HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2007, 07:58 PM
Joined Jul 2007
5 Posts
Question
New to the hobby

Not that I would consider it a hobby for myself,... but I am very interested in these new micro helicopters I'm seeing. My interest was piqued so I went out online to see what I could find on them... and I found you guys!

Okay,... I hear you... "shut up and what do you want?"

Well, my interest is piqued enough that I actually want to get one of these little marvels for myself. The probem is that I don't quite know what to get or what I really want.

I'm after one (or more ) of these RTF micro helicopters, but I'm not sure which ones I should be considering. I want something that's easy to fly, doesn't take a lot of trial and error to get it right, isn't "jerky" or unstable, and has a decent fly time between charges. Aesthetics are a plus but not a necessity, and price isn't really a hinderance as long as it isn't too ridiculous for something as small as they are. I'd say that I don't really want to spend over $75 per unit.

Can you guys sort of just throw out some suggestions, and possibly llinks, to what I may enjoy??

Thanks
Lighthawk Demon is offline Find More Posts by Lighthawk Demon
Last edited by Lighthawk Demon; Jul 12, 2007 at 08:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2007, 08:38 PM
Southern AL.
Joined Dec 2006
305 Posts
well, dont expect "definate" answers. People have different experiences with the helis. when you mass produce products that need a good amout of precision, there are definately a few that are faulty.

I can definatly name 2 that many people have had good experiences with.
Air Hogs Havoc (Picoo Z)
Micro Mosquito

I have had good expiriences with the Air Hogs havoc, but havnt used the micro mosquito before. the Havoc may have more stability than the micro mosquito, but the mosquito has the ability to controlled forward/backward movement.

If this is your first purchase of a micro flying machine, then get ready. This hobby is addictive.

If you have enough room, you might want to try the Air Hogs Aero ace. Its not a micro helicopter, but it is a load of fun. They are also durable. So far, there are 5 definate versions in the US, but the bipe is the original.

Air Hogs Havoc/Picoo Z

Micro Mosquito

Air Hogs Aero Ace
msim is offline Find More Posts by msim
Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:04 AM
Im stupider than you!
Pekin Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
1,722 Posts
Blade cx if you can afford it
rhondaward is offline Find More Posts by rhondaward
Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:17 AM
is it supposed to smoke??
canada alberta outside edmonton
Joined Apr 2007
2,918 Posts
id go strait for a blade cx there great little stable helis and tonnes of fun also try andf pick up a picco z
3dFlyer88 is offline Find More Posts by 3dFlyer88
Old Jul 13, 2007, 01:05 AM
Strongsville, OH
Joined May 2007
2,415 Posts
dude piccoz is a great starter!!!
ihor14448 is offline Find More Posts by ihor14448
Old Jul 13, 2007, 01:09 AM
is it supposed to smoke??
canada alberta outside edmonton
Joined Apr 2007
2,918 Posts
yeah its cheap and if u find out u dont like the hobby u didnt spend much lol
3dFlyer88 is offline Find More Posts by 3dFlyer88
Old Jul 13, 2007, 02:47 AM
WA
Joined Jun 2007
236 Posts
The ecoman mini hughes if you live near a fry's outlet.
hueyhog is offline Find More Posts by hueyhog
Old Jul 14, 2007, 07:22 AM
Joined Jul 2007
5 Posts
Thanks

Thanks the answers and the suggestions, guys. Much appreciated

I was looking mainly for something to run inside the house for now and maybe (later on down the road) graduate to something I can fly outdoors. I think I'll try one each of those mini Hughes, Havoc, and... perhaps I'll get the Mosquito one for now.

Once I get them (I'm heading out to the mall now) and try them out I'll try to post again later and let you know which one(s) I like/prefer.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 05:34 PM
Joined Jul 2007
5 Posts
All right...

I managed to pick up a Havoc and a Reflex but couldn't find the Mosquito or micro Hughes anywhere.

I tried both out and I have to say that I personally like the Reflex much better due to the control. The Havoc may be smaller, and to be quite honest I prefer the smaller size, but I'm finding it hard to keep the poor thing from either meeting the wall or the ceiling during its flights. I think someone like myself is probably benefitting from the counter rotating blades stability as opposed to trying to adjust the rotation on the Havoc vie the transmitter's trim buttons. Just a personal preference.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions, guys. It was most appreciated.

I like this hobby. I may just want to upgrade to something a little bigger after a while.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 06:01 PM
Smi
Joined Jul 2007
16 Posts
You're right about this being addictive, msim. I bought the Micro Mosquito about a week ago and have enjoyed it thoroughly. I find myself wistfully browsing this forum and various retailers, wanting to buy things!

I can vouch for the fun I've had with the MM - although it is a bit unstable and needs tweaking to get it to behave itself (Still not quite managed that.)
But...brilliant fun. Just annoyingly tempting to buy more...!
Smi is offline Find More Posts by Smi