SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 25, 2011, 04:03 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3 Posts
Discussion
Newbie looking at Syma s107g or s110g, which oen to buy?

Hi, I've been reviewing the 3 channel Syma's and impressed by the s107g reputation, and availability of parts. However, the s110g looks pretty nice, too, but haven't seen too much about reliability over time and availability of parts. I know care must be taken with battery usage and charging. I also saw info on this site about UDI brand, but it seems parts are harder to find? What are peoples opinions about a good entry level 3 channel under $50? Should I look at other Syma's, like more realistic looking s108, 109, or 111? Are they as reliable and parts available?

Thanks!

Paul
sweetp01569 is offline Find More Posts by sweetp01569
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2011, 04:19 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,743 Posts
As an entry level 3ch helicopter toy, the performance and value of the Syma S107G is second to none. If you like realistic scaled models, the S108 and S111 are close seconds.

I would rank the S109 slightly lower because it has difficulty flying forward, relative to the others; and because its landing gears are so spread out, you need a bigger surface to land and take off. But it is one of the most stable helicopter I have ever flown.

The S110G is a smaller breed altogether. It's about 1/3 shorter. Because of its small size, it comes with a smaller battery also. The flight time is about the same as the others, but the charging time is less. It's just a cute little bird to buzz around indoor.

If you have a $50 budget, you could easily buy 2 of these. For easy upkeeping and maintenance, get a pair of identical twins. For variety get two different ones and see the difference for yourself.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:45 PM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
I would agree that S110-scale helis fit a different "need." The S107 is a better first heli for most people unless they are confined to a rather small room.
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:24 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
54 Posts
About the s110g...

I totally agree with the fact that the s110g is a totally cool
little heli to enjoy as a collector item. It is very small and very
cool. But lets face it, it doesn't fly the same as other regular
size 3 channels helicopters and someone should at least own
a regular size one to start with. I 'm not sure if your following
me here... I believe someone should already fly other helicopters
before getting to the s110g. I don't know what your budget is but,
if you get both, you'll understand what I mean.
DannyKopter is offline Find More Posts by DannyKopter
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:15 AM
Joined Oct 2011
3 Posts
Thnaks for the advice! I will put the S107 on my xmas list for wife to get me. The only RC copter I have owned was a mosquito purchased for about $80 from radio shack a few years ago. I was immediately disappointed when I first took off and realized I had little control over that heli, as it sort of swayed back and forth and lost trim during the flight, etc. The S107 finally looks like a copter I can control and land on things that I want to land on.

Perhaps I'll graduate to a 4 channel someday, but the S107 will definitely fill the need for now. I am expecting I'll need to keep my 4 year old son away from it, though. What kind of help would be appropriate for him, so that I can keep him away from the S107, which I am sure he would love to get his hands on once I start flying? A pocket copter, perhaps, or some UFO type device that essenatially just goes up and down?

Thanks again!
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:12 AM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
I believe that almost all of these devices are labeled 14 and up because of multiple hazards involved. One people forget is related to battery charging failures which can lead to fires.

See http://www.towerhobbies.com/help/ama_lipo/index.html

More importantly though, those blades and related parts whip around fast and can shatter on a crash. Probably the biggest issue is eye injury. Will a kid know to never put the heli near his face?

People often talk about handing these to 4 year olds here and I just cringe.
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
Last edited by SubtleT; Oct 28, 2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:08 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,743 Posts
Oh, at 1/4 of the price, these S017s are such an improvement over your old RS model! Let's celebrate Christmas in October!

Um, I think it would be best not to fly it when your kid is around. Just wait until he goes to bed. Actually, I don't think anyone from age 2 to 92 could resist a S107.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:28 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3 Posts
Thanks again. Good advice. I'll keep the young one away!
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:32 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
I have just finished uploading the last of these three videos which will show you the helis mentioned in this post, namely S107, S108G and S111G

The S107 - The Classic
Syma S107 (6 min 0 sec)

The S108G - The Cobra
Syma S108G Cobra (4 min 33 sec)

The S111G - Coastguard
Syma S111G Coastguard (6 min 31 sec)
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Dec 06, 2011, 10:59 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,122 Posts
Hey Scotsoft, if you are still watching this thread, may I ask what your opinion is on the biggest difference in flight characteristics between the S107g and the S108g?

