Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 07, 2012, 08:56 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,707 Posts
Poll
Futaba vs Spektrum "Round 1"

Im going to start this thread just because in almost every thread of a particular model always endup in a debate between both brands.

Let us know what you think wich one is the best for you and what have being your experience, pros and cons.

So far im with futaba since i was a kid in my old rc cars. When i grew up and start on planes and helis no spektrum was known my first air transmitter was a big square box low band not digital no computer. Couple of year later i got my first 6exap fm high band. Then few years later my first 7c. Them this year my 8fg Super. I love my futaba. Never any issue with 4 generation of futabas in my hand.

Last year a got a good deal on a dx7 used but new. In just few month that dx7 looks and feel like crap just no better than a toy tx. The screen start to fog imside the sticks spring feels like cracking. The silver plastic lost the color, I just
Bought the dx7 to have fun with some bnf micros.

I have see so many lost of signal in all of the clubs i do fly. Unbinded issue too much recall in such a small time lapse. Also here in rcgroup a lots of thread with people loosing planes and when you ask they are on spektrum that scare me. I end up selling my dx7 and just stay with my 8fg.

we can also discuse aftermarket rx's like FrSky and Corona. ("OrangeRX" we know they are FrSky at least the futaba ones)

Every time some one lost a signal on spektrum with OrangeRX is hobbyking fault but i if you look carefully is the same with oem spektrum rx, hobbyking fault again???. Or just a Spektrum glitch

Its obvius im a futaba guy. But fell free to post your feeling on both brands.

What you think guys.
FUTABA OR SPEKTRUM
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Last edited by DaxFX; Aug 07, 2012 at 09:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:20 PM
7.62x51
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jul 2010
699 Posts
ElIntocable is offline Find More Posts by ElIntocable
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:36 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
2,061 Posts
Spektrum till i die!!
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:00 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,342 Posts
Boy this ought to get interesting. I bought a Spketrum shortly after the 6Xi's came out. I was hooked on the 2.4 and the plane matching. Then came all of the problems with the re-booting. I sent the radio back along with 4 receivers for the upgrades. Okay it took a month and a half but I was excited to be back in the air. Then I started landing with blinking lights after every flight so I called and they sold me the capacitor. Seemed like a flakey fix but I wanted back in the air. Still blinking after that. I talked with Mike Mayberry at the Toledo show and he said I should send it back again which I did and 3 weeks later I received it all back and again blinking lights. I had enough and bought my first Futaba which was a 7C. I now have a 8FG and I will never ever get another Spektrum again. I am really glad for those that have them and are happy with them as I am all about having fun in the hobby (I have been flying since 1971) But I need peace of mind. I did not get that with my one and only Spektrum and the lip service that I got from all of my phone calls and even in person with Mike was a farse. At the time I really don't believe that they really knew what the problem was. (Kind of like Castle Cremations today)

You asked and thats my story
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:15 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
6,181 Posts
Futaba 9c is on 72 and 2.4 as backup to my 9503. I fly almost exclusively DSM2.
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:17 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,850 Posts
FUTABA!!!!!!!! 6yrs and going strong not even so much as hint of a problem.......9cap and 12fga
one thing I think you need to distinguish is Spectrum the brand or spectrum the technology as in JR. JR radios have for the most part been very good where as Spektrum the brand has been very unreliable, and even though JR has been very high quality and reliable they have just recently abandoned spectrum the technology and are going with their own full hopping 2.4 wifi band technology as Futaba has always had, also recently even Specktrum has gone full hopping as well. so you know who the leader is by watching who everyone follows and right now it is Futaba......and thats just talking about the 2.4 link to your reciever, can we talk about function based programming.... ya baby I can never go back to channel based programming ever again, once you taste function based programming you will be ruined as I am with the sweet taste of flexibility. Futaba all the way. the next follow the leader game will be function based programming
can you tell I like my 12fg

I think its time for this one again
Futaba and JR v2 (1 min 19 sec)
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Last edited by jcdfrd; Aug 07, 2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:31 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,707 Posts
Yeah !! With the function based programing you can do whatever you want. You can throtle with a dial or slider. You can use a side slider as a trim in fact any knob slider trim button can be change for any channel. Good for a maiden have a elevator trim just under the finger so you will not need to let the stick.

