HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:05 AM
Sureflite
Joined Jan 2006
234 Posts
Help!
Kyosho something? need some help (getting her running again)

The blades are 21"
powered by a Mega 22/30/3H with a jeti opto 70
Gyro is a 240 with a HS-6965 (digital 0.08sec 111oz thrust)

As some of you know I work at a hobby shop so you see good deals all the time, in this case it was a free heli
After a unamed person *cough* my boss *cough* almost destroyed the heli by being inpatient (throttle channel was reversed) I got it to hover just fine.

BUT.... I have questions, as it was given to me and I have no idea about this thing.

1.- Proper battery size for this (xSxP? xxxxmAh)
2.- Proper way to lube the pinion with main gear as it sound kinda bad
3.- The tail rotor sticks, what is the right way to lube or fix it?
4.- What is the cability of a heli like this (Yes I know I gave next to no info)

Thanks.
TonyBAMF is offline Find More Posts by TonyBAMF
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:29 AM
Joined Jul 2005
429 Posts
Don't lubricate exposed gears like the main and pinion gears. Oil or grease will attract and hold dirt and grit, not a good thing. If the gears sound that bad, it's prolly worth a replacement main, check the pinion too though to see if it's torn up, as if it is, it will kill more main gears.
koko76 is offline Find More Posts by koko76
Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:32 AM
Sureflite
Joined Jan 2006
234 Posts
there not torn up, thats the thing, just a ugly gear box type sound
Old Jul 14, 2006, 10:00 AM
Sureflite
Joined Jan 2006
234 Posts
bump

Bigest consern is the motor and what cell rating tu use
Old Jul 14, 2006, 02:45 PM
SCAMMERS WELCOME!!!!!!!!!
Kent, WA
Joined Dec 2003
2,797 Posts
try rotating everything by hand and see if there are rough spots. I agree about replacing the gears possibly even the shafts (main and tail)
trashmanf is offline Find More Posts by trashmanf
Old Jul 23, 2006, 11:34 PM
Sureflite
Joined Jan 2006
234 Posts
here are some pictures of the maiden flight.

Old Jul 23, 2006, 11:42 PM
Sureflite
Joined Jan 2006
234 Posts
The battery I tested was a 5S pack.
First thing I noticed was the amazing difference in flight caracteristics from this to a T-rex, this one was more stable and clean, but the rudder was not working as well as the T-rex at all, another problem I have was the pitch seems wrong, even with only 15% pitch It would take off before getting up to Middle stick (50% stick was 80% throttle 15% pitch)
The other reason I assumed the pitch was wrong was to the fact the RPM seems extremly low in a hover and got the motor very very hot, I coulden't touch it.

Are these helicopters able to fly upside down? and do are they even ment to have a negative pitch (tomorow I will break out the pitch guage and try to figure this out)

I am proud to say that now I want a T-Rex 600
Old Jul 24, 2006, 04:46 AM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
That looks like a concept 30 that has been converted to electric.
I had one and it was a good flying heli.

The mega motors tend to get pretty hot. A heat sink will help a lot.
The gears will make a lot of noise if the mesh is set improperly. It can be too tight or too loose.

If you can, get your throttle curve up early and keep it there.
The throttle curve can be something like 0---95----95. Then set your pitch curve so that you have about 6 or 7% at mid stick. Change your pitch curve to give you a hover at around mid stick if you are not flying 3D.

Since I can't fly well enough to fly upside down, I can't answer that. But if you are going to try, forget the pitch and throttle curve setting that I just suggested. You will need a totally different radio set up.

Tim
tdearth is offline Find More Posts by tdearth
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:57 AM
Sureflite
Joined Jan 2006
234 Posts
Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:03 PM
Sureflite
Joined Jan 2006
234 Posts
Now running from a 5S2P 4200mAh to a 5S3P 6300mAh, the bettery almost gets warm, and I found my problem after having a pitch gauge and a little less stupidity, the collective channel was reversed

Flying for about 7-8 minutes and did a drain of about 2300mAh so this thing while cruising around can last a while. , I do not plan to try anything more the simply FF and figure 8's with this as I would not be able to find parts when I crash it.
Old Jul 03, 2014, 11:19 PM
Joined Aug 2003
573 Posts
hi stock p range is 0 to+ 10 .the assembly book has heli set up as a baic trainer.check the tail control rod as it may be sticking in the tube or tube may have moved.places like tailwinz.com carry parts for these.
mdugas is offline Find More Posts by mdugas
Old Jul 04, 2014, 06:47 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko76 View Post
Don't lubricate exposed gears like the main and pinion gears. Oil or grease will attract and hold dirt and grit, not a good thing. If the gears sound that bad, it's prolly worth a replacement main, check the pinion too though to see if it's torn up, as if it is, it will kill more main gears.
Thunder Tiger recommends regularly lubing all gears and sells a tin of molykote EM30L for this purpose and RJX helicopter manuals say you should regularly lube the TT gears.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Jul 04, 2014, 10:36 AM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2013
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdearth View Post
That looks like a concept 30 that has been converted to electric.
I had one and it was a good flying heli.

The mega motors tend to get pretty hot. A heat sink will help a lot.
The gears will make a lot of noise if the mesh is set improperly. It can be too tight or too loose.

If you can, get your throttle curve up early and keep it there.
The throttle curve can be something like 0---95----95. Then set your pitch curve so that you have about 6 or 7% at mid stick. Change your pitch curve to give you a hover at around mid stick if you are not flying 3D.

Since I can't fly well enough to fly upside down, I can't answer that. But if you are going to try, forget the pitch and throttle curve setting that I just suggested. You will need a totally different radio set up.

Tim
You are correct, its a Concept .30 that has been converted to electric. The main clue is where the motor is mounted... A second clue is the unique inline flybar head. Third is the trim decals on the fins.
Oldgazer is online now Find More Posts by Oldgazer
Old Jul 04, 2014, 10:48 AM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2013
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBAMF View Post
The battery I tested was a 5S pack.
First thing I noticed was the amazing difference in flight caracteristics from this to a T-rex, this one was more stable and clean, but the rudder was not working as well as the T-rex at all, another problem I have was the pitch seems wrong, even with only 15% pitch It would take off before getting up to Middle stick (50% stick was 80% throttle 15% pitch)
The other reason I assumed the pitch was wrong was to the fact the RPM seems extremly low in a hover and got the motor very very hot, I coulden't touch it.

Are these helicopters able to fly upside down? and do are they even ment to have a negative pitch (tomorow I will break out the pitch guage and try to figure this out)

I am proud to say that now I want a T-Rex 600
Back in the day I had two Concepts, both ran OS .32H engines on between 15 and 35% nitro. Normal hover pitch is +5 degrees. Use your pitch gauge to set it up and then use your throttle curve to get into a hover.

I do not recall ever seeing a Concept .30 fly inverted, but that does not mean it cannot be done. With that being said, parts are no doubt very scarce, and a wise man would think about the consequences resulting from a failed inverted flight before he puts his stupid hat on...

From looking at the pictures this appears to be the older DX model with the plastic swash. With that being the case, you may discover the control links are sloppy. This is due to the fact that the plastic is actually a composite made with glass fibers. These fibers are VERY abrasive, and over time the ball ends will wear out the links. Kyosho addressed this issue in the SE model by switching to metal balls and other metal parts...
Oldgazer is online now Find More Posts by Oldgazer
Old Jul 04, 2014, 03:00 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,738 Posts
Looks to me to be a Concept EP that has been modified.
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member