HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:39 AM
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2011
294 Posts
Discussion
Best Stabilisation System for Fixed wing A/C

Hey Guys,

I am currently in the process of building an electric powered UAV style aircraft that was designed by myself from scratch. This aircraft is being built for testing purposes however it is not quite conventional. The wings are forward swept.... and anhedral, and the tail is a Y-Tail. Naturally I don't want the thing to crash first flight and I also want it to fly well, being anhedral and forward swept this makes the aircraft very unstable so I am wondering which Stabilisation system have people had good experience with? and which one should I use? I am thinking about the Eagle Tree 2D/3D System but I thought a second opinion wouldn't hurt.

Cheers,

Matt
1stfoot is online now Find More Posts by 1stfoot
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:20 AM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
Welp, the only thing I've had hands-on with is the Detrum GY48V head hold gyro for ailerons, and it worked quite well for that purpose. I've got an Orange 3 Axis Stabilizer from Hobby King I've yet to try in the air, but bench tests look promising. They've also got several others for a reasonable price, although I suppose as with most things you get what you pay for, but they've got a few. There's Eagle Tree's 3 Axis that's a little more expensive (whenever it's gonna be in stock again). They all have their good/bad points...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:28 AM
United States, NC, Smithfield
Joined Jul 2012
467 Posts
Bluelight technologies BL-3GRC is very good, extremely customizable and a bit cheaper than a guardian. http://www.bluelight-tech.com/
Brush Hog is online now Find More Posts by Brush Hog
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:04 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,767 Posts
I thought about asking why design a possibly unstable UAV plane and have to fit a stabalisation system on it ?, but that may be seen as rude

But thinking about it, UAV's generally have some form of stabalisation and GPS system on them anyway.

Have you checked what the UAV forum guys are using ?

Sorry I'm just nosey, but I just have to ask , what made you decide on forward sweep, and anhedral, for a UAV platform. ?
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
I thought about asking why design a possibly unstable UAV plane and have to fit a stabalisation system on it ?, but that may be seen as rude

But thinking about it, UAV's generally have some form of stabalisation and GPS system on them anyway.

Have you checked what the UAV forum guys are using ?

Sorry I'm just nosey, but I just have to ask , what made you decide on forward sweep, and anhedral, for a UAV platform. ?
I'd like to know as well. Might learn something, as my instinct says to make a UAV platform stable by design. But what do I know..
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:59 PM
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2011
294 Posts
In basic terms I sketched up a design and it looked cool so I wanted to build it. But in practical terms it is designed to be a combat UAV usually combat aircraft are highly manoeuvrable hence my decision to stick with the forward sweep and anhedral. Never thought of asking in the UAV forum so thanks for that suggestion. I was going to just buy the guardian but since it isn't in stock thought I would ask around.

Cheers,

Matt
1stfoot is online now Find More Posts by 1stfoot