HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:40 AM
ledpole
United States, NJ, West Deptford
Joined Jan 2012
55 Posts
new to Radian Pro & Antenna Placement

I've checked out the Radian Pro site and didn't see a answer to my question. I purchased a used RPro without a reciever. I'm currently flying a 6ch Orange with satellite, I've run the satellite out the back of the servo bay & taped down the center of the fuse. I just got a AR600 and have no idea where the longer antenna goes.I know they run perpendicular to each other & the short one will go up & down. As far as the longer??? I don't think just wrapping it around the sevo bay is the answer and don't see running it to the front over the ESC and battery as the answer. I could be wrong on both but dont know where to run it and could use some help. I did go to LHS and they dont want to open a box to let me see how the antenna is placed. I understand since I didn't buy it from them. Have only had a few flights but can see changing the spinner and some way to protect the aileron & flap servos happening soon.
Thanks for any suggestions & help
ledpole is offline Find More Posts by ledpole
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:52 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allelectrik View Post
First glider flight ever last Sunday. Flew the RP stock except for McMaster cf tube in the wing and a quarter taped to the tail. 1300 mah battery, AR800 Rx.

Little nervous at first but ended the flight with a great landing and feeling confident. I found the RP relaxing to fly and graceful to watch. Looking forward to many more flights. A great addition to the hangar which includes everything from a V1 Sbach um (waiting for the AS3X V2) to the SlowStick.

Replaced the AR800 with a AR600. The 6 chnl takes up much less space. Did a range check at over 90 paces.

I fly most of my models at half-throttle most of the time and have never had a ESC failure...not even in 90 degree plus weather.
That's all fine until you don't have much airflow over the ESC, like in a slow climbing Radian Pro, for example.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:11 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledpole View Post
I purchased a used RPro without a reciever. I'm currently flying a 6ch Orange with satellite, I've run the satellite out the back of the servo bay & taped down the centre of the fuse. I just got a AR600 and have no idea where the longer antenna goes.

If i were you id keep the Orange in there with the Satt. You have the satt taped to the bottom of the fuse?
you may want to fish it under the batt bay and tape it with wire pointing up on the inside wall of the front! as more then likely your RX wire is pointing forward or aft.
So you well want to have your satt wire pointing up or down!

I would not put a AR600 in something that can easily reach over 1000ft

I did go to LHS and they don't want to open a box to let me see how the antenna is placed. I understand since I didn't buy it from them.
Your LHS sucks if thats the case...mines not the greatest, but they do let me look in the box. But i guess you would have to un-tape the plane to look inside..mine would prob not let me do that either lol
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:49 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Hi,
I have and AR600 in my RP.
The antenna position was checked by one of our club members who is an instructor and owns an LHS.

I'll take a photo later today and post it for your convenience.

BTW, an LHS with that kind of attitude would earn a wide boycott from all clubs in our area...

Brgds,
Danny
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:16 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_l View Post
Hi,
I have and AR600 in my RP.
The antenna position was checked by one of our club members who is an instructor and owns an LHS.

I'll take a photo later today and post it for your convenience.

BTW, an LHS with that kind of attitude would earn a wide boycott from all clubs in our area...

Brgds,
Danny
Well, he said it was bought used so they didn't see the sale from it so I can see part of their point. I guess it depends on how good a customer you are previously or if you just showed up out of the blue. And sometimes it's the worker you deal with and their day they've been having
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:21 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
Well, he said it was bought used so they didn't see the sale from it so I can see part of their point. I guess it depends on how good a customer you are previously or if you just showed up out of the blue. And sometimes it's the worker you deal with and their day they've been having
It's not just a case of popping open the box either. The fuse is held in by tie wraps that would need to be cut. Personally I wouldn't do it either, not when the internet can probably yield the answer.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gerry__; Oct 03, 2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:37 AM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Maybe things are done differently at your part of the world.
Over here shop owners and staff are thankfully more helpful and understand that by being nice to a person they are gaining a potential client who will continue supporting them.

I don't think that a knowleadgeable store owner would need to open a box, they would know what the RP setup looks like and be able to explain how to position the RX and antennae. (that goes for all 4 shops in a 15 mile radius from my home and a few that are over 100 miles with whom I've done business)

As for opening a box being a problem for a later sale, again I've often see boxes being opened so that an interested client can see what the plane he is asking about looks like in the box and once a sale is concluded each box is opened and checked to ensure that all is in and in good condition.

Three of these shops also offer help to maiden the planes (once assembled by the client), free of charge.

