Invest in some of this stuff.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1827097
herrmill is online now Find More Posts by herrmill
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:58 PM
United Kingdom, England, Exeter
Joined Feb 2012
8 Posts
Is there any type of foam I should use. just regular stuff or special shaping foam?
dan_d_diver is offline Find More Posts by dan_d_diver
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:36 PM
can you land on that ?
Scottish Highlands
Joined Jan 2005
3,313 Posts
Sheffield Insulations ( there is a branch near you, check Yellow Pages ) The standard blue foam used in the construction and building trade is the stuff you want. It absorbs less than 1% moisture. Easy to work, cuts with saw, hot wire and sands well. Won`t resist polyester unless with a barrier but OK with epoxy. Comes in various thicknesses in 8x4ft sheets (or metric equivalent). Oh yes, try to get some Corrosion-X for dipping your radio and electronic gear, from USA.
arrow5 is offline Find More Posts by arrow5
Last edited by arrow5; Feb 22, 2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:46 PM
Bloomington, IL
Joined Apr 2004
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_d_diver View Post
Is there any type of foam I should use. just regular stuff or special shaping foam?
You basically want closed cell foam. Most DIY stores will have some variant. Such as the pink "Foamular", or the blue foam. I believe these types are called extruded polystyrene foams.

Open cell foam will gradually get waterlogged. I would avoid the white bead foam that can also be found in hardware stores.
eRaptor is offline Find More Posts by eRaptor
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:42 AM
Leiden,Netherlands,Europe
Joined May 2010
5 Posts
Last summer I did some fpv-boating, just for fun. I made an airboat/swampboat because I had the parts for it. I'll share my experience..

The waves are difficult to compensate, the boat tilts in all directions, including up and down. Place the camera's in the center to minimize that. Wind and currents make the boat drift, causing rotation. When sailing the motor makes noise, could be a problem for wildlife approach. (airboat sounds like airplane, bad choice)
The low point of view causes the water to mirror/reflect. Think about backlight compensation when choosing the spot to shoot from, the sun also reflects on the water and hull (paint it black!). All this considered, the idea of a barge as platform seems logical.

Pointing the camera would need a video signal transmitted to the operator...

Quick compulation of the footage from the airboat, forgot to mute sound...
Hope it's helpfull...

Airboatcompulation (2 min 15 sec)
Michio is offline Find More Posts by Michio