Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:10 PM
Stick banger
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94'325is View Post
Oh forgot, one other tip.

When using the metal wing bolts, make sure to check them EVERY flight. Mine have gotten loose and I've lost a wing twice. One good way of preventing that and still keeping them easily removable is to cut a small disk of sandpaper and put it on the wingbolt. It stops them from coming loose but it's not as permanent as Loktite.
You can also grab some rubber o-rings from a hardware store and put them on the bolts, they work really well as lock washers on bolts that aren't tightly torqued.
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:32 PM
Wendell, NC
Joined Jun 2010
1,218 Posts
Guess I should subscribe to this one.
lazor 22 is offline Find More Posts by lazor 22
Old Aug 31, 2011, 01:50 PM
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Sep 2008
800 Posts
I have a V2 SHP with a tad over 200 flights. I was thinking of trying V3 wings with the SFGs to help my harriers.

Will the V3 wings work on a V2 fuse? Same spar size, same position on fuse, some anti-rotation point? This may be something only the vendor can answer since they know the specs or anyone who owns both air frames.

Thanks,

Mike
Brownie433 is offline Find More Posts by Brownie433
Old Aug 31, 2011, 05:41 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie433 View Post
I have a V2 SHP with a tad over 200 flights. I was thinking of trying V3 wings with the SFGs to help my harriers.

Will the V3 wings work on a V2 fuse? Same spar size, same position on fuse, some anti-rotation point? This may be something only the vendor can answer since they know the specs or anyone who owns both air frames.

Thanks,

Mike
I'm not the vendor... nor do I know if the wings will work... but if it turns out the wings don't fit, you could try making some custom SFG's:

http://www.rcwebclub.com/Articles/Te...5/Default.aspx

You should probably beef up the wood so it's not as flimsy since it won't be between the wing and the stock SFG's... and you may want to use a wood screw to install them, then take it out, soak the hole with some thin or medium CA, the after it's dry re-install them.

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Aug 31, 2011, 07:24 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,603 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread. I have a yellow V2 with almost 200 flights on it, and a blue V2 NIB for backup. I really love this plane. You can fly it as easy or hard as you want.

I'm just wondering if 3DHS replaces this one with the Buck & 1/2 Huck.

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Aug 31, 2011, 07:36 PM
United States, OK, Norman
Joined Mar 2010
1,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I'm just wondering if 3DHS replaces this one with the Buck & 1/2 Huck.

Chuck
Last I heard... they are keeping the SHP but they do plan to make a v4 with a few updates to the current airframe. I certainly wouldn't want to start speculating on the possible changes, probably minimal stuff since the v3 is already so nice.

There is only one change I'd wish for... an airfoiled elevator since that would be a bit stronger than the flat one it currently has. An option for either a recommended 3S or 4S setup would be nice for some... I'm partial to the 3S so it wouldn't be something I'd ask for... but I'm not everyone.

In the end, it will be tough for them to top the excellent model they already have in the SHP.

Randy
rdsok is offline Find More Posts by rdsok
Old Aug 31, 2011, 08:11 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
I agree I think the changes will be minimal. Just a few tweaks and of course a couple new awesome Km color schemes. I mentioned something about airfoiled tail in the other thread when the new version was first mentioned. From what I gathered the non airfoiled tail has much to to with the docility of this plane. If one wanted a more aggressive version then the velox would fit the bill much better. I have been trying to push the limits with it lately by overpowering it and trying to get more throw than it's designed for. I guess my best bet would be to leave it as it is and get another airframe with more aggressive handling characteristics. That way I'll always have a super forgiving plane to fall back on and or something to let others Sip the Kool-aid. I have a couple friends who are very interested in this plane so I plan on letting them get a pull on it next time I see them at the field. Got to spread the Awesomeness.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:02 PM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
I agree I think the changes will be minimal. Just a few tweaks and of course a couple new awesome Km color schemes. I mentioned something about airfoiled tail in the other thread when the new version was first mentioned. From what I gathered the non airfoiled tail has much to to with the docility of this plane. If one wanted a more aggressive version then the velox would fit the bill much better. I have been trying to push the limits with it lately by overpowering it and trying to get more throw than it's designed for. I guess my best bet would be to leave it as it is and get another airframe with more aggressive handling characteristics. That way I'll always have a super forgiving plane to fall back on and or something to let others Sip the Kool-aid. I have a couple friends who are very interested in this plane so I plan on letting them get a pull on it next time I see them at the field. Got to spread the Awesomeness.
yeah, I think that HUGE flat horizontal stab/elevator helps make it forgiving
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:08 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,603 Posts
Adding airfoiled tailfeathers would surely drive up the price.

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:13 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,706 Posts
ah but now that all you guys spent $150, what's $30 more?!!?

trust me, eventually you will get to the point where $150x10 seems totally reasonable to spend on a plane!!!11111!!!
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:35 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
An airfoiled stab will make it more stable because the air will flow over the surface smoother making for less buffeting... that's why full scale aircraft don't just put a hinged piece of plywood on the back (well there are more reasons...) If you want it to be docile... then turn back the rates. Now, we have a super stable SHP and with low rates anybody can fly it, and with high, you can really step up your game without having to spend another $300-$500 to set up a velox or slick or whatever... it just makes sense.

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:21 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Well we can all speculate but only time will tell. One thing I do know is it flys great the way it is so anything they do to improve it will just make it that much better.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Sep 01, 2011, 11:15 AM
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Sep 2008
800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
I'm not the vendor... nor do I know if the wings will work... but if it turns out the wings don't fit, you could try making some custom SFG's:

http://www.rcwebclub.com/Articles/Te...5/Default.aspx

You should probably beef up the wood so it's not as flimsy since it won't be between the wing and the stock SFG's... and you may want to use a wood screw to install them, then take it out, soak the hole with some thin or medium CA, the after it's dry re-install them.

--Tom K.
Thanks Tom. I might look at that if the V3 wings won't work. I'm thinking they will but that's only a guess. Hopefully someone may know.

Mike
Brownie433 is offline Find More Posts by Brownie433
Old Sep 01, 2011, 12:29 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
An airfoiled stab will make it more stable because the air will flow over the surface smoother making for less buffeting... that's why full scale aircraft don't just put a hinged piece of plywood on the back (well there are more reasons...) If you want it to be docile... then turn back the rates. Now, we have a super stable SHP and with low rates anybody can fly it, and with high, you can really step up your game without having to spend another $300-$500 to set up a velox or slick or whatever... it just makes sense.

--Tom K.
airfoil doesn't make the surface smoother, but it helps the air stay laminar in more attitudes. a flat surface creates turbulated air a lot sooner. the handling improvement is more for when the plane is at speed then during 3D, but biggest benefit is strength, people will simply be able to push them harder. as for full scale, a great many full scale planes have flat tail surfaces; pitts biplanes, lasers, even some Edges...

theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Sep 01, 2011, 01:43 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
airfoil doesn't make the surface smoother, but it helps the air stay laminar in more attitudes. a flat surface creates turbulated air a lot sooner. the handling improvement is more for when the plane is at speed then during 3D, but biggest benefit is strength, people will simply be able to push them harder. as for full scale, a great many full scale planes have flat tail surfaces; pitts biplanes, lasers, even some Edges...
neat info and photo! thanks km.
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg