pitch control. Flew it around like that for a couple of laps then landed normally but without a flare at touchdown.... I replaced the rudder servo too, it was also the original one from 2002!
Glenn
yea you got your moneys worth out of that one lol.. I have had several servos fail and they have been mostly rudder(yaw)..Had a few pitch servos fail as well...I did have both roll servos fail at once in a micro mustang, still managed to get it down in one piece..pays to have lots of rudder travel


I am going to do a Power (watt) measurement on this bird..I am thinking its around 18 watts @ WOT.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:24 PM
Registered User
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,435 Posts
Why did gws discontinue the pico tiger moth.....anyone know?????
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:38 AM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
modfly's Avatar
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Why did gws discontinue the pico tiger moth.....anyone know?????
Too hard to build from a kit, People don't have time for that. Actually they are a bit of a challenge to someone who has no experience building plane kits. The planes out there now seem to last forever yea?

Mine is 8 years old and still flies like new and I am sure it will last another 8 years or more.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Last edited by modfly; Jun 16, 2014 at 10:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 07:06 AM
Registered User
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,230 Posts
modfly,

Good point re too hard to build. I would amend that to say that the buyer's market has made prices low enough for almost-totally-assembled or genuine RTF models, that the GWS semi-kits aren't so attractive.

GWS seems to have lost the will to compete in the market. That's too bad. I like the Pico Moth and 400 Moth very much, and I also like to use Pico J-3 wings for scratchbuilt fuselages and tails.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:35 AM
Registered User
Pat Daily's Avatar
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,407 Posts
not sure they discontinued them--I just got one from headsuprc.com.
Pat Daily is online now Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:18 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Buzz's Avatar
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
12,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Daily View Post
not sure they discontinued them--I just got one from headsuprc.com.
Agreed. But they are getting hard to find.

Buzz
Buzz is online now Find More Posts by Buzz
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 04:31 PM
Registered User
Bloomfield, IN
Joined Nov 2006
937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRuggiero View Post
modfly,

Good point re too hard to build. I would amend that to say that the buyer's market has made prices low enough for almost-totally-assembled or genuine RTF models, that the GWS semi-kits aren't so attractive.

GWS seems to have lost the will to compete in the market. That's too bad. I like the Pico Moth and 400 Moth very much, and I also like to use Pico J-3 wings for scratchbuilt fuselages and tails.

Jim R.
I guess I am old school. I like the NPS kits. I also like to scratch build using the GWS wings.
degreen60 is offline Find More Posts by degreen60
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2014, 03:07 AM
Registered User
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,703 Posts
Hi Pat & Buzz,

I was told recently that GWS USA or Caliber still carries Pico TM kits, and my boss does NOT intend to discontinue this great bird. But the new batch might take long, fortunately this bird is still carried by your source.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2014, 03:13 AM
Houng-wen Lin
GWS4CEO's Avatar
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis View Post
I have had only one servo go bad (so far).
I flat wore out the elevator servo in my Moth. It was a GWS Pico servo that was only 10 years old and must have near 1000 flights on it.
Don't you just hate it when they don't build stuff to last?
Model was flying fine right after takeoff when I realized, no pitch control. Flew it around like that for a couple of laps then landed normally but without a flare at touchdown.... I replaced the rudder servo too, it was also the original one from 2002!
Glenn
I am gald to see your post of your experience with GWS Pico servos!

Thanks for choice GWS!

By the way, GWS HQ still have some qty of Pico TM kits with IPS or EPD100....
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion GWS Tiger Moth thread - Part 28 Ozprey Parkflyers 2388 Apr 28, 2006 02:10 AM
GWS Tiger Moth story - Part 9 Martin Hunter Parkflyers 547 Jan 01, 2004 08:32 PM
GWS Tiger Moth Story - Part 9 The Enemy Parkflyers 2 Dec 18, 2003 10:21 PM
GWS Tiger Moth Story - Part 8 The Enemy Parkflyers 566 Dec 18, 2003 10:11 PM
GWS Tiger Moth Story - Part 7 The Enemy Parkflyers 521 Dec 05, 2003 12:01 AM