SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:55 PM
United States, GA, Dallas
Joined Sep 2012
24 Posts
Discussion
Ailien Aircraft Hornet!!! 1st build for me!

So I just received my first kit to build! I chose a Alien Aircraft "Hornet"! I actually built a rubberband powered kit 30 years ago when I was 12 and had a blast building it,only problem was I put the main wing on backwards and when I launched off our two story house in Chicago it flew straight out about 10 ft. and straight down about 20ft. with a sudden stop at the bottom! I have been flying for a few months now. My first plane was a 3 channel HZ Cub and then a Trojan T-28 so I figure it's time to try again!

http://www.alienaircraft.com/k107.htm

After I got my work area set up and got the kit opened I had a couple questions so I figured I would call Alien Aircraft because I wanted to tell them thank you for the clean kit and fast shipping and ended up talking to Tom who was very helpful and very kind in answering my questions and seemed like a great guy right off!
So I just wanted to say hey and I look forward to using this section of the forum in this and future builds! If this one comes together I believe I will name her "Redemption"!
ejimbo4 is offline Find More Posts by ejimbo4
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:09 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
First congrats on your first build ,second it looks like a nice plane . Iam sighned up for your build I like the stearman he sells and the 310 twin also . joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Last edited by cracksmeup; Oct 18, 2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:49 PM
United States, MI, Marquette
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Grats and good luck on the build. I was thinking about the blinker for an indoor flyer (indoor football stadium) they look like fun building kits
Taget is offline Find More Posts by Taget
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:39 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,320 Posts
I built the Blinker several months ago and still haven't gotten a chance to maiden it. Hoping for this weekend. I think it's going to fly great. It was a fun build with quality on par with Mountain Models. I'd like to build the Cessna 310 next.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:55 PM
United States, NC, Burlington
Joined May 2012
76 Posts
subscribed...I am think of this kit myself..
dmbaerry is offline Find More Posts by dmbaerry
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Sep 2012
24 Posts
All right! So I got a slow start and only have a couple pieces glued but I have a question.....I have got my fin and stabilizer pieces glued and sanded and I am supposed to cut my hinge slots. Tom from Alien Aircraft said that is probably the hardest part of the whole kit....anyone have any tips? Am I correct that the hinges only go on one side?

Also I have to share my build room with our cat who has free roam and there is really no way to keep her out of this room so this is what I came up with to keep her out of my wood pile and off my build!Taped up a couple sturdy boxes and cut the flat bottom out and I just place over what I am working on.Now she just lays on top of the box and no harm done!

Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:43 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejimbo4 View Post
All right! So I got a slow start and only have a couple pieces glued but I have a question.....I have got my fin and stabilizer pieces glued and sanded and I am supposed to cut my hinge slots. Tom from Alien Aircraft said that is probably the hardest part of the whole kit....anyone have any tips? Am I correct that the hinges only go on one side?
No the hinges go in the center of the surface. Use a new sharp hobby blade and carefully plunge it into the wood.

You can practice on some scraps first. And hinging is after covering.

Another option is to use hinge tape very easy.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by pda4you; Oct 21, 2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Sep 2012
24 Posts
LOL! Gotchya! I was gonna do it on one side but that makes sense......I will practice on scraps first! Thank you!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:42 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,320 Posts
Here is a site to maybe look through for tips in addition to what is available here. This is the best organized site I've seen for R/C tips and tricks. He usually has good pictures to supplement written info on how to perform a task for beginners. Take a look here: Airfield Models

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:50 PM
Joined Sep 2012
24 Posts
Looks good! Thank you I will do some reading!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:17 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
When i do ca hinges i take a sharp crayon and put a line in the middle of the hinge ,this does two things it helps you line it up in the center of both parts and two the crayon wont let ca in that spot for a great free moving hinge after it all drys . After your plane is covered and ready to hinge i line up the hinge on one side then put a couple small pins in it so it wont slide in any more then i slide the other part on and use thin ca lightly on both sides top and bottom. After its dryed i give it a couple tugs to check i got every thing and then its time for the control rods. Remember that thin ca is runny and i hold parts so ca goes down hill kinda like plumbing and it wont run all over your new covering job .lol Good luck. joe
Last edited by cracksmeup; Oct 22, 2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:59 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Don't underestimate your plain old packing tape option. It works really well too!

I use it on march larger and MUCH more expensive full house gliders too. You will need to narrow the tape before use however - a 1cm wide strip works really well and it seals the gap (that helps with other things too!).

The best is - if you can use tape you can do it! Again all this after covering.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Sep 2012
24 Posts
So I got the fuselage built last night! Two things I found out......Thin CA is every bit as runny as everyone said it was(Shoulda got the applicator tips that I put back because I thought I wouldn't need them ) And alcohol consumption while kit building can lead to parts being glued in upside down All in all it was fairly simple and the only problem I have is all the spots where the CA ran wild on me......will those sand out or affect covering?

Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:06 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
It will sand off of ply with a little work but its harder to get it off of balsa because its harder than the balsa and the balsa will sand off first. You can put tape on the balsa that you dont want to sand off or i just use tight bond 2 glue for most of my gluing ,it drys slower but you wont to sand as much and get a better finish in the end. I have not bought any CA in 5 years or so and i dont miss it at all,i use epoxy in small amounts for landing gear mounts and motor firewalls /wing mounts but every thing else is tight bond . It soeks into the wood better and after dryed its lighter and way better to sand plus a stronger joint . There are many builders that like ca just because its fast but this is not a race and if i wanted fast i would buy a arf. BTW you could have used a little thicker ca on the fuse and then held it together with rubber bands till dry but i do the same thing if i was using tight bond 2. joe
Last edited by cracksmeup; Oct 23, 2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:13 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejimbo4 View Post
All in all it was fairly simple and the only problem I have is all the spots where the CA ran wild on me......will those sand out or affect covering?
Sadly they don't sand well as cured CA is very hard. Just use a block or you will get peaks and valleys in the soft balsa vs the hardended CA areas of balsa. Just do your best and it will be just fine. The tips do help but really practice on being frugal with the CA.
RCG Plus Member