And where?
1moparman1 is online now Find More Posts by 1moparman1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2013, 09:41 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,268 Posts
Shawn I would love to see and film this fly and would love to offer to let you fly it at oakdale.
I'm having such a busy few weeks... that I don't have a free weekend until mid Nov.
if you don't get it flown before then let me know and I'll meet you up at oakdale
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Oct 14, 2013, 02:12 PM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,018 Posts
Thanks Ron; would be nice to have you around to help. I was hoping to have it ready for Lodi Jets; but may not. I might try to sneak in a flight over at Woodland.

I think most guys frown on doing maidens at an event. Either way I will bring it out as eye-candy.
sbritton is offline Find More Posts by sbritton
Old Nov 01, 2013, 08:32 PM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,018 Posts
Well we did the maiden today at the Lodi jet event. It was a very quiet day with only a handful of pilots so the CD was nice enough to let me do the maiden in the morning.

Everything was checked and looked good so I did some high-speed taxi passes and it felt good so I turned her loose.

She pulled into the air very nicely and need just a little trim. On the first down wind pass the motor cut out on me and I had to call a dead-stick. I struggled to get it back, turned off the throttle, turned back on and got intermittent power.

It was enough to get it back to the runway, but it was floating a bit too much and eventually ran out of airspeed. It bounced pretty well, but no major damage. One retract trunion was broken, the nose Robart strut broke and some minor paint scratches on the bottom.

The wing tanks took the brunt and just need some minor patching.

When I got to the plane the ESC was beeping 5 times which indicated a radio issue. So I need to pull the logs to see what happened. I still had control of the plane thanks to running a separate battery system.

But...overall it flew very very nice considering I had no power and a thousand feet to get back to the runway.
Old Nov 01, 2013, 09:32 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,264 Posts
...glad you got it back
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Nov 02, 2013, 12:25 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,653 Posts
Wow! Glad it is ok. Now get it fixed so it wont shut off and get us a video
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Nov 02, 2013, 12:49 AM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent View Post
Wow! Glad it is ok. Now get it fixed so it wont shut off and get us a video
OMG...it was a close one "fer shizzle". Tanks are all fixed, new trunion ready just need to order a new nose strut.
Old Nov 02, 2013, 09:19 AM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
8,041 Posts
Did you figure out what happened to the radio?
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Nov 03, 2013, 09:02 AM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,018 Posts
I think what is happening is all of the servo wires (including the throttle) are nicely bundled and wrapped from the front of the plane to the rear where the ESC is.

So my guess is there is some interference with all of the signal wires so close to each other. So my plan is to replace the ESC (just in case) and separate the wires. Specifically the ESC wire to run the other side of the fuse as anything else.

I also have some ferrite ring magnets that I can use, but don't have any experience with them so not sure if they can/should be used.

Castle has a new ESC with a cooling fan that looks like it may do the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruff View Post
Did you figure out what happened to the radio?
Bob
Old Nov 03, 2013, 09:43 AM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,735 Posts
Sorry for your loss but 2.4 should be immune from this sort of interference.
If your figure it out Would you please post your results.
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Last edited by Robert Belluomini; Nov 03, 2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old Nov 03, 2013, 09:58 AM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,018 Posts
Thanks, but the plane is fine. It's a tough SOB.

I will be calling Castle on Monday but figure it has to be interference of some sort.

The issue wasn't the radio signal to the RX...but rather the signal from the RX to the ESC. I could still fly the plane, but had intermittent access to throttle; basically a dead-stick landing with a 14lb jet.

The five-beeps the ESC was giving says: 5 Beeps - Poor Radio Signal (Signal from your receiver is corrupt or non-existent, check transmitter and receiver)

Seeing the throttle stick works fine on every other plane and while this was one being testing on the ground it had to be something related to being in the air with all of the servos moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini View Post
Sorry for your loss but 2.4 should be immune from this sort of interference.
If your figure it out Would you please post your results.
Old Nov 04, 2013, 11:33 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,868 Posts
Quote:
...The five-beeps the ESC was giving says: 5 Beeps - Poor Radio Signal (Signal from your receiver is corrupt or non-existent, check transmitter and receiver)

Seeing the throttle stick works fine on every other plane and while this was one being testing on the ground it had to be something related to being in the air with all of the servos moving.
I had this happen with an electric retract but the thing would ONLY do it while WOT so takes offs were always hairy.

Got it down on the ground and did a flight test with plane on a stand and the nose against the door to hold it and for some reason the e-tract was causing a brown out... don't know why WOT made a difference
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2013, 11:45 AM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
I had this happen with an electric retract but the thing would ONLY do it while WOT so takes offs were always hairy.

Got it down on the ground and did a flight test with plane on a stand and the nose against the door to hold it and for some reason the e-tract was causing a brown out... don't know why WOT made a difference
Same deal...I was WOT on the takeoff...good info.
Old Nov 05, 2013, 10:30 AM
United States, CA, Chino Hills
Joined Jan 2011
1,296 Posts
What firmware were you using?

Check that then let us know.
jefffassbinder is offline Find More Posts by jefffassbinder
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Align Multicopter Seminars