HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2013, 04:34 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,954 Posts
Discussion
Orange 610: the satellites may work

There have been a number of claims that the satellite receivers for the Orange 610 receivers don't actually do anything useful. While it seems to be agreed that the satellites are functional and do work with the 7 and 9-channel Orange DSM2 receivers, it is claimed is that they don't contribute anything to the reliability of the signal on the 610. The tests that have been used generally involve hiding the main receiver unit inside some type of RF shield (aluminum foil, cooking pans, microwave ovens). The satellite on the outside of the shield should then be sufficient to provide a solid link at reasonable range.

Before going on, I must explain that the purpose of the second receiver is NOT to increase absolute range but to improve the reliability of the link at normal range by filling in for the main receiver when antenna orientation, shadowing, multipath signals, etc. seriously reduce signal strength. There's no reason the satellite receiver has to have the same range as the main receiver to be useful, as long as it's functional at normal range. So we are not looking for increased range, but an ability on the part of the satellite to do the job at normal range if the main unit gets a poor signal.

My approach was very simple. I bound the Orange 610 with satellite attached to my JR X9303 DSM2 transmitter. The combination gave the normal well over 30 paces range with reduced power (button pushed) and had been flown extensively without problems. I don't bother testing much beyond 35-40 paces, as experience over six years has shown that any receiver that gives a solid 30 paces will have ample range for normal flying.

Then I removed (unsoldered) the antenna from the main receiver. And I unplugged the satellite. I now got 10 paces range with the button pushed, roughly 25% of what I had with the antenna in place.

Now I plugged in the satellite and immediately got about 30 paces range with the button pushed. It was only just 30 and getting glitchy, so was significantly less than the normal range of the main receiver. But the important thing was that it was in the zone where normal transmitter power gives ample range. And it clearly made a big difference to the range of the combination.

Conclusion: At least for this example, the 610 receiver can make use of the satellite to improve reliability through signal diversity. Though the satellite range is somewhat inferior to that of the main receiver, it's still good enough to serve as a pretty good backup when the signal to the main receiver gets seriously reduced.

I'm looking for input on this.

EDIT: Changed the title of the thread to reflect uncertainty!
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Mar 27, 2013 at 02:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2013, 09:17 PM
Head full of foam
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Jan 2013
324 Posts
But does that really help?

In a situation where the frame has shielded the signal from the main RX, you'd probably already be out a ways. If you're already in a fringe area for the main RX, your tests indicate that the satelite RX would be of no help then.

Right?
RuralFPV is offline Find More Posts by RuralFPV
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:56 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,954 Posts
No, that's not the situation where the satellite is most often needed. Remember that the absolute range of these receivers is generally measured in kilometers -- well beyond visual. The problems can happen just a couple of hundred metres away, when you get a combination such as adversely aligned Tx and Rx antennas, plus shadowing by the battery, that causes the main receiver to lose signal. At that point, the satellite, with different antenna alignment and location, should kick in and save the day.

As I said, this is not about increasing absolute range but about improving the reliability at moderate range. And unless you are flying a very big model and have very good eyesight or are engaged in FPV, all flying is at moderate range with today's equipment, even the cheap stuff.

The Orange receivers are noted for their sensitivity, often claimed to be greater than many Spektrum receivers. But that's not what matters. You don't hear many accounts on the forum of models that lost control at extreme range. Rather, people tell of how the model was flying at normal range and just stopped responding. That's what the satellite is supposed to prevent.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:05 AM
glen innes australia
Joined May 2001
224 Posts
Interesting, the tests on the dozen or so 610's I did showed not one to make any use of the Satellite.
Others have reported similar findings.
The 610, 7 channel and the satellite all use the same cypress transceiver chip and a quarter wave antenna. All of them should demonstrate roughly the same rf signal strength and minimum received signal capability.
My tests showed no distinct range difference on the 7 channel whether using the rx antenna for reception or the satellite (as expected).
regards
Bob Comerford
robertc is offline Find More Posts by robertc
Old Mar 27, 2013, 08:04 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,689 Posts
Maybe they got the firmware working after some time. Since the 6100 and 6200 share the same layout, mybe they failed stealing the right firmware from the 6200
Mukenukem is online now Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Mar 27, 2013, 02:20 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem View Post
Maybe they got the firmware working after some time. Since the 6100 and 6200 share the same layout, mybe they failed stealing the right firmware from the 6200
That's a possibility, I guess. None of this is very reassuring. I think I'll change the title of the thread to "the satellites may work"!
Old Mar 29, 2013, 01:13 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Jun 2007
341 Posts
Orange 610 satellites may work

The real test would be to hook up a Spektrum Flight Log...Fly the model with the
satellite receiver hooked up...Then read the results
Then fly the model without the satellite receiver and compare the results..

Codimasta
AMA 11269
Codimasta is online now Find More Posts by Codimasta
Old Mar 29, 2013, 02:14 AM
Deutschland, Hessen, LA
Joined Jan 2009
1,212 Posts
The Orange clone RXs has no dataport and no logging function. Therefore is the datalog Spektrum Flight Log viewer useless for the clones.
Satellit on a Orange six, this video shown that the sat port is not proper working.
Test of satellite diversity function on Orange 6-channel receiver (1 min 48 sec)
Kambalunga is online now Find More Posts by Kambalunga