SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:05 PM
Joined Nov 2012
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsquared32 View Post
My problem was a pretty easy fix once I figured out what the actual problem was. This is what my problem was. The bolt that attaches the main shaft to the gears was sheared.
well I really wish that I could say my problem is as easy as yours. My gear screw was fully intact. as I spin up motor, only the main gear spins. I disassembled the gears and pulled out the gears, pulled them apart. inspected and everything looked they way it should. reinstalled everything, spun it up and no change. does anyone have any other ideas other than a OWB failure?

If I turn the motor by hand and everything works like normal. Is it supposed to do that? only when u have the high torque of the motor would you be able to tell if its working right?

Im lost here cause I dont really know what parts to order.
Adrnln Jnke is offline Find More Posts by Adrnln Jnke
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:32 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,638 Posts
Check to see that the pinion gear is properly meshed with the main gear. They should be fully meshed except for a small/tiny space between the gears.
Run a piece of tissue paper between the gears. It should move through without tearing.
clearprop88 is offline Find More Posts by clearprop88
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:39 PM
Joined Nov 2012
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
Check to see that the pinion gear is properly meshed with the main gear. They should be fully meshed except for a small/tiny space between the gears.
Run a piece of tissue paper between the gears. It should move through without tearing.
yup did that, check found okay.

but if the spacing wasnt right the main (top) gear was able to spin the head should spin as well correct?
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:30 PM
Joined Feb 2013
10 Posts
After reading through all 28 pages of this thread, I think I'll be ordering up the V450D03, but wanted the internet population to confirm based on my experience.

I learned the basics of RC heli flight on a Honey Bee King 2 about 5 years ago. After lots of broken pieces (no training gear or sim to learn on), I ended up with with a 200 sized coax that allowed me to master orientation and get comfortable with nose-in flight.

Recently I was at my friend's place who had a cheap 3ch that got me hooked again. I ordered up a 4ch coax and 4ch FP micro. Got bored with the coax almost immediately but have been having fun with the FP.

I'm looking for something that won't require much adjustment out of the box (I'm used to some after the HBK2), and will be good for outdoor sport flying. I don't plan on much acrobatics.

So, any reason to pay the extra $100 for the Devo8s over the Devo7? Any other "intermediate" 6ch FBL helicopters I should look at in the $300 price range?

Thanks.
TommyB33 is offline Find More Posts by TommyB33
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:21 PM
Joined Nov 2012
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrnln Jnke View Post
well I really wish that I could say my problem is as easy as yours. My gear screw was fully intact. as I spin up motor, only the main gear spins. I disassembled the gears and pulled out the gears, pulled them apart. inspected and everything looked they way it should. reinstalled everything, spun it up and no change. does anyone have any other ideas other than a OWB failure?

If I turn the motor by hand and everything works like normal. Is it supposed to do that? only when u have the high torque of the motor would you be able to tell if its working right?

Im lost here cause I dont really know what parts to order.
Alright, Problem solved!!!!
Earlier I was replugging my ESC from a banana to a XT60. My friend who is an electrician reconnected the motor to the ESC unknowingly reversing the polarity from the esc to the motor making it run in reverse. So when I powered it up and when to spin the head the motor ran in reverse free-wheeling the gears and thus me thinking it had broken.

I think I can blame all this on my inexperience and lesson learned. Dont let your friends reconnect you stuff.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:52 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,638 Posts
A couple of other things to check before you fly it.

Be sure the blades are installed with the leading edges going clockwise, and the tail blades leading edges going CCW.
It's a common mistake we all make.
clearprop88 is offline Find More Posts by clearprop88
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:55 PM
United States, GA, Hoschton
Joined Feb 2013
15 Posts
Wow. Guess I will file that one in the memory bank for when it happens to me. I was trying to pin point the problem by going through the process of elimination but I would not of come up with that scenario. Glad you found the issue.
Jsquared32 is offline Find More Posts by Jsquared32
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:05 PM
devIAtion..one TX to bind them
Canada, ON, Georgina
Joined Aug 2011
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyB33 View Post
After reading through all 28 pages of this thread, I think I'll be ordering up the V450D03, but wanted the internet population to confirm based on my experience.

I learned the basics of RC heli flight on a Honey Bee King 2 about 5 years ago. After lots of broken pieces (no training gear or sim to learn on), I ended up with with a 200 sized coax that allowed me to master orientation and get comfortable with nose-in flight.

Recently I was at my friend's place who had a cheap 3ch that got me hooked again. I ordered up a 4ch coax and 4ch FP micro. Got bored with the coax almost immediately but have been having fun with the FP.

I'm looking for something that won't require much adjustment out of the box (I'm used to some after the HBK2), and will be good for outdoor sport flying. I don't plan on much acrobatics.

So, any reason to pay the extra $100 for the Devo8s over the Devo7? Any other "intermediate" 6ch FBL helicopters I should look at in the $300 price range?

