SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 03, 2014, 07:42 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,824 Posts
exellent work! i always thought this model looked more like a fj4 than a f86....it makes a great looking fury fj3 too! wouldnt take much to convert one to a fj4...a bird ive always wanted to build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsairJock View Post
Hi all, just getting on to this thread, so don't know if anything at all has been posted similar to this. I've had my F-86 for awhile now, LOVE IT! Definitely the micro with the most FUN. But, I've always preferred Navy aircraft, so recently decided to 'convert' mine to an FJ Fury. As some of you may know, the F-86 design owes it's origins to the FJ Fury project, which was requested by the U.S. Navy. The originally design did not have swept wings because the Navy was concerned about how well it would handle carrier landings and takeoffs, SO the U.S.A.F requested a version with swept wings and the F-86 was born. Eventually, the Navy also ordered swept wing versions and operated them from carriers in the mid to late '50s.
I determined that if I could find 1/32 scale decals (for plastic/ non-flying models), they would work very well on this aircraft. However, I found out that altho there are several 1/32 scale F-86 kits (and decals) available, they are NO FJ Fury kits (and/ or decals) available. SO, I elected to do a Blue Angels theme, even tho the Blue Angels never used FJ Furys in their shows. The decals used are actually designed for use on 1/32 scale F4 Phantom II, which WERE used by the Blue Angels before they converted to A4s.

For my conversion, I ordered a new airframe and had to rip apart the old one for the electronics. I left out the rudder servo because I felt it is really pretty useless in this model. The servo weighed about 2 grams. The paint and decals added about 7 grams, but with the elimination of the rudder servo net gain is only 5 grams, up to 57 grams without the battery.

I also added clear glossy Scotch tape to leading edges of wings and tail surfaces, to add strength, and clear coated entire model with "Pledge FUTURE"
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2014, 07:43 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2006
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersmens View Post
look at the battery. It has two cables with connectors. My E-flite 180 and 200 mAh batteries only have one cable with a connectors.

What's the second for? Is it what you said?
The white one is for balance charging. This is a two cell battery. It is important to keep the charge of the two cells balanced for good performance and battery life. It plugs into the included charger. Read the manual.
trroadster is online now Find More Posts by trroadster
Old Nov 03, 2014, 07:46 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2006
513 Posts
Quote:
So. This plane is tempting. But I see it's a little dated. I've never seen a battery with two connectors. (Then again i haven't been in the hobby for a long time) So I would like to know what all I would have to do to be able to fly this plane with my DX5e. Any help is appreciated.
see post #2737
Old Nov 03, 2014, 09:15 PM
Joined Oct 2014
55 Posts
Thanks. Also, why don't my E-flite 2S batts have a balancing connector? How do I balance them? I couldn't find that out in my chargers manual. (Venom charger that charges almost every battery)

Also, found that reciever. Anyone know the comfortable range of it? its the OrangeRx R415 DSM2 Compatible 4Ch Micro 2.4Ghz Receiver

I don't wanna fly too far and lose it. :/
Endersmens is offline Find More Posts by Endersmens
Old Nov 03, 2014, 09:23 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2006
513 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. Also, why don't my E-flite 2S batts have a balancing connector? How do I balance them? I couldn't find that out in my chargers manual. (Venom charger that charges almost every battery)

Also, found that reciever. Anyone know the comfortable range of it? its the OrangeRx R415 DSM2 Compatible 4Ch Micro 2.4Ghz Receiver

I don't wanna fly too far and lose it. :/
It will be out of sight before it is out of range
Old Nov 03, 2014, 09:23 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2006
513 Posts
[QUOTE=Endersmens;29853887]Thanks. Also, why don't my E-flite 2S batts have a balancing connector? How do I balance them? I couldn't find that out in my chargers manual. (Venom charger that charges almost every battery)

