Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 03, 2014, 07:51 PM
El Cajon, CA
Joined May 2007
283 Posts
Discussion
Symetrical wing?

So, to make a long story short, I have a couple of very nice EPP wings from some 3D foamies I have "retired". They are just the right size for a mini pop wing size wing. Can a good flying wing be made and flown from a symmetrical wing without shaving, cutting or sanding the bottom flat? Of course, the ailerons (elevons) would have to be cut down also, as they are huge on these. Or would they?
dynodude is offline Find More Posts by dynodude
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2014, 08:54 PM
Aerobatics!
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Nov 2007
2,364 Posts
This wing is completely symmetrical and has huge elevons. You should be okay.

Katoflips @ Garfield (1 min 19 sec)
JGAF is online now Find More Posts by JGAF
Old Mar 03, 2014, 08:59 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynodude View Post
So, to make a long story short, I have a couple of very nice EPP wings from some 3D foamies I have "retired". They are just the right size for a mini pop wing size wing. Can a good flying wing be made and flown from a symmetrical wing without shaving, cutting or sanding the bottom flat? Of course, the ailerons (elevons) would have to be cut down also, as they are huge on these. Or would they?
A symmetrical airfoil works fine for powered wings where maximum aerodynamic efficiency isn't required. The Spinsation is a fine flying example.
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Mar 04, 2014, 07:33 PM
El Cajon, CA
Joined May 2007
283 Posts
Thanks guys. Gonna start cutting this tonite. Looks like it will be about the size of a mini pop wing. What would be a good motor that will work on 2's and 3's and be fast?
Old Mar 06, 2014, 08:35 PM
Crash testing services
Joined Dec 2004
60 Posts
Absolutely! A symetrical wing will fly better than a flat bottom. And, it will fly the same upside down. I make some of my wings symetrical when I want them to perform a little better than a trainer. Oh and if you want it to go fast and slow, a symetrical wing will require less trim between the two. On the motor, I'm not sure what people are using on that, but if you want speed, think high kv, like 2800 or 3500 and a small prop. Look at the weight of the recommended motor for a starting point. Also, I haven't noticed the ailerons needing to be huge in comparison, but definitely larger than with a flat bottom, maybe 50% area.
purpleturnip is offline Find More Posts by purpleturnip
Last edited by purpleturnip; Mar 06, 2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 01:34 PM
El Cajon, CA
Joined May 2007
283 Posts
What about this one:
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...arehouse_.html
I think 40 watts will be more than enough power and on 3's it should scream. I have this Dualsky on it now, so I will see how it does when I maiden it this weekend.
http://www.2dogrc.com/dualsky-xmotor...r-42w-515.html
Old Mar 07, 2014, 02:13 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynodude View Post
Of course, the ailerons (elevons) would have to be cut down also, as they are huge on these. Or would they?
If you mean chord length I would leave them long, at least 25% of the local chord. You will need to have up deflection for straight and level flight. The aft portion of your wing is your horizontal tail, albeit very short.
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2014, 01:43 AM
El Cajon, CA
Joined May 2007
283 Posts
So here it is. Gonna try and maiden it this weekend. Specs on this are:
185 grams AUW
26" wing span
14" length

The parts were stuff I had, but it all looked good for this build.
Hyperion 850 mAh 2 cell
Dualsky XM2212MA-25 2160 kV
Dualsky 6A ESC
JR SM22 servos 9 grams
Spektrum AR6310 RX
6x3 direct drive prop

The elevons are huge, and with the long arms on the servos the throws were insane. I dialed them down to about 15 deg, at least until I see how (if) it flies.I have 3 deg of reflex to start out with.

Well, should be fun. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the help. Comments and opinions welcome.