HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:09 PM
Joined Jun 2013
7 Posts
Question
New to planes and not sure what engine to use

I got a House of Balsa FW190A and I'm not sure what kind of engine to use. The webpage for the kit recommends Tee Dee .051-.10 but with them being out of production (and also due to their age) I was advised to get a newer glow engine.

I'm considering this one: http://www.hobbypartz.com/72p-ap061a.html

Which is a .061 engine, right size and whatnot... Was hoping for some advice on what kind of engine to get.

Thanks!
misterspock is offline Find More Posts by misterspock
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:21 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,292 Posts
Cox Tee Dee .049 or .051, is what I recommend, even if they're harder to get. 6X3 prop. That ASP looks heavy, unless you need the nose weight or throttle.

The 1/2 A sized airplanes always do much better when you build them as light as possible. In 1/2A, more power is not necessarily better performance. Ask any Mach none/Pacer flyer.

And I know it's heresy around here, but maybe electric?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338942
madsci_guy is online now Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:41 PM
Joined Jun 2013
7 Posts
It's 1.9 oz, not sure if that's too heavy or not. I'm going to head to a hobbyshop and ask about what to use.

I considered electric but due to shorter flight times I'm going with gas (flying less frequently for longer durations).
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:46 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Sep 2010
218 Posts
What madsci-guy said. The HOB FW-190 (and all the other WW2 fighters in that series) were designed around the Tee Dee .049/.051 and fly very well on that power if they're kept light. You should have no trouble keeping it to around 20 oz. and it'll be a very nice sport model at that weight. I've seen the HOB P-47 flown with a Tee Dee .09 and it was a rocket
Moeregaard is offline Find More Posts by Moeregaard
Old Jun 21, 2013, 06:08 PM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
1,030 Posts
The AP .061 engines are no longer made, but they where only a rather poor copy of the Norvel engines anyway and these are now being made again. The weight of these engines is very competitive and comparable to the cox ones, especially if you run them without the muffler. With the Norvel being a .061 engine you get a lot more power (compared to the cox one) and as they are also throttled you will have a much better plane compared to the cox engine that runs at full throttle until it runs out of fuel.

Aim for a weigth around 15oz and it will fly great. With modern radios there is no reason for an 1/2a plane to weight 20oz...
surfer_kris is offline Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Old Jun 21, 2013, 06:39 PM
Joined Jun 2013
7 Posts
Surfer_kris so I should look for a Norvel engine?

The whole "run at max power til you're out of fuel" thing is why I decided against getting a cox engine.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:23 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,242 Posts
House of Balsa Models were wayyy ! too heavy.. even back then.
TD.O9's were needed for decent performance.
Perhaps this one? http://www.hobbypartz.com/72p-12a.html would haul that balsa log around adequately?
Yes.. ersatz copies but the few I've seen, run pretty darned well.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jun 21, 2013, 09:53 PM
Joined Jun 2013
7 Posts
That 12 a asp 2-stroke looks too large... The sizes recommended for the FW190A is .051-.1.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:29 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,890 Posts
misterspock
"Bare" is right, all HOB 1/2A kits were very heavily build but still flew with a good TD .049/.051 at 22 Oz with the flight pack of the period. I have a HOB FW-190 which I intended to use a Cox TD .051 and a friend of mine had a HOB P-51 with a G-Mark .061 which flew Ok but rather fast due to the high wing loading. The FW-190 has a short nose moment and could use the weight of a .12 to help balance the rather heavy fuse behind the CG. The ASP .12 throttle very well and can swing a 7" prop to clear the radial cowl better. Because much lighter radios are available now it would be easier to lower the total weight bellow 20 Oz. The ASP .061 could be used but the quality is inferior to the others larger ASP engines, a Norvel .074 would be an ideal compromise but they cost more than ASP!
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Jun 22, 2013, 01:23 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
1,030 Posts
Judging from the wingspan and area, the Norvel .074 would be a nice match. It is very lightweight and has good power and throttling abilities. The added cost is relatively small if one looks at all the other costs of a complete plane.

The asp .12 engine will be too big/heavy, although it is a nice engine.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:40 AM
Joined Jun 2013
7 Posts
I'm consulting others as well and I may get the .074 Norvel as it's within the size range and has enough power. Will update after getting more opinions. Thanks guys.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 03:45 PM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,581 Posts
an OS .10 LA would probably weigh less than that .12 and be cheaper than a norvel .074.

just an overall well mannered engine and not a crapshoot like the ASP....you get what you pay for.
ZAGNUT is online now Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Jun 22, 2013, 04:56 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,540 Posts
All the Norvels are good, the AP .06 is hard to get, the AP .09 is ok and a rear exhaust if you need that. (The AP .15 is the same weight as the .09 but is more powerful, it is really a .135 they both have a restrictive muffler that needs to be opened up)Hobbypartz doesn't seem to stock glow motors any more, almost like they gave up on them. HobbyKing may have something. The OS LA .10 is ok too, but like all OS stuff is a bit of extra money. My TT .10 is a bit slower than the LA .10, and the TT .07 is pretty good, but 1 out of my three is a dud. QC or just worn out? I don't know.
aspeed is online now Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Jun 22, 2013, 05:59 PM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,581 Posts
the OS .10 is only $3 more than the TT .07 at tower. the norvel .074 is way more that either.
ZAGNUT is online now Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Jun 22, 2013, 06:34 PM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
My TT .10 is a bit slower than the LA .10, and the TT .07 is pretty good, but 1 out of my three is a dud. QC or just worn out? I don't know.
My TT.07 was prone to overheating and I manage ruin one that way...
With a new piston and cylinder, it came right back up in terms power.

One thing to consider is the engine weight, the Norvel .074 is very lightweight compared to the power output, while an OS .10 with the stock muffler is about twice as heavy (!).