HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:26 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,425 Posts
Greg, I have Version 1....it has the green on top and white/black on bottom......any suggestions?

Jerry Festa
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:40 PM
Uruguay, Flores, Trinidad
Joined Oct 2012
41 Posts
NTM Prop Drive Series 42-58 500kv / 1300w

Hi. I have been reading this forum several times but I havenīt found any reference to this particular motor. I thought it was odd since itīs the same size of the stock one. Does anyone have any experience with this one? I have one in the cart but some info would be really appreciated to make my choice. I would like to use a MasterAirscrew 16x10 with the NTM. Thanks!
djberna is online now Find More Posts by djberna
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:33 PM
Electric Columnist
Fuquay Varina, NC
Joined Dec 2000
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djberna View Post
Hi. Have you changed the stock motor? I have a Turnigy 16x10 prop and a Master Airscrew 16x8 but I donīt feel like it has enough power. I was thinking if I should buy the ones that you have but I would like some more information. Any help would be really appreciated!
I'm using the stock motor on 4S. With the scale prop it pulled 65 amps and the only thing I didn't like was how it felt when I reduced throttle. It felt like it was going to stop due to drag of the 4-bladed prop.

I decided to try an APC-E 18x12 but only had an 18x10 so I went with that. Even though the current dropped to 48 amps, the plane felt so much better. When I finally got the 18x12 prop I felt like it was the sweet spot. About 52 amps according to the wattmeter.

Greg
Greg Gimlick is offline Find More Posts by Greg Gimlick
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:39 PM
Electric Columnist
Fuquay Varina, NC
Joined Dec 2000
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailskid2 View Post
Greg, I have Version 1....it has the green on top and white/black on bottom......any suggestions?
Jerry Festa
I haven't seen version 1 so I don't know what changes were made. On mine everything seemed fine, but the CG seemed WAY too far back at 110mm and I think 90-95 is right. Control throws were good as recommended, but I did increase the rudder throw after the first few flights.

I don't have any elev mixing with the flaps and it doesn't seem to need it.

I may get some 4" wheels and open the wells up enough to accommodate them. I fly from grass and if the grass is a bit long, the gear doors attached to the legs catch a bit.

Greg
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:45 PM
United States, MA, Sterling
Joined Sep 2009
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djberna View Post
Hi. I have been reading this forum several times but I havenīt found any reference to this particular motor. I thought it was odd since itīs the same size of the stock one. Does anyone have any experience with this one? I have one in the cart but some info would be really appreciated to make my choice. I would like to use a MasterAirscrew 16x10 with the NTM. Thanks!
My buddy tried one off those on his with the stock prop and it was to much for it but went really well until it burned up. That prop you have may work well with it though
Beancounter is online now Find More Posts by Beancounter
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:06 PM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMaster39 View Post
But I ended up adding some of those little servo arm connectors and a piece of metal control rod to make it really easy to adjust the the tail wheel centering. This way I could just tie a knot in the wire on both ends and slide the control rod to make adjustments. I also added some scrap-wood guides to keep things from flopping around when the tail wheel is retracted.
Thanks for that! I just had my maiden flight yesterday and realized that I have a problem getting the wheel aligned with the rudder. I will try your method.

Wow! this plane flies great! I like the stall characteristics. This is the easiest warbird that I have ever landed, but it could be due to size as this is the biggest warbird I have.
I got some footage. First landing was hard, but it got softer with subsequent attempts.

Starmax 1.6m P-47- Maiden flight, takeoffs and landings (3 min 38 sec)
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:32 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Sep 2003
581 Posts
Cockpit!!!?

I want to find this Hobby-Lobby Starmax P-47 cockpit as a spare part. The "seat" in the Hun Hunter from Hobbyking is just downright silly.

Mike
MikeF is offline Find More Posts by MikeF
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:33 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,766 Posts
Did the EDF stop in time on landing? hehe
The P-47 looks extremely 'floaty'. At all times... take-off... slow passes.... landings...

I need a carpark./runway like that! But even a bit bigger maybe....
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:34 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,766 Posts
Yes, that cockpit should turn up as a 'spare' you can buy eventually!! Very nicely done!
Maybe contact Starmax direct?

Tel: +86-755-29603705
Fax: +86-755-27507263
MSN: chen_taft@hotmail.com
Email: info@hawkwere.com
Hawkwere.chan@gmail.com
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:16 AM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
749 Posts
yeah Pete, never had an instance where the EDF ran out of runway. It has airbrakes, and they are quite effective. It's by Starmax too. Love it.

You are right, the big P-47 is much easier to fly, take off and land than the smaller Durafly P-51. I didn't notice any pitch change with flaps+gears deployed, and it floats like a butterfly. I was pleasantly surprised by the way it floats.

I didn't attempt a single loop or roll as the batteries were unsecured at the front of the plane.
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:26 AM
ham
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Dragør
Joined Mar 2007
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
Thanks for that! I just had my maiden flight yesterday and realized that I have a problem getting the wheel aligned with the rudder. I will try your method.

Wow! this plane flies great! I like the stall characteristics. This is the easiest warbird that I have ever landed, but it could be due to size as this is the biggest warbird I have.
I got some footage. First landing was hard, but it got softer with subsequent attempts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yPAWO8JS5E
Nice flying and nice video Miketre Gotta get mine in the air again soon (when it gets warmer). Have only flown funfighters and my Vampire lately and the P-47 seems so nice, big, and slow compared to the funfighters
ham is offline Find More Posts by ham
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:46 AM
Electric Columnist
Fuquay Varina, NC
Joined Dec 2000
784 Posts
Here is the video we shot of mine, most of it's kinda high, but you can hear the whine that motor made with the scale prop. When I did the APC-E 18x12 the whine subsided considerably.

KMP P-47 by Starmax (3 min 32 sec)
Last edited by Greg Gimlick; Jan 21, 2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:55 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,425 Posts
Maiden Flight

Well it flew....the tailwheel setup needs a LOT of attention and I think I will squeeze some more rudder throw. A bear on take-off, but I think that is mostly due to the slop in the tailwheel. Used stock motor, prop and a 4S 5000 battery. Plane felt a little tail heavy. Could only get in one flight as the right gear wire is VERY soft and a slight turn when on the ground bent it! My velcro'd bombs were removed before the first flight, but the rockets were epoxied so they stayed.
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by tailskid2; Jan 21, 2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:29 PM
Look out below
United States, OR, McMinnville
Joined Aug 2011
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailskid2 View Post
Well it flew....the tailwheel setup needs a LOT of attention A bear on take-off, but I think that is mostly due to the slop in the tailwheel.
She likes to pull hard if your fast on the throttle, just have to be ready on the rudder. But make sure the tailwheel is set right also.
mcnowhere is online now Find More Posts by mcnowhere
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:30 PM
Electric Columnist
Fuquay Varina, NC
Joined Dec 2000
784 Posts
Congrats on the flight. That big ol scale prop makes a lot of torque if you're not ready for it, it also makes a lot of drag when you throttle back.

The flaps on mine require almost no elevator mix even when I deeploy them all the way.

Where is your CG set? I'm using two 4S 5000 mah packs in parallel to get it to balance at the 95mm point.

Great photos of your flight.

Greg