I like the scale looks better, tho it seems the S107g has it in manueverability?
If only so slightly? Or if there is a difference, is it so little as to not matter much.

1 is going to be a Christmas present from the wife, (yes, popular trend there I see ) and I am only getting one.

I have flown the Airhogs Havoc and wasn't long before I was adding weight and tweeking that guy for more speed and silly fun. I have flown the 4 chnl Mcx at the LHS without issues.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Your thoughts?

Thx,
jimmy
Jimmy JFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
Old Dec 07, 2011, 04:19 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy JFlyer View Post
Hey Scotsoft, if you are still watching this thread, may I ask what your opinion is on the biggest difference in flight characteristics between the S107g and the S108g?

I like the scale looks better, tho it seems the S107g has it in manueverability?
If only so slightly? Or if there is a difference, is it so little as to not matter much.
For me the biggest difference is a historical one, the S107 was the first Syma I bought so it will always be a fav of mine.
For general flying round a room there is not such a difference between them so either one I feel you would be happy with.
You might see in the S107 video I can make the S107 do a sort of nose and tail in "funnels", I cannot get the S108 to do this no matter what I try. I can get the S111G Coastguard to almost do these "tricks" but the S107 is much better doing them.

I like the scale look of the new Syma helis as they look great in the air and even sitting waiting to take off, but they have one drawback. If you need to get inside to do repairs there are more screws to remove before you get to the working parts in a scale heli than you have with the S107. However, read the next part below.

I have flown the Airhogs Havoc and wasn't long before I was adding weight and tweeking that guy for more speed and silly fun. I have flown the 4 chnl Mcx at the LHS without issues.
If you feel you will want to start modding your heli once Santa has been, then the S107 comes top of the list for this purpose. You are probably aware of the many threads here dedicated to modding the S107, so if you eventually plan on modding it has to be the S107. Spare parts are also much more readily available for the S107. You can get spare parts for the scale models but they are not as widely available as they are for the S107.

You write you flew the mCX , the 4ch co-ax helis are much more versatile, I have the mCX, mCX S300, mCX2 and mSR and wonder whether your wonderful, caring understanding wife (let her read this part lol) would go as far as get you a 4ch heli rather than a 3ch one?

These have the scope to be modified and have their own threads in this forum as well as other forums. I think I have only one very short video on You Tube of me flying a 4ch heli, the mCX S300 and it's not a flight video as such, it was to show off an optical illusion of it only having one set of rotor blades.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I hope my ramblings have given you something to think about
Please feel free to ask me as many questions as you want, I am happy to help where I can.

Your thoughts?
Thx,
jimmy
Hi Jimmy

I still lurk here I have filled in some answers under your questions above.

cheers John.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 08:53 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,122 Posts
John, thank you soooo much for taking the time to let me know all of that. You are a huge help. Knowing what I know now, I may like scale looks more but place much more importance on mod-ability and versatility not to mention replacement parts for all the oopsies... and now the choice is quite a simple one. Just all the threads on the mods alone will be a great read and leads to more adventure.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas!!!
jimmy
Jimmy JFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
Old Dec 07, 2011, 09:18 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy JFlyer View Post
John, thank you soooo much for taking the time to let me know all of that. You are a huge help. Knowing what I know now, I may like scale looks more but place much more importance on mod-ability and versatility not to mention replacement parts for all the oopsies... and now the choice is quite a simple one. Just all the threads on the mods alone will be a great read and leads to more adventure.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas!!!
jimmy

Anytime Jimmy, pleased I have been able to help
Have a great flying holiday
Old Dec 08, 2011, 05:54 AM
China, Guangdong
Joined Oct 2011
904 Posts
I have just finished uploading my last videos.It's about Syma S107,I think S107 would be better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ve59LzAU_M.

There may be some ads in the video, you can skip it.Just share my flying experience.
Aaron qin is offline Find More Posts by Aaron qin
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 08, 2011, 06:46 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron qin View Post
i have just finished uploading my last videos.it's about syma s107,i think s107 would be better.

There may be some ads in the video, you can skip it.just share my flying experience.
some ads???

It is one big ad!!!