I'll remember to appreciate the service even more now.

Brgds,

Danny
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:03 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,006 Posts
Shop owners can't be expected to know the intimate details of all the models they sell.

Maybe you do things differently to me, but I try not to put people to too much bother on my account.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:14 AM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
That is where the difference is.
They are not expected to do it and everyone knows and understand that they are giving a service well beyond their obligation.

Maybe that's why they enjoy such a good support.

BTW, I was not talking only about my experiences but that of many other people.

Anyhow, we need to stop this debate as we are drifting off topic.
this is the RP forum not the LHS customer service forum.

My offer to post a phot of the Antennae positions of the AR600 still stands .

Brgds,
Danny
Last edited by Danny_l; Oct 03, 2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:28 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,006 Posts
For all you know there would not have been a net gain to the shop for the hassle, just one opened box that another customer would want a discount on. Even the OP accepts this much.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:34 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledpole View Post
I've checked out the Radian Pro site and didn't see a answer to my question. I purchased a used RPro without a reciever. I'm currently flying a 6ch Orange with satellite, I've run the satellite out the back of the servo bay & taped down the center of the fuse. I just got a AR600 and have no idea where the longer antenna goes.I know they run perpendicular to each other & the short one will go up & down. As far as the longer??? I don't think just wrapping it around the sevo bay is the answer and don't see running it to the front over the ESC and battery as the answer. I could be wrong on both but dont know where to run it and could use some help. I did go to LHS and they dont want to open a box to let me see how the antenna is placed. I understand since I didn't buy it from them. Have only had a few flights but can see changing the spinner and some way to protect the aileron & flap servos happening soon.
Thanks for any suggestions & help
The location of the antenna is not critical. The goal is to get them as far apart as is convenient and away from anyting that might block both of them at once. Place the ends, that last 30 mm, so they are about 90 degrees to each other.

A common place is to have the one near the recever going parallel to the fuse. The long one goes up to the top of the cockpit and is taped to the foam , below the canopy. so that it is 90 degrees to the fuselage, left to right.

This puts one above and one below the battery. One pointing front to back and one pointing left to right.

You can see it in this photo of the Radian:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/radian-rtf-PKZ4700

Edit: oops, that links does not go to the photo.

Works fine!
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Oct 03, 2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:42 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
For all you know there would not have been a net gain to the shop for the hassle, just one opened box that another customer would want a discount on. Even the OP accepts this much.
yeah, I am always a bit hesitant to buy an open boxed item that could have been handled by too many people, one of them giving a fuselage a squeeze that causes a hidden former to pop loose that the LHS is unaware of. I would also have an issue with the fuselage being split open for inspection.

My LHS owner is a plane person but he barely has time to fly what he built 10 years ago let alone something recent. He probably has 50-100 different models at any one time and I don't expect him to have intimate knowledge of each one. Maybe your selection is less?
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:57 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
yeah, I am always a bit hesitant to buy an open boxed item that could have been handled by too many people, one of them giving a fuselage a squeeze that causes a hidden former to pop loose that the LHS is unaware of. I would also have an issue with the fuselage being split open for inspection.

My LHS owner is a plane person but he barely has time to fly what he built 10 years ago let alone something recent. He probably has 50-100 different models at any one time and I don't expect him to have intimate knowledge of each one. Maybe your selection is less?
Yeah, I know, but some bloke on the internet says we're both wrong.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:02 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,006 Posts

*Here's the picture linked to above.

*No boxes were harmed/opened to bring you this information.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:07 AM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
[QUOTE]Yeah, I know, but some bloke on the internet says we're both wrong.
[/QUOTE]

Gerry Gerry, you never can stop it with the insults and sarcasm can you?

I thought that only two days ago you asked not to be insulted and I did mention that we should all respect other people's opinions.

This may come as a surprise, but having posted thousands of posts and maybe flown for so many years that you probably tought the brothers Wright a thing or two does not make you a better person nor does it give you ownership of this forum.

I'll ask this in a plain manner, can you not help it? surely you are capable of posting without insulting and bellitling any person who disagrees with you?

BTW, you are also "Some bloke on the internet" in case you have not noticed. (all of us are)

Back to the original issue, neither of us is wrong. (not everything in life is either right or wrong)
from your posts all that happens is that over here we have what seems to be better customer care at the LHS.

BTW, thanks for posting the photo, you saved me the work. funny enough for two people who often disagree we have the antennae locate pretty much the same.
Last edited by Danny_l; Oct 03, 2012 at 09:14 AM.