You will have to ask e-flite.
Old Nov 03, 2014, 09:35 PM
Joined Oct 2014
55 Posts
Thanks. You've been lots of help. This is looking like quite the deal. Cheap =, yet fun.
Endersmens is offline Find More Posts by Endersmens
Old Nov 06, 2014, 04:09 PM
Germany, SH, Lägerdorf
Joined Sep 2014
24 Posts
Thank you for great 185 pages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaluf View Post
Hi guys,
I thought I'd mention that the free update that was just released for RealFlight 6 has this bird in it. So, if you can't wait for the brown truck to arrive, allow RealFlight to do the update and go fly!
Steve
Can anyone recommend a GNU/Linux simulator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
I would like to see what would happen if an apple product or other similar hi tech device that people line up for have release date issues the way things in this hobby do. People would be furious. If you want people to be lined up for a product you want a solid release date. Why not just give a release date 1 month from when they believe they will recieve their shipment instead of trying to time it to where they get the shipment and send it out the next day. Giving them plenty of time to get stock up. I will get one when it comes out but from now on i will not go by release dates given by anyone in this hobby until they get it figured out.
No bad wishes. But announced dates should be withdrawn. In mid Feb 2012 quite some people already had their plane. More a matter of communication.
Since mid Sep I haven't been able to get an already released plane into the air. I wonder what's worse. I could have more severe problems but I don't think I should reward Revell with a purchase of an Aircore e. g. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
I received mine also,, I better open the box and check it.. But good thing my box looks perfect on the outside..
Not perfect but better that the old wing looks..,, why would they lay the wing in the box first then pile all the other stuff on top of it and then put airbags on top of the pile and close up the box??
Failed big time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
hit the LVC because my timer didn't start on the TX.
Hope you found the error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Linear servos are a PITA; rotary are so much better.
Some people stripped their rotary servos. I like what works. There should be a service for 25€ to replace both linear servos on BNF brick. But ending seems to be better than mending.
This plane is well engineered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
My #2 Sabre with it's 250 battery does balance in the middle of the circle...
Seems to be a good start for the maiden. Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
Over 30 hk 5320 servos in my stash and not a single one has had an issue.....
Sounds satisfying regarding the servos. But I won't get a credit card or ever deal again with PP (lost money) just to be able to do business with HK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
You can get get some of the tuck out by going rearward with the CG...But as you know this will only get you so far...With my larger BVM turbine and ducted fan F-86's we used a gyro on the rudder and this really took Dutch Roll and nose tucking out of the equation...A model this small is going to be difficult to get a separate gyro to work...I think that AS3X would be a superior control system with its built-in gyros...I can see many hybrid planes in the future using AS3X bricks in models like this GP F-86...Don't get me wrong---The GP F-86 is a fine plane in its own right, but advanced systems like AS3X will make-em better/more enjoyable!!!...AS3X will also make difficult planes like an ME-262 possible for the masses to fly...I would like to see companies like GP keep micro EDF planes coming. Kevin
AS3X doesn't work too well for me in my UM P-40. When the rolls look like a nose turning helicopter it looks awkward. And the MIG fell out of the loops in the Brian's RC Corner video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisecat View Post
Does anyone have any tricks for getting the pushrods out of the control horns? They both seem very stiff and brittle. Afraid if I try to move a pushrod to a different hole I'll destroy the whole thing....
Just my question. I don't want to buy a hole kit if the horn breaks. I fear it isn't available here anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
So, combine tired with electrics and you get magic smoke....
Luckily the board, although smelling real bad, managed to survive the onslaught and still functions - what a trooper! Unfortunately, the new 250mah lipo I inadvertently hooked up in reverse didn't. It slipped my mind I had reversed the power leads so the rxers micro deans positive was exposed.
Sometimes we learn our lessons the hard way and often we don't even get it.. I'm now quite invested in these micro deans stuff and the danger of short circuit is my only concern. I'm going to look into it later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
I dont understand why ppl complain about stability and the sabre.
Its not hard to fly
Mine can loop over and over and over again, stall and then recover easily.
All edfs will stall; they have a high wing loading ppl!
If your up high enough and it starts to stall; push the nose down. I am seriously wondering if ppl dont get this. Edfs are not known for vertical performance let alone a 30mm edf. It you pull back hard and climb it will stall. Fly within the aircrafts limits.
Sorry if this sounds like i am retaliating from previous post; which isnt the case as gyros are cool. Its funny though; as my buddies umx mig stalled bad on its maiden.
I am just honestly perplexed at how ppl complain about F86; mine has had nose smashed and ripped off and still flies awesome. Only reason it crashed is either i was pushing it too hard, dum thumbs, or as of recently doing low (1 foot off the deck) wot fly bys in high winds and having a strong gust push the nose down - once again; my fault.
Food for thought!
These are the characteristics of the Sabre I want to fly. I hope I can keep it in good shape for a long time.