Man i love my 8fg. Now with 14ch i can turn my coffemaker and open the garage door from my car jijijijiji LOL
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:23 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,070 Posts
Futaba = Guys who fly planks that start the conversation with... "Back before Christopher Columbus came to the New World, I walked for 3 miles dodging arrows and zombies with my 2 channel Futaba to fly my rubber band plane... so I stuck with Futaba. And I just like to fly scale and toot around the park!"

Spektrum = ballers who fly 3D planes, fast Funjets, and heli's

Anyone else who claims otherwise is just BSing.

Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:55 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,070 Posts
By the way, I'm totally just clowning around. I pulled the Futaba and Spektrum user profiles completely out of my keyster.

I'd rather discuss Ginger vs. Maryann!
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:37 AM
3d flippin
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Jan 2012
1,857 Posts
6 months ago when i started flying i bought a spectrum dx6i and loved it untill it crashed 2 of my planes from there on i wanted a futaba in my long wait of saving i heard of one of my flying buddys plane go full down elevator and crash it it was a 70 aj slick with the fantasy blue scheme another crash a 68" velox 3dhs and 2 more occurrence with basic foam planes and also a 500 size helicopter just the other day

i know have a job working at a hobby shop and can indulge in the finer things in life and fly knowing i am safe futaba all the way not to mention the features and how fast the response is futaba ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The_MonsterMash is offline Find More Posts by The_MonsterMash
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:42 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
Boy this ought to get interesting. I bought a Spketrum shortly after the 6Xi's came out. I was hooked on the 2.4 and the plane matching. Then came all of the problems with the re-booting. I sent the radio back along with 4 receivers for the upgrades. Okay it took a month and a half but I was excited to be back in the air. Then I started landing with blinking lights after every flight so I called and they sold me the capacitor. Seemed like a flakey fix but I wanted back in the air. Still blinking after that. I talked with Mike Mayberry at the Toledo show and he said I should send it back again which I did and 3 weeks later I received it all back and again blinking lights. I had enough and bought my first Futaba which was a 7C. I now have a 8FG and I will never ever get another Spektrum again. I am really glad for those that have them and are happy with them as I am all about having fun in the hobby (I have been flying since 1971) But I need peace of mind. I did not get that with my one and only Spektrum and the lip service that I got from all of my phone calls and even in person with Mike was a farse. At the time I really don't believe that they really knew what the problem was. (Kind of like Castle Cremations today)

I thought Mike Mayberry was Hitec?

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:02 AM
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post

MikE Mayberry is HITEC not SPECTRUM!!???
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:26 AM
**** 37130 ****
Joined Aug 2007
1,781 Posts
It was Spektrum that got me back into flying after a 25 year break to raise a family. Idly browsing at work one day I came across the new Spektrum 2.4GHz radios and thought thatís for me. Sometime later I decided to take the plunge and get back into the hobby, so a visit to the LHS to tryout the DX6 was in order. When I got my hands on the long coveted DX6, I was somewhat underwhelmed with the feel and build quality, having previously owned JR, that I walked out of the shop empty handed.
A short while later the Futaba 6EX 2.4GHz arrived and after trying it out in the shop I bought one. After rejoining my original club I found I was in a minority of one as all the other 2.4GHz users had Specktrum and the new DX7 was popular. At first I thought I had screwed-up but after witnessing many unexplained crashes and a few flyaways I started to feel a little bit smug. During this time I received many suspicious looks, comments and one all out accusation of shooting someone down with my evil Futaba.
The 6EX was consigned to flight sim duties with the acquisition of a 7C, which itself has now been sidelined by my 8FG. I am still very much in the minority at my club with Spektrum and now JR dominating the scene but with fewer crashes. I am more than content with my single receivers that I take for granted will just work. As for after sales service, apart from one recall on the 6EX I have no idea.
RobC(UK) is offline Find More Posts by RobC(UK)
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:36 AM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,661 Posts
My Futaba 9c has been and still is a totally bomb-proof for the last 5 years+ lately with a TM8 Fasst module. The longevity of Futaba radios go to prove their build quality. They're not trying to sell you a new Tx every year because you need one. The big F has been around since the 1940s, producing hobby and industrial R/C gear since the 1960s. No one claims their perfect but they come pretty close.

A.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:35 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
I thought Mike Mayberry was Hitec?

Si.
Yea maybe you are right, that was a few years back, then I don't remember who I spoke with at their Toledo booth, all I remember was I spoke with the first person and he sensed my frustration and had me wait on someone higher up.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR