SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:18 PM
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Aug 2011
864 Posts
Soooo ...has anyone flown it off the winch?
xrx1113 is online now Find More Posts by xrx1113
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:27 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,551 Posts
If they need a tester/reviewer I would be glad to offer my services. Have my own winch, OneWinch, Histart, slope sites and large sailplane field for our sailplane club.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:50 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
I hope to test my motorized version tonight.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:24 PM
United States, NM, Rio Rancho
Joined Sep 2010
57 Posts
I hope to have mine ready to test this weekend. I have busy with my means to an end. This afternoon is my first day to start my build. I am not a seasoned glider guy, I have been flying my Fox glider for the past 6 months so I will have a good comparison from an entry level system to the next step up. I am trying real hard not to look at any system that is above the Mystique. I'll post any pics as I progress on the build.
mertz is offline Find More Posts by mertz
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:47 PM
Lift is good
Olympic Penninsula, WA
Joined Dec 2001
758 Posts
[QUOTE=aeajr;23025417]The Mystique is going to fill a big void in the sailplane market. That would be entry level full house sailpalnes over 2 meters. There just aren't many out here under $500. To thier cusotmers the Mystique is a high end plane, but to the sailpalne market, this is entry level stuff. We will see how good it is as the reports come in.

.So is there really going to be that much difference in performance between an entry level Mystique and a high end glider like the Supra? Would the difference only be felt by an experienced pilot? I do know that Paul Naton just won an ALES contest with a Radian (and not the Pro version by the way) competing against high end craft.
Rayven is offline Find More Posts by Rayven
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined Sep 2010
57 Posts
[QUOTE=Rayven;23028030]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post

.So is there really going to be that much difference in performance between an entry level Mystique and a high end glider like the Supra? Would the difference only be felt by an experienced pilot? I do know that Paul Naton just won an ALES contest with a Radian (and not the Pro version by the way) competing against high end craft.
I have been flying for about 5 years, I know that maybe still learning compared to alot of more experienced pilots out there but I am rather confident in my ability to give a good "Fly it around the park" point of view in comparison to a entry level glider. I may not know the intricacies of how to set up the programing and when to use what wing set up but I will share what I learn and I will try to get some video.

I feel I am exactly who HH had in mind when they started this plane. The price point is small compared to the high end gliders but I was not going to get one of those any way. I think if you are trying to encourage newbies to progress with their skills this is a good way to do it.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:09 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,551 Posts
[QUOTE=Rayven;23028030]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
The Mystique is going to fill a big void in the sailplane market. That would be entry level full house sailpalnes over 2 meters. There just aren't many out here under $500. To thier cusotmers the Mystique is a high end plane, but to the sailpalne market, this is entry level stuff. We will see how good it is as the reports come in.

Hard to say. Until someone starts providing reports it is all conjecture and specs discussions. And, of course we would need to compare an e-Mystique to an e-Supra and a Mystique to a Supra.

We have the same discussions about Radians and AVAs. An E-AVA is at least 5 times the price of a Radian. But is it 5 times better at thermal soaring? No! So from a value point of view, the Radian is the winner. From a performance point of view the AVA would win.

A showroom Taurus vs. a NASCAR Taurus. The showroom Taurus will probably do 120 mph around the track at Daytona. The Nascar Taurus costs at least 10 times as much but does not go 10 times faster around the track. In a race the showroom Taurus would be a distant last, but the showroom Taurus will still get you to the store and back every day.

Probalby similar for a Mystique and a Supra.

We are talking value vs. performance.

And, in the final analysis, it is the pilot as much as the plane that matters. Not only in flying skills and reading the air, but in balance, trimming and radio set-up skills. These may matter more than the glider itself. That is why Paul wins with a Radian over pilots with "better planes".
Last edited by aeajr; Oct 17, 2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Sep 2010
57 Posts
[QUOTE=aeajr;23030107]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayven View Post

And, in the final analysis, it is the pilot as much as the plane that matters. [/B] Not only in flying skills and reading the air, but in balance, trimming and radio set-up skills. These may matter more than the glider itself. That is why Paul wins with a Radian over pilots with "better planes".
I agree with all your points!
Last edited by mertz; Oct 18, 2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:08 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
My ESC was bad, but I got some tosses. It floats like a Radian - with no camber.

Unbelieveable that something that heavy floats like that.

With two servos per wing, I have a LOT of adjusting to do

Weather here is rain tomorrow, so I won't be able to motor with it before Saturday. Yes, I love it.

Rick
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:19 PM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Jul 2010
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
My ESC was bad, but I got some tosses. It floats like a Radian - with no camber.

Unbelieveable that something that heavy floats like that.

With two servos per wing, I have a LOT of adjusting to do

Weather here is rain tomorrow, so I won't be able to motor with it before Saturday. Yes, I love it.

Rick
Rick, It's good news for me, since I just bought it on HH site this afternoon before hearing any feedback from the owner. You are the first! Thanks,
xiaoyu80305 is offline Find More Posts by xiaoyu80305
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:20 PM
Australia, QLD, Beaudesert
Joined Jul 2008
594 Posts
Congrats Rick, looking forward to hearing more.
From another prospective buyer!
Neal
neale is offline Find More Posts by neale
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:19 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
If you have never built one of these before, be advised that the instructions leave a lot to be desired. I've never seen an airplane from HH that was so poorly documented. On the other hand, you will love it once you figure out how it goes together. Still working on the "glue stick" issue

I was surprised how far aft the C/G is located, but it works.

The other issue is that when you mount the stab, the fit through the bellcrank is tight and it will result in binding at first. I thought I had a a bad servo until I saw that the bellcrank was binding.

Rick
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:57 AM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
357 Posts
Quote:
If you have never built one of these before, be advised that the instructions leave a lot to be desired. I've never seen an airplane from HH that was so poorly documented. On the other hand, you will love it once you figure out how it goes together. Still working on the "glue stick" issue

I was surprised how far aft the C/G is located, but it works.

The other issue is that when you mount the stab, the fit through the bellcrank is tight and it will result in binding at first. I thought I had a a bad servo until I saw that the bellcrank was binding.

Rick

Hi Rick

How'd you go with the pushrods for the ailerons and flaps? Are they really difficult to put in or is there a trick to it?

Thanks for your time...

Tim
timography is offline Find More Posts by timography
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:34 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,551 Posts
Rick,

You are now the mentor for those who follow you.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:25 AM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,544 Posts
Quote:
Still working on the "glue stick" issue

Rick
I use a glue stick on the two rods for the slip-on elevators on my 3 meter machines. Adds enough friction to prevent slippage in flight.

Piper J3
Piper J3 is offline Find More Posts by Piper J3