I wonder who these Team Futaba guys around are but here are some words for anybody who can pass these to TX manufacturers.
I wasn't happy with my DX4e that I got with my UM T-28 and decided to get a computer radio. I want to fly a Nine Eagles RTB or an Robbe or Align helicopter in the future. I own a Walkera DEVO 8S with deviationtx firmware now instead of a Futaba or Spektrum radio. I wonder why there is a need for just an other FHSS protocol like SLT. Keep the TXes modular and maybe license the firmware blobs.
There were campaigns like "no more AOL CDs" and I wouuld like to add "no more AA batteries powered 1s chargers", "no more RTF transmitters" and "no more single protocol transmitters". My environmental footprint is huge already,

Happy flying with your Sabres.
Schugy is online now Find More Posts by Schugy
Last edited by Schugy; Nov 06, 2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 02:37 AM
Germany, SH, Lägerdorf
Joined Sep 2014
24 Posts
Maiden was great yesterday. After a warm up flight with my UM P-40 I had 6 flights with my Sabre. The Anylink2 works as expected. Handlaunch into the wind is easy. I saw a yt video by GermanAngel. Maybe the 15 mph winds even helped in this regard. I still need to trim it mechanically, because it the elevator needs 10.0 down and the ailerons need 8.0 right trim on a -100/+100 scale. 2 of my 1st ever belly landings were quite hard but there isn't any damage. This thing hardly comes down on landings. I don't use any nose weight with my 250 mAh stock batteries. My replacement Sabre now uses steel rods. Serial balance charging (6S) takes about 80 minutes. After flight all batteries were @ 3,8V. Thank you for your valuable information.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 11:23 AM
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,199 Posts
Quote:
The E-Flite 2S battery you are talking about does have a balance connector! It does NOT have a power connector! That's the red connector in your picture of the GP battery. E-Flite actually uses the balance connector also as a power connector. They don't have to provide two connectors on a pack like normal lipos.

The way you balance these, if you are not using the specific E-Flite charger, you will need a para board or para cable. Note that these will break out the balance / charge aspects of the pack and allow you to use a regular charger.

Cable:
http://www.buddyrc.com/parallel-char...-umx-130x.html

Board:
http://www.buddyrc.com/micro-paraboard-ph3.html
MK is offline Find More Posts by MK
Old Nov 27, 2014, 11:24 AM
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,199 Posts
BTW, I'm considering one of these babies. Tower's Black Friday is free shipping on over $50 and I have a $10 coupon. Bottom link is $60 delivered. I already have an AnyLink on my Futaba 8FG.
MK is offline Find More Posts by MK
Old Nov 27, 2014, 01:27 PM
Germany, SH, Lägerdorf
Joined Sep 2014
24 Posts
serial charging

I bought an Ansmann Multi Balance Board XHP 155000020 + 3 Deans Micro to Deans Female Ultra adapters GPMA3126 only to find out that the Hype Multi Charge Adapter 2-3s XH 082-6032 already does the trick through the batteries' balance connector.

I have 30 flights on my sabre now and I need more down elevator for inverted loops.
Last edited by Schugy; Nov 28, 2014 at 05:18 PM.