Thanks.
If you can find a 450 size RTF heli in the $300 price range let me know...

When it comes to radios, some where down the line you may want to try out the custom firmware which will let you fly walkera and blade heli's with no hardware mods. To do that you will want a devo 6,8,10 or 12. The 7e is low power and the 7 is not supported by custom firmware because (mostly) of the lack of usb port. I have the 8 and 12. You might not ever want a 12, but if you like the touch screen go for the 8, if you like the lcd go for the 10. As for the money... spend it now, once, rather than wanting to get a better radio later. The 7 is not a bad radio, but you may want more out of it later... If you get a 12, you may never need another radio again.

The v450d03 flies great out of the box. It comes completely built. You can literally charge the battery and fly it. BUT do a little reading first about setting your pitch to 0 at mid stick. (You can fly the way walkera does it, but most guys change it)

I have a blade 300x and I am kicking myself for it.. I could have almost bought 2 v450d03's for that price.
Hexperience is offline Find More Posts by Hexperience
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:40 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltzmd View Post
thanks xermalk. found it in the manual its under model settings. apparently the output power on the devo7 can be adjusted. mine only has up to +20. what does that mean? the range is -5 to +20
I have a Devo 7 and believe that +20 is max. Just to let you know,. I have range tested mine to about 300 yds with no problems. Make sure you use the fixed ID and you should be good. Jim
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:23 PM
Philippines, Central Luzon, City of San Fernando
Joined Aug 2012
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo45cn View Post
I have a Devo 7 and believe that +20 is max. Just to let you know,. I have range tested mine to about 300 yds with no problems. Make sure you use the fixed ID and you should be good. Jim
hi Jimbo i found out my transmitter was only set to +5 power output (my fault did not do a range check before i flew). i changed it to +20 and range checked it this morning and there was no problem with control response. lesson learned always check before flying.
voltzmd is offline Find More Posts by voltzmd
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:09 AM
USA, CA, El Segundo
Joined Jan 2011
121 Posts
At TommyB33, Get the DEVO 8s, you will appreciate the graphical programming interface. Not to mention telemetry module already installed.
para5063 is offline Find More Posts by para5063
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:19 AM
Joined Feb 2013
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexperience View Post
If you can find a 450 size RTF heli in the $300 price range let me know...

When it comes to radios, some where down the line you may want to try out the custom firmware which will let you fly walkera and blade heli's with no hardware mods. To do that you will want a devo 6,8,10 or 12. The 7e is low power and the 7 is not supported by custom firmware because (mostly) of the lack of usb port. I have the 8 and 12. You might not ever want a 12, but if you like the touch screen go for the 8, if you like the lcd go for the 10. As for the money... spend it now, once, rather than wanting to get a better radio later. The 7 is not a bad radio, but you may want more out of it later... If you get a 12, you may never need another radio again.

The v450d03 flies great out of the box. It comes completely built. You can literally charge the battery and fly it. BUT do a little reading first about setting your pitch to 0 at mid stick. (You can fly the way walkera does it, but most guys change it)

I have a blade 300x and I am kicking myself for it.. I could have almost bought 2 v450d03's for that price.
I'll look for a deal on a package with the 8s, but here is the 450 w/Devo7 for $300... am I missing something? Is this not a complete RTF setup?

http://www.rc711.com/shop/24g-walker...te-p-6928.html
TommyB33 is offline Find More Posts by TommyB33
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:34 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyB33 View Post
I'll look for a deal on a package with the 8s, but here is the 450 w/Devo7 for $300... am I missing something? Is this not a complete RTF setup?

http://www.rc711.com/shop/24g-walker...te-p-6928.html
The V450D03 comes bundled with the Devo 7 to make the price as low as possible. This is definitely a RTF package. The Devo 7 is basically regarded as a throwaway transmitter by Walkera. You are expected to upgrade to a different transmitter as you progress.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:52 AM
Head in the clouds
United States, NC, Gastonia
Joined Jan 2012
1,076 Posts
Witch of these batteries will fit on the V450D03?

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...Lipo_Pack.html

113mm L x 34mm H x 25mm W

138mm L x 43mm H x 27mm W

140mm L x 44mm H x 19mm W
nascar1929 is offline Find More Posts by nascar1929
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:29 AM
los angeles,ca
Joined May 2010
2,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar1929 View Post
Witch of these batteries will fit on the V450D03?

113mm L x 34mm H x 25mm W

138mm L x 43mm H x 27mm W

140mm L x 44mm H x 19mm W
The stock battery is 117mm anything longer would not fit. The turnigy 2200mah 35C are good and you could try zippy compact 2450mah 35c 3S batteries & nano-tech 2200mah 45C 3S are also good. May want to order from USA if possible because its about chinese new year time an there will be a long delay
vronny is offline Find More Posts by vronny